250G

Rorywg

I'm looking at buying an ex-military (German) 250GD. I'm trying to work out if this is a good idea, and what I'd need to do to it to make it as good as it can be. Do any of you guys have a view on this model, which is obviously much less powerful than the petrol variants, has drum brakes, etc?

Metric

The 602 n/a is great motor. Not powerful but the output is good enough for a lightweight Wolf. Top speed is about 60mph with stock tire. And at top speed the canvas top can be pretty loud.

These trucks have disc brakes in the front and drums in the rear. Also the front has a locker which is not available in the 230GE that is often mistaken for a Wolf. The rear drum is great for locking up the drivetrain. I wouldn’t switch it.

I mostly just drive my Wolf around my town. My kids love it but if we are going to take a trip then we load up a G500.

Roverchef

Adventurer
I'm looking at buying an ex-military (German) 250GD. I'm trying to work out if this is a good idea, and what I'd need to do to it to make it as good as it can be. Do any of you guys have a view on this model, which is obviously much less powerful than the petrol variants, has drum brakes, etc?
Like Metric stated about the 602 being super reliable but you can easily swap in a turbo'd version of the 602 or just do a 617 swap if you are looking to move down the road with some "Uumph". I have built out the 250GD ambulances for clients which are almost 3 tons so sometimes they need little more pep for the uphills. It's really hard to go wrong with an older G as long as you start with one with "good bones". Pm me if you need help with importation or any other silly ???'s

Rorywg

Thanks both- that's really helpful.

Roverchef- I will probably buy an ex-military one in the UK and keep it there. I think the 'good bones' point is instructive and i will do some more research. Much appreciated!

vingtsun

I have had my 250GD for ~4 years. I searched all the forums and then added an Old Man Emu HD shocks/Viking Offroad HD springs for a 40mm (~1.5inch) lift and switched tires to 235/85 R16. Using my GPS device, on a flat road I can hit 80MPH. Hills are a different story!!! If you are in an absolute hurry, use a different car!! I love my G, it has taken me places with Jeeps that have 35/37 inch tires. As far as cabin noise, when driving partial roll down a window - it stops! Been on long on road journey's and multiple off road trips - drum brakes not an issue. Actually you would not even notice that they are drums and not discs...
Get a 250GD not a 240GD - world of difference! You will love the truck...

Rorywg

I have had my 250GD for ~4 years. I searched all the forums and then added an Old Man Emu HD shocks/Viking Offroad HD springs for a 40mm (~1.5inch) lift and switched tires to 235/85 R16. Using my GPS device, on a flat road I can hit 80MPH. Hills are a different story!!! If you are in an absolute hurry, use a different car!! I love my G, it has taken me places with Jeeps that have 35/37 inch tires. As far as cabin noise, when driving partial roll down a window - it stops! Been on long on road journey's and multiple off road trips - drum brakes not an issue. Actually you would not even notice that they are drums and not discs...
that's awesome- thank you- it's obvious you love it and I really appreciate the detail on the suspension upgrades.

Metric

Ive been considering a similar setup. Did you install the caster correction trailing arm bushings? Or have you felt a need to use them?

vingtsun

Ive been considering a similar setup. Did you install the caster correction trailing arm bushings? Or have you felt a need to use them?
if you keep the lift 40mm or less is considered optimal and nothing else is required. I studied all the forums and they all say keep the lift under 40mm

Arie Intveld

My Gwagen situation is much the same as Metric's; I run my Wolf around town and roll out my G550 for highway travel. If you're unsure about whether or not a Wolf is for you, consider that the 0-60mph time is around 24 seconds! Kinda like what you'd get with a late 70's VW Type 2 bus, if you've ever had the pleasure of that experience.

Stock tire size on a Bundeswehr Wolf is 225/75R16 mounted on 5.5" wide wheels. You do not need to lift a Wolf in order to fit 235/85R16 tires (but you should really have a 6" wide wheel for this size). I had this size of tire on my Wolf for a few months and the 2.4" larger-than-stock diameter does help with top speed. But I didn't care for what that size did to low end torque. I currently run 215/85R16 Hankook Dynapro MT's (1" larger than stock) and, at 60mph, my Wolf's ticking along at about 4100rpm. Fast enough for my purposes ...

Rorywg ... are you buying a UK MOD surplus Wolf? Do you know if they are specc'ed any differently than a Bundeswehr Wolf in terms of gearing and/or tire size?

Rorywg

My Gwagen situation is much the same as Metric's; I run my Wolf around town and roll out my G550 for highway travel. If you're unsure about whether or not a Wolf is for you, consider that the 0-60mph time is around 24 seconds! Kinda like what you'd get with a late 70's VW Type 2 bus, if you've ever had the pleasure of that experience.

Stock tire size on a Bundeswehr Wolf is 225/75R16 mounted on 5.5" wide wheels. You do not need to lift a Wolf in order to fit 235/85R16 tires (but you should really have a 6" wide wheel for this size). I had this size of tire on my Wolf for a few months and the 2.4" larger-than-stock diameter does help with top speed. But I didn't care for what that size did to low end torque. I currently run 215/85R16 Hankook Dynapro MT's (1" larger than stock) and, at 60mph, my Wolf's ticking along at about 4100rpm. Fast enough for my purposes ...

Rorywg ... are you buying a UK MOD surplus Wolf? Do you know if they are specc'ed any differently than a Bundeswehr Wolf in terms of gearing and/or tire size?
Hi Arie

Sorry for the slow reply. Yes- via a UK MOD surplus agent (L Jackson & Co) but I am pretty sure they are actually ex Bundeswehr (paint pattern etc). I am not sure if they are the Wolf variant. Tires are the same 225/75R16. I can't see the gearing spec. I'm also looking in Germany/Netherlands to see if I can get something more interesting...

Thanks for the info on your setup. Is there anything clever to do that might help with the mighty 92bhp OM602?!

Rory

Roverchef

Adventurer
yes, an OM605 or OM606 (with 603 injector pump)!

But only you can decide if the expense out weights the benefits....
Why go thru that hassle when the turbo version of the 602 is stupid simple and a direct replacement and can be tweaked to 200bhp for cheap.

Roverchef

Adventurer
Hi Arie

Sorry for the slow reply. Yes- via a UK MOD surplus agent (L Jackson & Co) but I am pretty sure they are actually ex Bundeswehr (paint pattern etc). I am not sure if they are the Wolf variant. Tires are the same 225/75R16. I can't see the gearing spec. I'm also looking in Germany/Netherlands to see if I can get something more interesting...

Thanks for the info on your setup. Is there anything clever to do that might help with the mighty 92bhp OM602?!

Rory
Turbo, Intercooler, Pop pressure on the Injectors, and Bigger elements in the Pump

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles