Jetta Diesel Sportwagon as Overlander??

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Simply can't beat the deal on these 500,000 recalled VW Diesels that are now offered for sale
Most are around $15,000 or less
Many under 30,000 miles
Great warrantee
Reported 50 MPG

No 4WD
Not sure roof rack can handle RTT

That great milage would allow lots of extended road trips

Any comments? Any realtime evaluations?

LRNAD90

Adventurer
Minimal ground clearance, and fwd only. Guess that depends upon your definition of Overlanding. You can go see a lot of great things in the world in a car. The US in particular has awesome road systems, and most national parks have well maintained dirt or gravel roads that should be completely passable with minimal clearance and fwd. Honestly think you'd be better off in an Outback, or a Crosstrek if you want to get off pavement, but tens of thousands of people have done the car camping thing for decades. Roof top tents are the thing these days, but not a necessity, a good ground tent will allow you much more 'room to breath' and for a lot less money, less wasted fuel, and less stress on the car. Particularly if you r figure you are not going to be camping in extreme areas based out of a low clearance, fwd car.

Seems there are as many definitions of Overlanding these days as there are people interested in it..

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I haven't looked into the newer ones but had a couple of A4 Jettas in Turbodiesel.

They were fun as heck to drive with the torque, and lift kits, metal skid plates, and LSD's were available. Plus probably easier to fix and recognizable for mechanics all over.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I've been tent camping for over 50 years. Motorcycle camped for 25,000 miles a year for couple decades. Cross country 12 times, Alaska, Haul Road etc. Been everywhere on the trails of the southwest, always in a small, backpack tent.....I'm done sleeping on the ground.
I bought a RTT for my RAM pick up. Love it. Don't need to find a level, rock free space. Set up anywhere....including rest stops. Dont worry about snakes and scorpions. Easy up/Easy down!
For years while in High School and College, I "Overlanded" in a 63 Plymouth Valiant / 170 slant 6......Snow tires and a come-along got me into some amazing places. Chains in the winter and I was unstoppable....Nearly...

Wonder if you can lift a Jetta to get a bit more ground clearance?

I'm going to go test drive a VW Sportwagon Diesel tomorrow.

Can't decide on manual or automatic. I'll be driving both.

Love the idea of going on trips and leaving the ram at home.....50mpg vs 16mpg......Really helps being retired and on a fixed income

luthj

Engineer In Residence
They can be lifted with spacer lifts I believe. A inch or two should be possible. A slightly larger tire may be possible. A skid plate for the engine is desirable, as the oil pans are somewhat vulnerable to road debris. Otherwise, if you don't mind a bit of road rash, you can go quite far with even a FWD car. If you do get stuck they are light weight, and a strap, traction boards, air compressor, and a shovel can work wonders.

billiebob

Simply can't beat the deal on these 500,000 recalled VW Diesels that are now offered for sale
Most are around $15,000 or less
Many under 30,000 miles
Great warrantee
Reported 50 MPG

No 4WD
Not sure roof rack can handle RTT

That great milage would allow lots of extended road trips

Any comments? Any realtime evaluations?
Yes a friend just bought a brand new 3 year old A6 with full warranties starting today for $19K.

D

Deleted member 9101

I had a 2005.5 Jetta TDI and used it to haul camping gear and kayaks for about 4 years. It worked great, never had a single problem

jkam

nomadic man
I've always thought this was an excellent overlander. Seems well built and lifted.
Probably outlive most of us here, even with the harsh treatment it receives.
Mercedes W123. Available skid plates to help in rough conditions, like Africa.
4266756995_866974b2c5_b.jpg

5766110923_5a2d8d298f_b.jpg

adphil

i have a bilstein lifted suspension for sale for a sportwagon mk6 . i did an audi a4 and a jetta wagon mk4 before , i just bought a sportwagon for the wife but she doesnt want it lifted ....56177045_804589446567122_2095141070542209024_n.jpg61801163_399519820894795_636581833361850368_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles