GXV Patagonia on the Kenworth K370 chassis

gregmchugh

Observer
Hey Greg, thanks for your detailed response. On my Sprinter expedition camper I have a Dometic 9500 case awing, fully electric and legless with included wind sensor. I have had a sudden gust of wind come up while camping out at Black Rock and the wind sensor closed the awning before I could respond. While it was flopping some it did fully retract and save itself. Not had any issues with it. Plus comes in black unlike Fiamma's similar F45s.

Just something for you to consider if you haven't already replaced it.

In the end, when GXV looked at the awning it turned out that it was not damaged but it had been ripped from the mounting on the side of the truck. It was reattached and no problems since then.

Zuri

I am in the very early stages of thinking about one of these. This thread has been a wealth of information. Thank you.

gregmchugh

Observer
I am in the very early stages of thinking about one of these. This thread has been a wealth of information. Thank you.

You are welcome, it can be hard to get first hand info from owners on these types of vehicles since the owners forums are generally restricted to current owners, at least that is the case for GXV, EarthRoamer, and EarthCruiser.

Zuri

You are welcome, it can be hard to get first hand info from owners on these types of vehicles since the owners forums are generally restricted to current owners, at least that is the case for GXV, EarthRoamer, and EarthCruiser.

That is what I have found which is what makes the information so useful. Between this site and YouTube, i know a little bit more about what I want if I do go ahead with a build. Information from owners rather than manufacturers is priceless.

gregmchugh

Observer
No problem, I will handle this...

We had an RV Superbag (look it up on the web, sort of a fancy double rectangular sleeping bag) that we had used in our Sprinter camper van and it worked fine but we switched to regular bedding and it works well but it can be a struggle to get the fitted sheet changed up on the platform for older folks like us... :)

We are currently camped in BC at 7 deg F at night and no problem keeping warm with regular bedding and a couple of fleece blankets on top. We tend to keep it cool at night anyway so we prefer to have some blankets on top. We could keep it warmer at night and have a light blanket but we like it cool...

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Thanks, I know a bit of a weird question.

I was wondering how that part was working for full timing.

I appreciate the answer.

I full time in a fiver now, and before this one was a smaller one where you were unable to stand in the bed area. Always made the bedding, a pain.

Sent from somewhere remote on my BlackBerry

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
We bought an RV Superbag when we had a cab over bed in our Tiger. Basically an overgrown sleeping bag, the advantage is the standard sheets that are held in with Velcro and can be easily washed in a common washing machine. That and the fact that the cat and I can make the bed in seconds, even with reduced headroom and access to only one side.

No longer have a cab over bed, still use the Superbag.

YMMV :)

gregmchugh

Observer
"clearly you're not a golfer"....lol

On a Big Lebowski side note, we went on a music tour in Alaska last summer and Jimmie Dale Gilmore was one of the performers. I asked him about playing Smokey, the bowler who Walter accuses of stepping over the foul line. Jimmie said he is more well known for his 3 minute performance in The Big Lebowski than for his 40 year music career.

Zuri

Quick question for you Patagonia owners on a K370 chassis. I am thinking about a 20' box and how to optimise the space for a travelling couple with no need for extra interior sleeping space. Did any of you consider a layout more like a Safari Extreme with a dry bath across the front with a passthrough between the shower and toilet and side dining?

gregmchugh

Observer
We did not consider it but it is a reasonable option. One advantage of a dinette is the availability of the large wall opening which gives a great view from the dinette. Here is an example...

Attachments

• 2DE89571-3D2A-411A-BBEE-4C0E4B1DE5DB.jpeg
    2DE89571-3D2A-411A-BBEE-4C0E4B1DE5DB.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 66

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles