New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Is anyone really cross shopping the wrangler and new Defender? I drove a new Rubicon yesterday and it’s not even close to as refined as my 06 LR3.

The wrangler is a cool weird 4x4, but I don’t get why people think it’s being cross shopped with the Defender. I certainly am not. Just hope it’s as good in real life as it looks on paper.
They could be?

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Defenders, Jeeps, LCs, etc have historically been very similar, so of course some people will cross-shop them. Unfortunately they'll soon realize the similarity doesn't apply anymore.

nickw

Adventurer
Nothing wrong with that! Each to their own. Like I said, the wrangler is a cool truck, I just don't see myself in one.
My hang up on the Wrangler is exactly what the poster above mentioned. I personally feel like Defender evolved into what is todays world while the Jeep is relying on it's heritage and a modified design from 60+ years ago....for the sake of being trendy. Of course all manuf. do this to a certain extent, design ques held-over, but the Jeep takes it to the extreme, open fenders, SFA, etc. for what?

I don't see the Jeep as a honest design but more as designing to trendy historical benchmark.....but I'm know I'm unique there. I don't think I could ever drive one either personally.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
My hang up on the Wrangler is exactly what the poster above mentioned. I personally feel like Defender evolved into what is todays world while the Jeep is relying on it's heritage and a modified design from 60+ years ago....for the sake of being trendy. Of course all manuf. do this to a certain extent, design ques held-over, but the Jeep takes it to the extreme, open fenders, SFA, etc. for what?........

Why? Well ............. the objective is to sell product ..........and be profitable

comparison.JPG

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Yeah I get it from a business perspective....I was coming at it from an engineering / design perspective...

Shouldn't volume and profit be a engineering / design goal? That's coming from an engineer who has seen those goals not achieved for a variety of product management 'reasons'.

nickw

Adventurer
Shouldn't volume and profit be a engineering / design goal? That's coming from an engineer who has seen those goals not achieved for a variety of product management 'reasons'.
Of course....the Jeep is engineered to a profit / marketing goal, that's why it looks the way it does, which is why I couldn't own one. It doesn't look the way it does because engineers sat in a room and decided that was the best way to design a 4x4....it was (50+ years ago) but not today, thats what I was (poorly) trying to articulate...

JeepColorado

My hang up on the Wrangler is exactly what the poster above mentioned. I personally feel like Defender evolved into what is todays world while the Jeep is relying on it's heritage and a modified design from 60+ years ago....for the sake of being trendy. Of course all manuf. do this to a certain extent, design ques held-over, but the Jeep takes it to the extreme, open fenders, SFA, etc. for what?

I don't see the Jeep as a honest design but more as designing to trendy historical benchmark.....but I'm know I'm unique there. I don't think I could ever drive one either personally.

I'm not sure that 70 years of staying true to your design origins could in any way be characterized as "trendy"... seems like just the opposite. I would say that the Jeep is the most honest design. The Defender and the Jeep would both fall on most anyones list of most iconic 4x4s of all time- the Jeep's the only one that's really stayed true to it's heritage and is immediately recognizable as descending from the original.

JeepColorado

It's interesting to me that fans of Land Rover would like this sticker. Superficially, I get it, it looks much better- most anything with a lift kit looks better, lift kits are like putting cheese on something- it's the rare thing it won't make better. However, if you get past fantasy land and look at the reality it doesn't take long to realize that that sticker is the closest almost anyone is ever going to get to a modern Defender that looks like that because of the way LR designs it. I'd guess those tires are roughly 37s or 38s given the proportions. Good luck achieving that height with air bags all around. Even if you could you'd have to find a way to stuff those under the Defender using it's less-than-roomy wheel openings. It's just interesting to see people drool over something that so clearly runs counter to the nature of the company and product they produce- it'd be like really wishing an energy drink company would just make something that is soothing and calming to help you sleep at night. Sorta runs contrary to the actual product they produce doesn't it?

nickw

Adventurer
I'm not sure that 70 years of staying true to your design origins could in any way be characterized as "trendy"... seems like just the opposite. I would say that the Jeep is the most honest design. The Defender and the Jeep would both fall on most anyones list of most iconic 4x4s of all time- the Jeep's the only one that's really stayed true to it's heritage and is immediately recognizable as descending from the original.
Because heritage sells, simple as that. LR adapted and evolved to the modern world.

JeepColorado

Because heritage sells, simple as that. LR adapted and evolved to the modern world.

It's a mischaracterization of the Jeep to say that it's simply a heritage vehicle- solid-axles, Coil Springs and ladder frames are grounded in the past sure, because they work, but on top of that is a modern vehicle with every convenience and safety feature most people would ever really need. All the while wrapped in one of the most iconic designs in the history of the automobile.

The LR looks rather bland to me- especially from the front. Given their history you'll have to forgive me if I'm a bit cautious about the multitude of computers and ECUs in the Defender- can't imagine what could go wrong with LR electronics, and all of that is underpinned by an architecture that while I'm sure makes the LR ride better than the Wrangler, but it also limits the capability off-road and ability to modify it through the aftermarket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior