1st time truck owner (soon to be) and just discovered Overlanding, need help.

reaver

I have been wheeling for 30+ years (I'm not bragging! I'm just old).... THIS ^^^ is solid advice. Go out and learn the limits of the vehicle, and yourself.
If the TRD Pro comes with a traction device, like e-lockers, your already money up. I can make it most places on 28" tires that some Jeeps struggle with... hey are outfitted with every bolt on in the book~ Snazzy bumpers, winch, arb's front and back, long arm kits, anti rock diso's, 33's... etc.

WHY? Because I know my rigs limitations and use it to the best of my ability. Don't get me wrong, some upgrades will be necessary over time to get where you like to go, but driver skill is worth more in the long run! Knowing how to pick lines, understanding your cog, and how your particular rig might adapt to certain terrain based on the advantages/ disadvantages it has.

This is the typical order of things for myself at least.

COMFORT> This is first. If your gonna camp in it and have fun in the outdoor arena then none of the above matters if you get out there and are uncomfortable! This means the gear you tote along on your outings. Nice sleeping platform/ tent or whatever... good bag... you get the jist.

Just drive vehicle initially. See what gets stressed based on conditions your apt to drive in.

Make sure your tires are adequate~ You wouldn't roll out into a snow storm with slicks, right? If you like basic meandering on and off road. Then a good AT tire will suffice. (To many to list...), If your primarily off the beaten path, then a bit more aggressive. And so on. If it's a weekend warrior, consider a set of rollies for the week commute to work and a set of campers to throw on when you head out for the "getaway"! Yah, it's money up front, but you will love it later when your only buying some new cheapo's for the commute.

Recovery~ winch, come along, shovel, some form of jack/ lift. Straps, shackles a pulley and so on... Lot's of options and opinions here, so do some reading and learning~

Traction~ Selectable lockers are king. E- lockers are great standard! If it's just an offroad beater then throw a Detroit, Aussie or whatever in the rear and maybe a selectable up front. These are costly... so only WHEN needed. IMO it's money better spent than a lift right up front.

A little extra height~ At some point you may want to add a bit of ground clearance... but be sensible! Remember the higher you go, the worse off your center of gravity. Sucks on the steeps when things shift and your top heavy. Also consider the offset of gearing when lifting and adding larger tires! I mean a couple of inches, you probably aren't going to notice a ton of power loss and your speedo might be four or five miles off... but add another few inches on up, things start to add up. Gears, the associated lift, suspension and so on... wait on this as long as you can and just learn to drive and have fun camping/ exploring.
^^Very solid advice here. I've only been doing this for a couple of years now. My current rig is a bone stock 2004 Colorado z71. No lift, mud tires, and a couple of radios. That's it. It's served me fairly well for the last two years. I've learned that for my needs, and what I want to do, it's just not a great fit, at least not without spending probably 6-7 grand, and my options are pretty limited.

So,instead of spending that money adapting the vehicle, and fixing some design problems with the truck, I've decided my money is best spent buying a dedicated adventure rig.

For my needs, I've chosen a first gen xterra. Good space, strong drive train, reliable engine, and simple to maintain. The only mods I'm planning in the first year are skids and a swing out tire carrier.

I wanna see what the limitations of the vehicle are. When I need to, I'll toss an Arb in the rear, but I'm planning on putting a lokka in the front with manual hubs before I do the Arb. That might be all I need.

But again, I feel it's best to use the vehicle as it is for a while, and see what needs tweaking before dropping loads of cash on mods you may not even need.

shade

Welcome to ExPo! ?

Past mounting appropriate tyres if the truck doesn't already come with them, add an air compressor for airing down/up (airing down tyres make a big difference in comfort, traction, and tyre durability off-road), and a shovel. Traveling with a friend and their tow strap is also warranted if you think you might get stuck. When confronted by a difficult obstacle, never be too proud to turn around or to ask for help.

Before adding or modifying anything further, give this a read:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
If you really want to tow a trailer that will sleep 4-6 I don’t think a midsize truck is for you. Look at what trailers would work for you, look at that trailers GVWR, then choose a truck that has a tow capacity at least 25% higher than that.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
100% agree with the advice to use your truck stock. This is what my previous truck looked like for the first couple of years I owned it.

DSC00916_mid.jpg

It didn't stay like that, several iterations of suspension, tires, gears, armor, etc. But when I finally sold that truck 200k miles later I remember having the most fun with it less built since we actually did things, went places rather than wrenching on it. I won't claim I'm a great driver but I like to think I'm OK and if so that's because driving an open diff, 235/75R15 BFG AT, stock geared mini truck for several years made me so.

About 12 years after that photo was taken I drove this same truck (still IFS though on 33"x10.50 MT and a 4.7 Marlin transfer case with sliders) through the Rubicon. It looked like this, not what you'd really call built up "a lot".

rubithon_27_mid.jpg

Last edited:

dman93

Adventurer
Lots of good advice here, but I think @Teri Mitti you should define what you mean by “overlanding”. Are you planning to travel around the world, or explore the mountains, deserts, and forests of the US on rough dirt roads, camping in dispersed areas? I do a bit of the latter in a stock Tacoma TRD OffRoad double cab with 5’ bed, a ground tent and basic “car camping” gear. I had a roof top tent and sold it; it may work for some, but I found the weight, setup/tear down hassles and lack of flexibility a poor tradeoff for its (few) benefits. I installed rock sliders because I had really torn up the rocker panels of a previous 4x4 I owned, but I don’t think I’ve ever touched them on anything rougher than brush yet. By the way, that previous 4x4 was lifted with larger tires, but without good sliders (unavailable back then) the lift was still not enough to prevent body damage, yet reduced the ride quality, handling, and fuel economy.

On my current Tacoma, I also installed slightly more aggressive tires, but only after the stock ones wore out, and I an under hood air compressor plus a few extra 12V outlets. For domestic use, keep it stock, keep it as small and light and simple as you can. Better to carry 100 pounds of extra water, food, beer - or gasoline - than 100 pounds of “expo” gear you don’t really need.

For international overlanding, other experts should chime in.

billiebob

1- I know 2020 Tacoma has a clearance of 9.4, but do I need to lift it?
NO !

Especially if I am going to do later: tuff, harsh and difficult terrains during all seasons?
2- Will the moonroof be a problem when I add later a tent on top of the roof?
NO, not an issue.

3- If the 2020 Tacoma TRD Pro can not be used, what trim from 2020 can be used and what accessories I need to add?
Box Stock the Tacoma is an awesome, capable truck. The big concern with any light pickup is overloading it. Wait til you actually discover you NEED something, don't just start buying and boltoing things on or you will be over weight before your first trip.

4- I reside in Queens, NY. I am looking to connect with Tacoma clubs/groups who reside close to my location.

5- From my little research over the last few weeks, it seems like, if I am looking to add Overlanding accessories like bumpers, etc., I may have to find a place outside of NY State to do this. Is there any place in NY State or where would you guys recommend?
Don't do any of this stuff until you have done some overlanding and find a need. AND before changing things like bumpers, figure out how much weight you are adding.

billiebob

heres a great read

Don't try to substitute accessories for training and experience. Get out and use that 4x4 before doing any modifications. Join a 4 wheeler club and follow, don't lead. Most 4x4s are incredibly capable stock. Most modified 4x4s are fragile and prone to breaking on the trail. Learn to drive first. Tread lightly is a driving style to not disturb the ground, watersheds, trails you run on but it is also a driving style which will be easier on your 4x4 and save you from breaking down. Find guys to wheel with who tread lightly..... unless you like wrecking the environment and destroying yer 4x4.

Last edited:

billiebob

Most light pickups have very low payload capacities, but fabulous towing ratings. IF you must have lots of stuff on the trail, consider a trailer to keep the weight of the pickup legal.

Teri Mitti

FWIW, here’s a recent analysis on the Toyota Tacoma’s towing ability:
View attachment 546073

Click on this link for the story:
FWIW, here’s a recent analysis on the Toyota Tacoma’s towing ability:
View attachment 546073

Click on this link for the story:
Thank you for the link.

Teri Mitti

I have been wheeling for 30+ years (I'm not bragging! I'm just old).... THIS ^^^ is solid advice. Go out and learn the limits of the vehicle, and yourself.
If the TRD Pro comes with a traction device, like e-lockers, your already money up. I can make it most places on 28" tires that some Jeeps struggle with... hey are outfitted with every bolt on in the book~ Snazzy bumpers, winch, arb's front and back, long arm kits, anti rock diso's, 33's... etc.

WHY? Because I know my rigs limitations and use it to the best of my ability. Don't get me wrong, some upgrades will be necessary over time to get where you like to go, but driver skill is worth more in the long run! Knowing how to pick lines, understanding your cog, and how your particular rig might adapt to certain terrain based on the advantages/ disadvantages it has.

This is the typical order of things for myself at least.

COMFORT> This is first. If your gonna camp in it and have fun in the outdoor arena then none of the above matters if you get out there and are uncomfortable! This means the gear you tote along on your outings. Nice sleeping platform/ tent or whatever... good bag... you get the jist.

Just drive vehicle initially. See what gets stressed based on conditions your apt to drive in.

Make sure your tires are adequate~ You wouldn't roll out into a snow storm with slicks, right? If you like basic meandering on and off road. Then a good AT tire will suffice. (To many to list...), If your primarily off the beaten path, then a bit more aggressive. And so on. If it's a weekend warrior, consider a set of rollies for the week commute to work and a set of campers to throw on when you head out for the "getaway"! Yah, it's money up front, but you will love it later when your only buying some new cheapo's for the commute.

Recovery~ winch, come along, shovel, some form of jack/ lift. Straps, shackles a pulley and so on... Lot's of options and opinions here, so do some reading and learning~

Traction~ Selectable lockers are king. E- lockers are great standard! If it's just an offroad beater then throw a Detroit, Aussie or whatever in the rear and maybe a selectable up front. These are costly... so only WHEN needed. IMO it's money better spent than a lift right up front.

A little extra height~ At some point you may want to add a bit of ground clearance... but be sensible! Remember the higher you go, the worse off your center of gravity. Sucks on the steeps when things shift and your top heavy. Also consider the offset of gearing when lifting and adding larger tires! I mean a couple of inches, you probably aren't going to notice a ton of power loss and your speedo might be four or five miles off... but add another few inches on up, things start to add up. Gears, the associated lift, suspension and so on... wait on this as long as you can and just learn to drive and have fun camping/ exploring.
WOW, a lot of food for thoughts. I am beginning to understand the concepts more and more by adding layers of information I am collecting. What keeps coming into my thoughts about me and the vehicle is, when I get out there I will learn more about how my vehicle is reacting and taking it from there. Your information has helped me see things I needed to and with all of the other replies, I am moving the scale towards progress.
Thank you.

MOguy

Explorer
Hello all,

Originally, I was going to buy my 1st truck for work commute and light off-road activities (I have waited long for this opportunity). The idea was to get a truck that allows me to go camping and later set it up to pull a small boat and a 4-6 bed occupancy camper. I would be more of a weekend warrior but during Spring and Summer, I would be out and about for longer periods. I have my eyes on the 2020 Tacoma TRD Pro, 4WD, 3.5L V6 engine, 6-speed automatic transmission, double cab, 5 ft bed. Then I discovered oerlanding and I was sold. I never knew this existed. I am now putting my purchase for Tacoma 2020 TRD Pro on hold.

Disclaimer, I know nothing about trucks and how to set it up for Overlanding. I am conducting research, looking at YouTube, etc., thus far.

Here are some of my questions:

1- I know 2020 Tacoma has a clearance of 9.4, but do I need to lift it? Especially if I am going to do later: tuff, harsh and difficult terrains during all seasons?
2- Will the moonroof be a problem when I add later a tent on top of the roof?
3- If the 2020 Tacoma TRD Pro can not be used, what trim from 2020 can be used and what accessories I need to add?
4- I reside in Queens, NY. I am looking to connect with Tacoma clubs/groups who reside close to my location.
5- From my little research over the last few weeks, it seems like, if I am looking to add Overlanding accessories like bumpers, etc., I may have to find a place outside of NY State to do this. Is there any place in NY State or where would you guys recommend?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
I would prefer an SUV over a truck for overlanding. You can secure you gear better and keep it better protected from the element.

Get a vehicle suited to easily tow what you want than worry about setting it up for overlanding.

Think of overlanding as camping when you go off-roading. For the camping aspect you don't need anything you can't find at Walmart, you many want other fancier things and that is fine bur you don't need them to do this successfully as a weekend warrior.

For the offroading part keep the weight down on your camping stuff. Think the terrain you want to wheel on and build from there.

I am a weekend warrior and fit it all into a Jeep Wrangler but they would not be a good choice if you are wanting to too a 4-6 person trailer.

I can't see why either the Tacoma (I would look at the 4Runner) wouldn't suit you needs.

There are new mid size Fords and Chevys but I have never seen one on the trail and have no first hand knowledge of how good they are or are not.

If you want to do harder off-road a Wrangler is a good choice if you can deal with a smaller trailer.

As far as off road accessories? Get what ever you can stock (such as lockers). Bumpers for winches get expensive and heavy, think about all of this when you budget and plan. You don't need the biggest truck on the block to have fun.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Think of overlanding as camping when you go off-roading. For the camping aspect you don't need anything you can't find at Walmart, you many want other fancier things and that is fine bur you don't need them to do this successfully as a weekend warrior.
I agree with your keep it simple (cheap) philosophy but will say that there's a balance. I worked for years in a bike shop and have been around this stuff long enough to know that riding a cheap bike or using a cheap tent is a pretty guaranteed way to discourage someone when conditions aren't great. So there's value in buying decent gear.

Doesn't mean spending $1,000 for a Oztent for car camping but at the same time spending $40 and finding it collapses the first heavy thunderstorm isn't any good either. One bad experience may permanently turn off someone. So $100 or $300 or whatever might not be badly spent money if it's something you really intend to do. Also look for used gear, that's the real way to save money.

Point being that if I had a dime for every time someone bought a $150 Walmart bike only to break it or find that there's a reason better built bikes are lighter and more enjoyable to ride I'd be rich now. You're better off taking that $150 and putting towards a piece of gear worth owning and that will last.

Teri Mitti

^^Very solid advice here. I've only been doing this for a couple of years now. My current rig is a bone stock 2004 Colorado z71. No lift, mud tires, and a couple of radios. That's it. It's served me fairly well for the last two years. I've learned that for my needs, and what I want to do, it's just not a great fit, at least not without spending probably 6-7 grand, and my options are pretty limited.

So,instead of spending that money adapting the vehicle, and fixing some design problems with the truck, I've decided my money is best spent buying a dedicated adventure rig.

For my needs, I've chosen a first gen xterra. Good space, strong drive train, reliable engine, and simple to maintain. The only mods I'm planning in the first year are skids and a swing out tire carrier.

I wanna see what the limitations of the vehicle are. When I need to, I'll toss an Arb in the rear, but I'm planning on putting a lokka in the front with manual hubs before I do the Arb. That might be all I need.

But again, I feel it's best to use the vehicle as it is for a while, and see what needs tweaking before dropping loads of cash on mods you may not even need.
This is solid and helps me a lot. @ "my needs" and "see what needs tweaking" makes a lot of sense. Very practical and helps in my reshaping-thoughts-process.
Thank you.

Teri Mitti

Welcome to ExPo! ?

Past mounting appropriate tyres if the truck doesn't already come with them, add an air compressor for airing down/up (airing down tyres make a big difference in comfort, traction, and tyre durability off-road), and a shovel. Traveling with a friend and their tow strap is also warranted if you think you might get stuck. When confronted by a difficult obstacle, never be too proud to turn around or to ask for help.

Before adding or modifying anything further, give this a read:

Thank you for the link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior