2014 Sierra 1500 OVRLND camper

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Very Cool!

I thought the border was closed and super bummed my Sept trip looks like it wasnt happening.

Its open now????

Note: Grinded through Yukon and BC in 4 days? WHY???? I've explored AK, Yukon, and BC a bunch and found Yukon and BC mind blowing compared to a lot of Alaska personally

Wrathchild

Very Cool!

I thought the border was closed and super bummed my Sept trip looks like it wasnt happening.

Its open now????

Note: Grinded through Yukon and BC in 4 days? WHY???? I've explored AK, Yukon, and BC a bunch and found Yukon and BC mind blowing compared to a lot of Alaska personally

The border is still closed. I was allowed through as an essential traveler. Instructed to not stop anywhere. Pay at the pump fuel only. Drive thru food only. All parks closed to people besides BCers. They made it very clear they do not want outsiders traveling through. Have to drive through Yukon in 24 hrs with same restrictions as BC and no deviation from the Alcan.

Theres some animosity towards American plates right now (fortunately we’re AK and it’s prob tolerated more). Lots of jerk Americans are creating BS excuses to get across the border and having a vacation. Makes it a lot harder for those of us who have to be traveling right now.

Now is not the time to explore the north unfortunately...

OVRLND Campers

First OVRLND in AK? Crossed the border at 6 am. This is our third time doing the drive and although the scenery was amazing as always it was not a terribly fun trip given travel restrictions and what not. We grinded through BC and Yukon in 4 days. Very glad that we’re 100% self contained. And that Wrappon toilet is about the best damn thing ever created!View attachment 594487
Sweeeeeeet!

Wrathchild

No real Updates on the camper build. Probably make a few tweaks this winter. But have def been enjoying the camper and being back in AK! Everywhere I go people ask about it. Having a truck and camper is great here on the island. But having a raft really opens up exploration!C518A147-8ABB-48E7-9075-239B362FDD0A.jpegE6E8F647-EC2E-408B-9D3D-72B15B00AC1B.jpeg

Last edited:

Wrathchild

7F1938A0-B74C-4603-9895-5DB141E59035.jpeg
Got the SxS out today. We have a trail here that’s about 18 miles long and runs out to a phenomenal salmon stream.

Wrathchild

First build update in a long while. Decided I wanted to have the toilet slide out from under the cabinet. Used 4 500 lb slides flat mounted. Deck is 3/4” birch like everything else. Next step is to cut down the wrappon toilet legs 2”.8331592D-B1CF-4785-BE66-971FC5A057CF.jpeg6771A961-67B6-4E5F-823C-93C83A2023C0.jpeg9B8E21FA-5BE8-43D9-BD70-68327FF26821.jpeg

Pshin

Awesome setup and build! I have an OVRLND on a Chevy Colorado that I have been building out slowly too.

I'm curious about your crossbar and wind fairing setup. What brand bars and towers did you use? Have you noticed any difference with wind noise and bug splatter?

Wrathchild

@Pshin thank you! Definitely been a lot of work. The bars are standard Yakima round bars and towers that I’ve had for ages. It’s hard to say About the noise. I think the camper wind noise decreased, but I get some whistle from the bars. Only audible with the windows down (these GMCs have very quiet cabins). It has decreased the bug smashing though.

Pshin

@Pshin thank you! Definitely been a lot of work. The bars are standard Yakima round bars and towers that I’ve had for ages. It’s hard to say About the noise. I think the camper wind noise decreased, but I get some whistle from the bars. Only audible with the windows down (these GMCs have very quiet cabins). It has decreased the bug smashing though.
I second the wind noise even on my Colorado. Noticeable difference when I test drove all the current midsize trucks (that was in 2019 before the newest Ranger).

I'll take any decrease in bug smashing. Do you think you would be able to move the front bar forward any more than you have it and have them still be relatively level?

Wrathchild

@Pshin i have it pushed as far forward as it’ll go. Maybe could flip the fairing over the onstar antenna, but then I think the rack would be angled forward a bit.

jeep364

How have you liked the wrappon? Have you had any issues finding compatible bags - I assume amazon is the way to go? Thoughts on cost of bags?

Wrathchild

@jeep364 We really like the toilet. Nice to not have to mess with holding tanks or anything like that. It’s definitely expensive from the unit cost, to the bag cost. I buy the bags and coagulant from OK4wd. I do wish/hope they come out with biodegradable bags at some point. If we were full timing or doing more than just long weekends I don’t think the cost to operate would be worth it.

plumber mike

Adventurer
Nice job. Any complaints with the rear spring, shock or airbags as the weight adds up? I recently purchased a 2018 Sierra and am finding that it rode really well when it was empty;-)

Wrathchild

Nice job. Any complaints with the rear spring, shock or airbags as the weight adds up? I recently purchased a 2018 Sierra and am finding that it rode really well when it was empty;-)

hah yeah the factory suspension is pretty soft. The BDS lift springs and fox 2.0 were very stiff comparatively before I added all the weight. It’s now kinda soft if the bags are empty. I run about 20psi to keep it level. Have an add a leaf to install which should tighten things up and keep me from always having air in the bags. A rear sway bar may be in the works depending on how the add a leaf works out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles