where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

beef tits

What facts are you using to base your durability and reliability concerns on? How can you pass judgement without owning a Cayenne? In your world, everyone should own brand "X" because you own one!

I owned a 2010 JK Unlimited Rubicon for 6 years from new and had more repairs over the 60K miles I put on it then I have had on my 2015 diesel Cayenne which now has 45K on it over the 3 years I've owned it. The build quality of the Porsche is far superior to the Jeep. The ride comfort of the Jeep is rough and at the end of the day offroading your beat. Dust blows in through the A/C vents after being on a dirt road for miles, then stop and restart the vehicles A/C. There is no headliner in the JK so the heat just pours in through it (not good in Phoenix in summer), having to put in a Hotheads headline. I had to replace the front shocks after 12K miles. I had to modify the cheap front plastic bumper because it contacted a tree during a muddy stream crossing. What I spent in modifications on the JK placed the total cost of the Jeep on par with the cost of the Cayenne when I purchased it new! I use both vehicles for overlanding and enjoy the power and fuel milage far more then the lost capabilities which are really never needed. The JK got 18 mpg while the Cayenne gets 30 mpg over the same road trip. In town the Jeep got 14 mpg while the Cayenne gets 17 when I don't keep my foot out of the accelerator, otherwise 25 mpg. I've towed a offroad teardrop trailer with the Cayenne and didn't even know it was there. I towed a M416 offroad trailer with the JK and you can feel the underpowered minivan engine labor. And finally, I get far more comments on how nice my Porsche is verses the Jeep.

And now, my Cayenne build only consists of swapping out my tires/rims from the stock 19" $2000 rims to LT255/55R18 BFG K02's on gen 1 Cayenne rims. I regularly use the Porsche to travel a 15 mile one-way gravel road to where I shoot out in the desert, traveling up to 50 mph to smooth out the washboard road. I travel many FS roads to hiking trails and camping with the teardrop offroad trailer down the NE AZ forests roads. I have great confidence in the vehicle.

lol someone’s triggered

franky I wouldn’t own a Jeep either...

So you played around on some forest roads...Ok.

Ever taken either of them around the globe? Show me a cayenne that is a true expedition vehicle that doesn’t have a team of other vehicles to support it and I’ll shut up.

Lovetheworld

You can drive anything to the other side of the planet, even some ************ 500 dollar hatchback, like those junk car rallies.
And Cayennes have been on a few trips as well.

Sure it is no Landcruiser, but it is not as of everybody is using Landcruisers only for their trips.

yfarm

Observer
Have owned 2 Cayennes, 08 S and a 13 base. Serviced at a dealership and high end German/ British car repair shop. Both bought new, still own the 13. Service writer at the private shop has over 30 yrs in same shop, told me Cayennes don’t break, opposite experience with the rovers. No complaints with either of mine. Base has plenty of power to run 80-85 all day in 95+ degree temps, 25mpg, 500+ mile range. Easy car to do 1000 mile/day interstate travel. Wifes car, all that being said she prefers the Gen 1 Raptor for long road trips.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Agreed with the service writer. Which Rover do you have?
Gen1 Raptor over a 958 Cayenne for longer road trips? She's hard core!

yfarm

Observer
Agreed with the service writer. Which Rover do you have?
Gen1 Raptor over a 958 Cayenne for longer road trips? She's hard core!
Son had a RR Sport, compressor for suspension, electrical issues and multiple replacements of drivers door panel rosewood cracking in below zero temps. Loved how the car drove couldnt deal with the service issues and arrogance of the dealership.Moved on to 4runner.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Son had a RR Sport, compressor for suspension, electrical issues and multiple replacements of drivers door panel rosewood cracking in below zero temps. Loved how the car drove couldnt deal with the service issues and arrogance of the dealership.Moved on to 4runner.

Hehe, (having a 985 CTT--pretty damn reliable thus far) and a 1st gen RRS SC (air compressor, both front susp airbags, most all the front and rear end susp bushings, 1 very oddball electrical issue from the factory, front wood door panel inserts cracked yes, it's been a lot of $ for maintenance--and this is the reliable Rover! But it stays around as a winter rig and driver to keep miles off the CTT), I'm sure he's only changed the oil and filters in the 4Runner and keeps plodding along.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have a 2013 Cayenne manual trans. 130,000 miles and the car has been trouble free except for the HVAC fan which was replaced under warranty.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Has anyone put larger tires on stock 18 wheels? I have a 2 inch lift but looking at the wheel well there seems to be limited clearance for a larger tire. Looks like there is about an inch clearance in the front inside the fender when the tires are full lock.

I do take the car off road so I'm not looking for a poser look. The stock tires are fine but I will be due for new tires by fall. The car does look look weird with the lift but so be it.

Lovetheworld

I think the Cayennes are reliable. But for me, having it is a second car that is only used for trips, I would hate it to get some high repair bill, even though that bill would be very reasonable for an older Cayenne.
Our daily driver is electric. I think I will skip the whole Cayenne thing, maybe rent one once, and at some point go for a used electric Audi E-tron at some point. The first one of that is very good offroad as well. Just like the Cayenne, you would not always expect it. Then I will have just one car for both daily driving and holiday.
Right now it is an electric daily driver and a 4x4 van. And I don't want to daily drive a Cayenne.

I have a 2013 Cayenne manual trans. 130,000 miles and the car has been trouble free except for the HVAC fan which was replaced under warranty.

Here in Europe you can find manual versions. Not too many, but usually a few for sale. For 2013 or that series, it is always the base series.
For the first gen, it is also typically the base series, but you can find the 955 V8 and even the 957 GTS as a manual. Since these cars are not sold the next day (for example a high priced orange 957 GTS manual a while ago), there is typically one for sale whenever you look.

Last edited:

HUMMER/Expeditions

Here is a question for you.
Do you prefer field repairable vehicle or reliable vehicle?
If it’s not field repairable it’s not long distance remote travel vehicle.

going camping 65 miles away from your home is not overland.
as camping vehicle it’s perfect.

would you take a used Porsche SUV And try to cross Mongolia ? Or go to South America ?

the first gallon of leaded low quality fuel you put in that vehicle will be the end of your overland.

If your adventures are in USA, this vehicle is more than enough and perfect, USA has enough service network and good quality fuel everywhere.
Plus AAA ??

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles