First Panam Journey in an Electric RV? Check out "Route Del Sol"

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Simpson Desert has already been crossed with a solar (and battery) powered 4x4 (roughly in chronological order of publication):

So, from that it can be taken that:
-Need a lot of flat surfaces
-Decent batteries
-Light base weight to start with
-Sunshine
are all needed...

shade

Love the dual Fluke instrument cluster.

I like the idea of converting a lightweight production vehicle to full EV, and bringing enough PV charging along to keep it powered on a multi-day trip.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Well here are a couple promised half and half versions of production model 4x4 EV/gas powered rigs:
Jeep Wrangler, Compass, And Renegade Plug-In Hybrids Coming To CES

”Jeep Wrangler, Compass, And Renegade Plug-In Hybrids Coming To CES

Jeep calls the feature 4xe.
Greg Fink

” Jeep is bringing a trio of plug-in gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles to the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Nevada. Cheekily dubbed 4xe (we're pretty sure that’s four-by-E and not four-X-E), the tech will find its way to the Jeep Renegade, Compass, and Wrangler. The former two vehicles are likely the same ones that Jeep displayed at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show (albeit dressed up for duty in the North American market).
Like their European counterparts, we anticipate the Renegade and Compass 4xe models to pair a turbocharged 1.3-liter four-cylinder engine with a rear-mounted electric motor – the former of which powers the front axle; the latter, the rear. The combo should be good for more than 200 horsepower. Both will surely offer more than a few miles of all-electric driving range. Mini squeezes 18 miles of EPA-rated EV range out of its Countryman Cooper SE plug-in hybrid, and we expect the Jeeps to at least match that sum.

We know less about the Wrangler 4xe. However, given the standard Wrangler's rear-drive-based powertrain setup, we’d wager the SUV’s plug-in hybrid variant will continue to send mechanical power to all four of its wheels by way of an internal combustion engine. An electric motor will likely supplement that power, as well. Possibly located between the engine and transmission, the Wrangler 4xe’s electric motor will surely offer enough low-end grunt to benefit the model’s off-road prowess while also allowing bouts of all-electric driving.”

———————————————————————————————————————————————————-

While These “I’m just guessing at what’s maybe coming” articles aren’t too often that helpful really, I figured this info was somewhat relevant to what’s being hotly discussed here. In any event, it looks like a Jeep still has quite a long way to go to make these concept vehicles truly useful or desirable though....

Last edited:

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
You can strawman my position as much as you like (and you seem to like that quite a bit), but it is about range and speed with that range. I didn't say it was about bicycle touring at all. But it's quite telling that it can't outdo a middle-aged amputee on a loaded bicycle. That speaks volume to how "smart" a choice it would be if you wanted to actually use it for "overlanding".

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
You can strawman my position as much as you like (and you seem to like that quite a bit), but it is about range and speed with that range. I didn't say it was about bicycle touring at all. But it's quite telling that it can't outdo a middle-aged amputee on a loaded bicycle. That speaks volume to how "smart" a choice it would be if you wanted to actually use it for "overlanding".

There is no need to put smart in quotes. They are using it and it works for them. Therefore it is a smart choice.
There is no need to put overlanding in quotes. They are driving from AK to Argentina. If that doesn't define overlanding, nothing does.

So they are indeed making a smart choice and they are indeed overlanding.

Yes, a bicycle would work too, and there a plenty of great places to discuss that.
Those places are elsewhere. You should go there if you want to talk about travel with a bicycle.

-Dan

shade

There is no need to put smart in quotes. They are using it and it works for them. Therefore it is a smart choice.
There is no need to put overlanding in quotes. They are driving from AK to Argentina. If that doesn't define overlanding, nothing does.

So they are indeed making a smart choice and they are indeed overlanding.

Yes, a bicycle would work too, and there a plenty of great places to discuss that.
Those places are elsewhere. You should go there if you want to talk about travel with a bicycle.

-Dan
Dan, as many can attest, it's usually best to leave him be.

He knows what he knows, and he knows it.
He's right, we're wrong. It's as simple as that.

It's not worth the trouble to try to figure out how he comes to his conclusions. The psychology of xkcd is ready to help!

1578655529725.png

docwatson

Adventurer
Just so I am clear, who is allowed to make posts with comments outside of the thread title and who isn't? Or is it just that you all @shade and @Dan Grec don't appreciate @Pilat comments?

Seems his comparison of his bike touring pace to Route Del Sol is certainly more inline and appropriate than what Jeep is bring to CES...

shade

Just so I am clear, who is allowed to make posts with comments outside of the thread title and who isn't? Or is it just that you all @shade and @Dan Grec don't appreciate @Pilat comments?

Seems his comparison of his bike touring pace to Route Del Sol is certainly more inline and appropriate than what Jeep is bring to CES...
Generally speaking, I have no problem with off topic discussions. They can lead to interesting conversations. It's unfortunate that ExPo only allows a flat view of posts, instead of a threaded view, which I find to does a better job keeping comments organized.

With few exceptions in this thread, I believe my posts have been on topic. My response to Dan was an attempt to circumvent another round of fruitless debate with Pilat. The only reason I mentioned Pilat's cycling post was because Pilat referenced the first page of this thread, which is where his linked post originated. If you're really bored, you can read the whole thread for more context.

As far as I'm concerned, Pilat can post most anything he wants, wherever he wants, just like anyone else.

docwatson

Adventurer
Generally speaking, I have no problem with off topic discussions. They can lead to interesting conversations. It's unfortunate that ExPo only allows a flat view of posts, instead of a threaded view, which I find to does a better job keeping comments organized.

With few exceptions in this thread, I believe my posts have been on topic. My response to Dan was an attempt to circumvent another round of fruitless debate with Pilat. The only reason I mentioned Pilat's cycling post was because Pilat referenced the first page of this thread, which is where his linked post originated. If you're really bored, you can read the whole thread for more context.

As far as I'm concerned, Pilat can post most anything he wants, wherever he wants, just like anyone else.
I was mistaken, it was @F350joe that was posting the other don't talk about bikes here post. I think @Pilat just mentioned you most recently.

There is some protectionist trend in this thread, or maybe it's just an anti-Pilat thing. It's cool what Route del Sol is doing but a comment on it's travel efficiency compared to a bicycle is hardly off topic. Speaking of, so this trip started in late 2018 and they are currently in Baja, Mexico. What's the miles per day actually break down to? I recognize they are doing speaking engagements and such so I am sure that slows things down but that's about 10 miles per day. That's not calculating an side trips etc just looking at route progress. This will be a very long trip at that rate.

shade

I was mistaken, it was @F350joe that was posting the other don't talk about bikes here post. I think @Pilat just mentioned you most recently.

There is some protectionist trend in this thread, or maybe it's just an anti-Pilat thing. It's cool what Route del Sol is doing but a comment on it's travel efficiency compared to a bicycle is hardly off topic. Speaking of, so this trip started in late 2018 and they are currently in Baja, Mexico. What's the miles per day actually break down to? I recognize they are doing speaking engagements and such so I am sure that slows things down but that's about 10 miles per day. That's not calculating an side trips etc just looking at route progress. This will be a very long trip at that rate.
Comparing their progress to other modes of travel doesn't bother me.

I like the idea, but I think they asked too much of current tech by trying to push that big campervan too far on photon power. Most of my posts were about converting a better candidate vehicle to the task.

jkam

nomadic man
I was riding Ruta 40 on my motorcycle, that day it was south of Bajo Caracoles when I spied something out there in front of me slogging along at a snails pace. As many of you know, Ruta 40 in that part of the country can be a windy place, often in excess of 40 mph. And, it's a cross wind to the road so that makes it even trickier to ride.
I stopped and talked with the Belgian guy riding the bicycle and pulling a small trailer loaded with gear.
Like me, he had started out in Alaska and was headed to Ushuaia. Unlike me, he had started out 3 years prior, I'd been on the road about a year or so and had taken my time.
He said some days he only made it a few miles in the brutal conditions. He had to have food and water for at least a few weeks because places to resupply were far apart.
Put my ordeal into perspective, one I try and remind myself of from time to time.

F350joe

Pilat hijacks threads with illogical assertions that have nothing to do with anything. A bike is powered by pedaling and is for one person with a tent. This thread is about an EV camper. Trying to compare the two is really silly, there could not be two more different modes of transportation. Why not compare it to riding a camel? Or a sailboat? Or walkIng the route? Riding a bike on this route is a totally different thing and is not at all relevant.

shade

Pilat hijacks threads with illogical assertions that have nothing to do with anything. A bike is powered by pedaling and is for one person with a tent. This thread is about an EV camper. Trying to compare the two is really silly, there could not be two more different modes of transportation. Why not compare it to riding a camel? Or a sailboat? Or walkIng the route? Riding a bike on this route is a totally different thing and is not at all relevant.
What about pushing an EV campervan on foot? That seems applicable. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94