Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Nearly done with the interior build! Our fridge will go against the driverside bulkhead, and I need to whip up a shelf for the driverside rear area. My wife and I don't use the small portion of the mattress when sleeping, so I sized the bench to fit it - now we can lounge on it or use it as a couch if we want to be in the camper.

Just about 2 weeks out from a month long trip, feeling a bit better with the build effectively being complete!

IMG_6427.jpegIMG_6428.jpegIMG_6429.jpeg

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
I like it! I'm studying everyone's interior builds since we need a 2+1 sleeping solution. Anything that looks like it'll support bringing the kiddo is a plus.
Thanks! Not sure how tall your kid is, but my wife is 5'1" and can almost lay out on the bench (probably need to be around 4'6" or shorter to do so 100%).

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
She's young and small at the moment, but the pesky kid refuses to stop growing.

If I'm realistic, I need to plan for a 6'+ bed length (and matching internal bench length), since there's an almost even chance I'll end up on the bottom bunk at some point. (Mostly because I'm the early riser, etc.)

lumis

Also a bit random, but if a 6" mattress is on your list I personally recommend the Exped which is 25% off right now through REI (y) https://www.rei.com/product/171116/exped-megamat-max-15-duo-sleeping-pad The dimensions fit the camper's bed section perfectly!

I finally broke down and bought an exped megamat10 which is only 4 inches thick, but it is night and day those things are comfortable. One of the best things is everything fits including my overstuffed pillows which go on the small platform when closed since that small mat is no longer in there. well worth the price tag.

Hi Brittany: Welcome! We have one of those memory foam egg carton mattress covers under the Dream Island and pad and it closes just fine. The bed does not fill the entire upper compartment, so there is room for pillows up there. We are super happy with the Canopy Camper.

Thanks very much! We finally got to see the Canopy Camper in person last week. It was on a Tacoma and the bed space seemed much smaller than I pictured. Fortunately, the Gladiator is wider and I know that one foot or so will make a difference.

She's young and small at the moment, but the pesky kid refuses to stop growing.

If I'm realistic, I need to plan for a 6'+ bed length (and matching internal bench length), since there's an almost even chance I'll end up on the bottom bunk at some point. (Mostly because I'm the early riser, etc.)

Would love to put our heads together on this. Our son will be four-and-a-half when we move into this build. Our global journey will be 10-15 years, so we need a long-term plan. Eventually, Caspian can sleep in a hammock or ground tent outside. But I'm guessing we won't be comfortable with that for a few years. Until then, he needs to be able to sleep comfortably in the truck bed. And I need to be able to easily access the fridge!

LionZoo

Observer
Would love to put our heads together on this. Our son will be four-and-a-half when we move into this build. Our global journey will be 10-15 years, so we need a long-term plan. Eventually, Caspian can sleep in a hammock or ground tent outside. But I'm guessing we won't be comfortable with that for a few years. Until then, he needs to be able to sleep comfortably in the truck bed. And I need to be able to easily access the fridge!

Perhaps a sideways sleeping arrangement downstairs might work? Regardless of how you configure it though, there's not a lot of height downstairs to make sleeping comfortable if you're not on the bed floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke