YOLANDA...My Turbine Princess build 03 7.3 E350 pop top 4x4

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
After what turned into a 14 hour Saturday build we finally got the axle up inside. turns out I'm an idiot and left the drive shaft at home so that cost us two hours to drive out and drive back to get it. Found out that the perches on the Sterling or actually about half an inch taller than the Dana 60 rear end so the u-bolts did not fit with my added springs. So we had to go get for new u-bolts, fortunately O'Reilly's in Grove City happen to have exactly what we needed on the shelf!!

All new brake hard lines and rubber lines across the back. I'm dealing with a caliper that is sticking somewhere because we only bleed the back brakes I got a slight brake smell.

it is a profound improvement and acceleration and braking with the 410 gears E-Locker and larger rotors that this axles supposed to have over the 60. towing on Stock tune last night even with the larger 33 inch tires on the back versus the thirty ones that we're on it (31.5 but they are worn out) it was way quicker and had much more power than when I run on the hundred horsepower tune with the old axle. So running on the hundred horsepower to now makes it incredible!!!!!

speedometer is about 5 miles an hour faster than I'm actually going so I will need to get that recalibrated. however now I think I'm going to go up to a 34 inch tire on the van when I do the front swap.

I'm going to have to lift the front at least 2 in more than it is now when I put the Dana 60 underneath it so that it will be a little more leveled out. But I got to say I'm super happy with how it's working how easy it went in minus a couple bonehead mistakes that I made and a slight oversight on the U bolts!!

I want to make sure to thank my buddy Chris Sullivan help me get it all done well getting to meet a bunch of his new coworkers because he's going to be starting as a apprentice plumber with the company I work for!!

I could have done it without your buddy!!

oh and we found out that with the leaf spring pack on the back I have 5 in of down travel from static height. Not sure how much up travel we have yet we'll find that out soon enough!! ;D
e44cbb89ebb46c66c3569b31d124218c.jpg
5c7dfba5f5f84a3610b3cae2fac59ca5.jpg
f83cfbb04945aec3535bf8399cbe2298.jpg
27dc297ea74f27e54514474090d828c5.jpg
9a8e0c4092616b31d14397c07a85c5a7.jpg
ba874111d6af630183151bb65f90b17a.jpg
f2e6a7959eef60e7c22f9e80840f8336.jpg
51e7ab7ec7737fd7e399aab5d155f813.jpg
fd576e21ffdebc59d0fbeff5e3c91950.jpg
fcac0bb607d357d02c03e03670be1326.jpg

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Sayyyy. If you get a minute and willing, could you measure the roof of your van and tell me the length and width?

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Stock top. What I’m looking to do is turn my Pinz into a hardtop and I’m hoping I can cut the roof section out of an E-series (or 2) to use as the roof section for my build.
I sent you a private message have you called me. My pop top is just 18 gauge steel. I did not reuse my roof no, actually I think it's laying in my yard underneath my wood pile

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Binky

Wanderr,
Looking good but giving me waaayyy too much to think about!
I already need to pull a few leafs from my rear spring, and want a TruTrack diff, and disc brakes.
But if I just happened to find a newer axle w/discs and a locker in the junk yard...

Your travels hit so much of my old stomping grounds, fun to watch!

John

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Maybe one of these??

I had looked into something like that but most of the time they’re not wide enough and not local, so shipping gets to be an issue. I’m trying to avoid too much joining of panels. I think I need approx 4000mm of panel in length and about 1800mm in width. If I HAVE join it I think I’d rather join it across rather than down the length.

i figured I might be able to cut the tops off a couple E series to get where I need to be. Should be wide enough and length of an extended van might be close.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I had looked into something like that but most of the time they’re not wide enough and not local, so shipping gets to be an issue. I’m trying to avoid too much joining of panels. I think I need approx 4000mm of panel in length and about 1800mm in width. If I HAVE join it I think I’d rather join it across rather than down the length.

i figured I might be able to cut the tops off a couple E series to get where I need to be. Should be wide enough and length of an extended van might be close.
My top is 5 x 10 that goes up I would say yeah 13 and a half bye 4 foot 10 if the narrowest in five foot four at the widest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles