E350 Chinook Build

eporter

Adventurer
Haha I’m just stirring the pot and hoping to see more cool converted Chinooks like the amazing one in this thread.

Brianblair

Wow, crazy. I figured there was a small crossover year on SE and v10. I've had one 460 motorhome and one 460 SMB. I'll never have another 460. Just too old and thirsty. The V10, SE combo is definitely the ticket.

Nice find @eporter! If that was a V10 I might buy it sight unseen. I'd really like to know if it's an OBDII 460 being 96 but motorhome manufacturers don't always use a chassis from the same year as their model. Could be a 94-95 chassis. No OBDII, no bueno for me.

Sorry, back to the thread.....

Bingo.....

willywalderbeast

Master of None
4D80C14D-B7CD-4264-B473-E916165F4E4E.jpegWondering if anyone has ever run studded snow tires on a large heavy vehicle like an RV? My tires are about 30% so I was thinking of studding them (Cooper ST Maxx are studdable) before I take off in Dec since I plan on getting new tires in the spring. Im getting the Ikon pass and planning to chase snow and put in 75+ days ski bumming out West. I’ll be carrying a set of chains as well. I’ve run studded snows on a ton of vehicles over the years but nothing this heavy. I think it should be fine but just figured I’d ask if anyone has done so.

java

Expedition Leader
View attachment 540132Wondering if anyone has ever run studded snow tires on a large heavy vehicle like an RV? My tires are about 30% so I was thinking of studding them (Cooper ST Maxx are studdable) before I take off in Dec since I plan on getting new tires in the spring. Im getting the Ikon pass and planning to chase snow and put in 75+ days ski bumming out West. I’ll be carrying a set of chains as well. I’ve run studded snows on a ton of vehicles over the years but nothing this heavy. I think it should be fine but just figured I’d ask if anyone has done so.

Why studs? Modern snow tires are worlds ahead of old ones. Studs are good for ice and ice only IMO.

A MT is not going to do as well as an AT in snow. They are designed to fling and clear the voids, snow tires want to hold the snow. Snow on snow is good traction.

I have run chains on mine when needed, but its not often.

eporter

Adventurer
I personally kinda hate studs as they tear up the roads and people out here in the NW have some obsession with them. Nothing like hearing them drive by you in the city, in August, even though they aren’t legal after April...

I was inspired by Bill Fischer’s Chinook ski adventures. 10k winter miles ski road tripping from VA to BC. He had Duratracs and said they were so great that he decided not to go 4x4. Had chains but never used them. I forgot his blog link but he on the forums.

java

Expedition Leader
I personally kinda hate studs as they tear up the roads and people out here in the NW have some obsession with them. Nothing like hearing them drive by you in the city, in August, even though they aren’t legal after April...

I was inspired by Bill Fischer’s Chinook ski adventures. 10k winter miles ski road tripping from VA to BC. He had Duratracs and said they were so great that he decided not to go 4x4. Had chains but never used them. I forgot his blog link but he on the forums.
The duratracs are great for the first 2 years.... They get HARD after that. I have them on my 4runner.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Stevemo

Go ahead and put studs in snow-flake rated winter tires if you want but don't waste your time on studded mud tires. Plain snow-flake rated winter tires would be far better than studded mud tires.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Why studs? Modern snow tires are worlds ahead of old ones. Studs are good for ice and ice only IMO.

A MT is not going to do as well as an AT in snow. They are designed to fling and clear the voids, snow tires want to hold the snow. Snow on snow is good traction.

I have run chains on mine when needed, but its not often.

I’m not going to buy dedicated snow tires for the rig as we’ll be on the road full time with no where to store them. ST Maxx’s are AT tires not MTs. They actually perform very well in the snow and figure studs would only help and since I’m getting new tires in the spring why not.

Studded snow tires are night and day better then non studded snows imo. I’ve had multiple rwd BMWs that would not move in the snow until I put studded snows on them and they turned into little tanks in the snow. If you don’t mind the noise they are worth it imo.

I agree, people who leave them on till Aug are the worst.
The duratracs are great for the first 2 years.... They get HARD after that. I have them on my 4runner.

I really like the duratracs, it came down to duratracs or the ST Maxx. I have the ST Maxx’s on 3 of my vehicles.

Go ahead and put studs in snow-flake rated winter tires if you want but don't waste your time on studded mud tires. Plain snow-flake rated winter tires would be far better than studded mud tires.

I’m not arguing that dedicated studded snow tires are the best option for ultimate performance. It’s just not an option atm due to being on the road full time and no where to store them.

java

Expedition Leader
ST Maxx is pretty much on the verge of at/mt I guess.

But yeah a studded st Maxx would be a good snow bet.

I run a Toyo M608z, but it's more Mt than I would like.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
My buddy started tacking up the rear bumper the other night and the pivots for the swing always are in!! I’m super excited to get this bumper on. Also ordered a new beefy ladder for accessing the roof. Going to relocate it on the side rear section of the camper from the stock locating that was on the back now that the rear bumper won’t really be accessible. Bought a storage tank ladder that we will modify to work. 604D3240-94D2-4701-A66C-1EF5369B0908.jpeg5FA726AD-092B-4D85-B0BB-BF91B8DCB6A9.jpeg5B02BB3C-253D-4739-8CBE-50F5E73B9DAF.jpeg

java

Expedition Leader
Why not build a ladder into one of the swing outs? Ladder on the side is asking to get it ripped off IMO

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Seems like it would be a pain in the ass to use if I built it into a swing out. You would have to climb over a tire or a large box to use, nevermind the fact that the motorcycle will be in the way as an obstacle.

java

Expedition Leader
Seems like it would be a pain in the ass to use if I built it into a swing out. You would have to climb over a tire or a large box to use, nevermind the fact that the motorcycle will be in the way as an obstacle.
Forgot about the motorcycle, but yes a tire or a box are in the way... I climb my door hinges and spare to get to the roof when needed, so maybe I just have a different view on things! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998