Fuso Canter Transfer Case vacuum actuation

Hi, just started working on my transfer case vacuum actuation problem, ie, no response after pressing the 4WD switch.

I noticed that there is a plastic bottle attached to a T-joint with rubber hoses, the two sides of the T-joint connect to two solenoids valves ( I believe ?? ) hidden behind a cover plate. The other side of these solenoid valves then connects to the vacuum actuator at two different points, next to the transfer case.

I don't know if my guesses are correct, hope someone would correct and point out what this setup is about.

Significantly, what do you think the plastic bottle is for, it does not look factory-made to me. Here are some photos that I took. The solenoid valves are hidden behind the cover on the lower-left corner of the first picture.

Any advice from people with experience on this would be very very helpful.
20210113_153017_HDR.jpg 20210113_160754-001.jpg 20210113_153041-001.jpg

I have a workshop manual for the chassis, in the Transfer section, it does not have anything in details regarding the vacuum actuator system, other than mentioning its existence. Unless there is another manual which I should go for.

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
My assessment would be that quite a bit of this plumbing has been added by a previous owner, as it does not look like OEM equipment to me.
I have never seen push lock pneumatic fittings used as standard Fuso equipment, but maybe things have changed in the FGB71 model. It just does not look right to me.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I take it, it is an early Canter (1996 thereabouts). Some of my manuals go back that far but none cover the vacuum system. Back to the drawing board - follow wires, follow vacuum lines. Take a live wire and activate solenoids ( they may be earth return so you would then need an Earth wire instead of live.) make sure you lube all the linkages on the vacuum servos on transfer case.

Good Luck - Happy hunting,

Dan.

BigSkyBrad

I have an FGB71 too, and last year the 4x4 selection wasn't working. I found that a couple of the rubber vacuum lines were perished and leaking, so I replaced all the hoses on the soleinoid 'box' and to the actuator with silicon hose lines. I also pulled the actuator semi-down and re-rusted what I could. All that got it going again.

After reading this thread today, I've just been out to check if it was working. Not working! Arghh! I'm fed up with it, and sick of crawling around under the truck for the same thing. Is there an alternative electric solenoid/actuator kit out there? I've even thought of just making it a manual lever - I have to get out of the cab anyway to turn the hub locks. The actuator and solenoid box are in places that are subject to road spray, and road salt in locations like mine so nothing looks the healthiest.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Run a piece of hose directly from the actuator on the transmission into the cab. Suck on it when you need 4wd. I've done this on a Mercedes diesel shut off actuator when the vacuum system failed. :)

Thanks to all of your inputs. I guess, if all else failed, manual operation is the way, I'll give that a try too instead of fixing something that could be precarious later anyway.

cheers

Run a piece of hose directly from the actuator on the transmission into the cab. Suck on it when you need 4wd. I've done this on a Mercedes diesel shut off actuator when the vacuum system failed. :)

Does it need to be sucked very hard? It may not be such a bad solution.

Madoxen

Does this solution need you to keep it under vacume/ sucked to keep it in 4x4 ? If so i guess you could suck on the gose and then crimp it till you were done.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Does it need to be sucked very hard? It may not be such a bad solution.
Two quick sucks would shut off my Mercedes diesel. Not sure if the Japanese suck more than the Germans. I’d put on a piece of hose and give it a try. I had the hose lying outside the hood at the cowling near the wipers. My wife was not a fan of the system.

Hi Kerry, does it need to be crimped to maintain the vacuum afterwards, or just let go after the actuator worked. Then suck again to release it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior