Soft Shackle With Snatch Strap?

Vegas_Sirk

Hi Guys,

This may be a dumb question but can you use a soft shackle with a snatch strap? I know they are fine for winching or using with a tow strap, but I was wondering since they secure the loop with the knot wouldn't they run the risk of coming undone with a running start on a snatch strap recovery?

Vegas_Sirk

Yes,the soft shackle takes the place of a D shackle,check out youtube.

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. I know it replaces the D-Ring I was just looking for verification that it's safe to use on a snatch type recovery (running start from the vehicle pulling the other vehicle out). I don't have a winch on my Raptor so recovery will be done with a combo of recovery boards and a snatch strap. With the soft shackle, I was worried that when the strap went from slack to no slack it might pop the knot off the hold the soft shackle togeather.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Hi. Thanks for the feedback. I know it replaces the D-Ring I was just looking for verification that it's safe to use on a snatch type recovery (running start from the vehicle pulling the other vehicle out). I don't have a winch on my Raptor so recovery will be done with a combo of recovery boards and a snatch strap. With the soft shackle, I was worried that when the strap went from slack to no slack it might pop the knot off the hold the soft shackle togeather.

If you are worried about the knot shifting, you can add an rubber or silicone o-ring behind the loop to keep things more secure. You just need to find the right size that provides a bit of tension, but it still easy enough to open the loop.

Vegas_Sirk

If you are worried about the knot shifting, you can add an rubber or silicone o-ring behind the loop to keep things more secure. You just need to find the right size that provides a bit of tension, but it still easy enough to open the loop.

Ok cool. I was looking at all the ARB stuff I have their snatch strap, and recovery gear bag so was just thinking of going with their soft shackles as well.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have a variety of soft shackles including the ARB.
You can pretension the soft shackle and it will handle the snatch "shock" just fine, I did it last weekend :)

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Got two of them at the truck fest in San Mateo

Then I found some cheaper versions on amazon?!

Might get a few more of those and see if there’s any anecdotal real world use difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WOODY2

Adventurer
Got two of them at the truck fest in San Mateo

Then I found some cheaper versions on amazon?!

Might get a few more of those and see if there’s any anecdotal real world use difference

I'd think about the cheaper vs, quality, hopefully finding a balance that fits your requirements and wallet.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I'd think about the cheaper vs, quality, hopefully finding a balance that fits your requirements and wallet.

I’m not disagreeing with you but there’s really not a lot of people that make plasma rope for a living. There’s a trade off somewhere?! But is it actual or a small percentage chance. Shrug, half the price, gets me to the why not place quick.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I’m not disagreeing with you but there’s really not a lot of people that make plasma rope for a living. There’s a trade off somewhere?! But is it actual or a small percentage chance. Shrug, half the price, gets me to the why not place quick.

I would concur with all things being relatively equal go for the price point. I probably should have gotten more details on this situation before offering my outlook on the issue. That being said IMHO the final selection of a product, especially safety related ones, shouldn't be driven purely by price point.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
They shouldn’t, but, very few drive with a five point harness. Fewer still wear full face shields, hardly anyone buys Volvo’s...

Price vs safety is a losing proposition. Even our structure fire turnouts are purchased by low bid.

Almost nothing is “the best”, the vast majority is good enough to do the job while costing the lest amount.

I’m not saying it’s right. I’m just saying it’s rare to have the means to truly provide the absolute best Gucci gear for the situation at hand. Some can and many do. But I’ll take one for the ten and check back after I’ve beat on them for a while :)

WOODY2

Adventurer
The fact that the turnouts are by low bidder is mitigated by a certain standards that must be met or exceeded. That being said a great friend is a Navy aviator and I once asked him what he thought about as he waited for a catapult shot and his reply was that the ejection seat was built by the lowest bidder. There is a lot of junk out there being hyped/sold and the trick at least for me is to wade thru the BS to get a piece of equipment to do the job.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
As promised, a beating they have had. I live near Hollister SRVA and as such if not using them myself I loaned them to anyone who needed them.

Report:

Sharp edges are not always sharp, at a hard hard pull one was cut on a pinch weld in the under body. But the snap back was negligible, just no mass to the rope or shackle.

The second survivor still here and kicking. I wash it in a bucket now and again with straight water or maybe a few drops of dawn. Doesn’t look new but I can’t feel any flat spots or areas of chafe.

I have bow shackles on my truck for recovery to make a 2PSAA out of an old 3” flat webbing I have looped with a water knot (it’s never coming out now lol). The rope is a jerk it brand 30’.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne