My Journey

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
You have your Base now.

Al you need is travels so you can go Home from time to time.

Well Done !!

BigDawwg

-[Gettin-it Done]-
BigDawwg.....I often like to say I'm homeless but the truth is that I do still own one house. It was built nearly a decade ago but I chose not to live in it when it was completed (I've never slept a night in it). I've been fortunate and the same woman has been in it for the past seven years (before her was a single guy). She just signed a lease for three more years. I haven't been in that house since she moved in. There's plenty of horror stories just like yours that I've heard. We will see where this one goes.....thanks.....

tgil.....the black plastic is a barrier to moisture. Regarding the perennials, I just finished planting a bunch last week.....no real rhyme or reason to what I planted.....simply had to be 40 % off (end of season here in Montana).....tall ones in the back.....so on & so forth.....thanks.....

JD.....I'm curious.....which was too long ? 6,000 miles or 6 weeks ? Or was it 6,000 miles in 6 weeks ? This has been a bad summer for smoke.....had it not been for this cabin I wonder if I'd still be here. Combined with the prolonged heat wave, there were many downright miserable days here this summer.....thanks.....

September 12, 2021.....continuing with this idea that I need to add color to the cabin.....I headed over to Lowes and picked myself up a quart of red paint.....then I painted just three of the two and one quarter inch slats across the front of the entry steps.....

View attachment 682752

I'm not certain that I like it but it looked much better when I added a dog.....I'll wait until next summer to decide if I'll keep the look.....all the blooming perennials on either side could make a big difference.....

View attachment 682755

The tile guy finished the shower and immediately became the flooring guy.....

View attachment 682761

View attachment 682762

As you can see in the pictures I began to hang some of my artwork.....everything I own (it really ain't much) is covered in a heavy layer of dust as the barn is far from airtight.....

View attachment 682763

I was anxious to get my stuff out of that barn.....there's not much good to say about living through a drought.....except for maybe that there's no worry in storing your furniture on the lawn.....

View attachment 682764

View attachment 682767

Trapper seemed to be excited with all that was going on.....

View attachment 682765

Me on the other hand.....I was eyeing those dog print reclining chairs.....it's been almost exactly four years since I've napped in one of those reclining chairs.....I could barely wait.....

View attachment 682766

So close.....yet not quite there.....

View attachment 682769
Jerry,,,,,, the Red on the Steps looks nice, adds alittle character, and it goes with the Racing-Stripe in the Shower,,,,, looks like those Big-Sliding Glass Doors are Screaming for a BIG-DECK to be added,,,,, your almost there, just alittle more....... :)

longhorn1

Observer
BigDawwg.....I often like to say I'm homeless but the truth is that I do still own one house. It was built nearly a decade ago but I chose not to live in it when it was completed (I've never slept a night in it). I've been fortunate and the same woman has been in it for the past seven years (before her was a single guy). She just signed a lease for three more years. I haven't been in that house since she moved in. There's plenty of horror stories just like yours that I've heard. We will see where this one goes.....thanks.....

tgil.....the black plastic is a barrier to moisture. Regarding the perennials, I just finished planting a bunch last week.....no real rhyme or reason to what I planted.....simply had to be 40 % off (end of season here in Montana).....tall ones in the back.....so on & so forth.....thanks.....

JD.....I'm curious.....which was too long ? 6,000 miles or 6 weeks ? Or was it 6,000 miles in 6 weeks ? This has been a bad summer for smoke.....had it not been for this cabin I wonder if I'd still be here. Combined with the prolonged heat wave, there were many downright miserable days here this summer.....thanks.....

September 12, 2021.....continuing with this idea that I need to add color to the cabin.....I headed over to Lowes and picked myself up a quart of red paint.....then I painted just three of the two and one quarter inch slats across the front of the entry steps.....

View attachment 682752

I'm not certain that I like it but it looked much better when I added a dog.....I'll wait until next summer to decide if I'll keep the look.....all the blooming perennials on either side could make a big difference.....

View attachment 682755

The tile guy finished the shower and immediately became the flooring guy.....

View attachment 682761

View attachment 682762

As you can see in the pictures I began to hang some of my artwork.....everything I own (it really ain't much) is covered in a heavy layer of dust as the barn is far from airtight.....

View attachment 682763

I was anxious to get my stuff out of that barn.....there's not much good to say about living through a drought.....except for maybe that there's no worry in storing your furniture on the lawn.....

View attachment 682764

View attachment 682767

Trapper seemed to be excited with all that was going on.....

View attachment 682765

Me on the other hand.....I was eyeing those dog print reclining chairs.....it's been almost exactly four years since I've napped in one of those reclining chairs.....I could barely wait.....

View attachment 682766

So close.....yet not quite there.....

View attachment 682769
The 6 weeks was a bit long, the 6,000 miles not an issue, except fuel costs were absurd. Think I paid a high of just over $4/gallon once. $2,200+/- in fuel costs doubled my trip fuel budget. A big change will be coming. We placed an order for an Oliver Travel Trailer. We will have 340W of solar and Lithium batteries to allow off grid camping. Our style of camping is changing with age and more luxuries desired. Spending 6 weeks camping in a Four Wheel Camper has given us a new perspective.

Dogman1911.....your post is exactly what I was thinking.....I have never in my long life named a house, cabin, truck, etc. that I have owned but for some reason I started (recently) calling this place Base Camp. Who knows if the name will stick.....actually, who really cares ? But yea, it's my base camp.....and now I need to wander so it can really be my base camp.....

vintageracer.....thanks.....it's turning out to be far better than what I ever could have imagined. Just last night before returning to my truck camper for the night, I was sitting in one of those ? print recliners and admiring all of my hard work. On April first of 2021 I was somewhere south of Montana without a thought of building a small cabin this summer.....I believe this is the real beauty of living the life of a wanderer. Hopefully the creature comforts that this place will afford me won't change my desires to wander.....

Arjan.....yes, exactly.....thank you.....

BigDawwg.....there is a plan for a big deck out there.....as a matter of fact I even have plans to install a bathtub with hot & cold running water (not a hot tub.....been there / done that) on that deck. But not this year.....as you well know.....snow in the valley is just around the corner.....

JD.....my guess is that with your new rig you'll find that six weeks is not near enough. Something that I discovered in my travels is that there's almost a "hump" where traveling (living in an RV) becomes the norm & you really don't even notice the time spent on the road. I'm not sure when one crosses the "hump" but I do know it's a real thing for me. Congratulations on the new purchase.....

September 17, 2021.....I awoke to see the first freeze of the upcoming Montana winter.....the fence where I hang my washed clothes to dry was covered in a thin layer of ice.....

20210917_081714_copy_1200x675.jpg

.....and that I believed meant it was time to harvest my small patch of potatoes.....

20210916_122925_copy_1200x2133.jpg

The tomato plants suffered from the first freeze.....

20210916_122831_copy_1200x2133.jpg

.....but my bounty is still looking pretty good.....I've had enough to share with friends.....and that's what is important to me.....

20210917_113950_copy_1200x2133.jpg

.....and then late that evening I received a visit from a Great Horned Owl.....

20210915_195845_copy_1200x2133.jpg

.....and then shortly thereafter a second owl shared the power pole.....the hooting of the owls that evening was everything majical and just made me feel so alive (if that makes any sense).....

20210915_195951_copy_1200x675.jpg

The neigbbors tree turned to an autumn gold and that trees beauty managed to take me away from my work and I found myself opening the driveway gate and wandering down my driveway into her yard.....I marveled at the colors and I thought I need to go soon.....

20210922_124057_copy_1200x2133.jpg

Then I noticed another neighbors tractor and off I went to explore.....

20210922_124213_copy_1200x2133.jpg

I believe he said it was a 1943 model.....and yes it still works when it gets the call.....I found it to be absolutely beautiful.....

20210922_124235_copy_1200x2133.jpg

September 19, 2021.....I awoke to see the first snow of the season.....honestly that's an emotional event for me.....there's just something about that first snow.....I have no idea what it is.....

20210919_091429_copy_1200x675.jpg

The mountains to the south reach up to nearly 11,000 feet and can easily be seen from my backyard.....

20210919_091409_copy_1200x675.jpg

September 20, 2021.....the following night the snowline dropped maybe another one thousand feet.....

20210920_074423_copy_1200x306.jpg

.....the mountains to the east.....maybe in the ten thousand foot range also got a dusting of snow.....

20210920_174555_copy_1200x318.jpg

20210920_174624_copy_1200x2133.jpg

Work continued on "Base Camp".....

20210922_115434_copy_1600x2844.jpg

Exterior lighting was completed on the cabin.....the barn will be next.....

20210922_192435_copy_1600x900.jpg

20210922_192454_copy_1600x2844.jpg

I went out on a limb with the red exterior lighting.....if you don't like it.....blame the designer.....she "love, love, loved" it.....

20210922_192325_copy_1600x900.jpg

20210922_192553_copy_1600x2844.jpg

.....and actually I like it too.....

20210922_192307_copy_1600x900.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I’m a 1943 model too.

I like everything I see about your base camp. I noticed you didn’t use sliding glass doors. I hate then… always sticking and jamming.

I just looked closer. Are they sliders?

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tgil

....but my bounty is still looking pretty good.....I've had enough to share with friends.....and that's what is important to me.....
This is a big "trait" of yours. Your stories, pre-C19, along the border always stirred in me a desire to do more for my fellow man. Those red lights...I think "those are cool!" popped out of my mouth as soon as I scrolled down and they rolled into view. How long, do you think, before you will need to head south to avoid being stuck there in the snow?

Ace.....they are indeed sliders.....the glass panel furthest to the left & furthest to the right are both stationary. The other two doors slide left & right. Like you, I too am not much of a fan of the sliders. I did purchase Andersen & spent a good bit so I'm hoping that by not going cheap, that I'll have a good experience.....these things are really well made.....

tgil.....I'm just another guy out there in the world trying to get by.....I doubt I do anymore good in this world than any other man does. Regarding the weather & me (us) leaving.....I just don't know. Everyday begins with a look at the 14 day weather forecast.....so far it's still highs in the 60's 14 days out. I sold my last home here in southwest Montana on October 12, 2017 (& began the current trip) and it had already snowed at least once that year. This years weather has been much hotter than anything I've ever seen.....the weather rules us.....and who knows.....maybe we stay.....

Jupiter58.....thanks ! I'm real proud of my work and it's coming along nicely. I've still got tasks ahead of me but I'd say we're at 95 % complete.....it feels real good to lounge in those ? print chairs in the evening before I retire to yet another night in the camper.....my home sweet home.....

My laundry list of tasks to get done is still quite lengthy but now the tasks are typically items that take hours to complete.....not days or weeks. And not all tasks have to do with Base Camp.....there's also my traveling house, the truck & the Jeep that need some attention too.....

20210924_134332_copy_1200x2133.jpg

September 24, 2021.....For the past week or so I've been attending to the truck camper.....the decals / stickers that came with the rig have been developing cracks and have been detaching so I finally decided to remove them all.....except for the brand name & the bird stickers.....

20210924_134349_copy_1200x675.jpg

So the dogs spend their time in the shade mostly watching me doing yet another task that I hate to do.....

20210924_134413_copy_1200x2133.jpg

With the stickers removed, I followed up with a good washing (actually twice).....and then I waxed it.....this is a ritual for me.....once in the spring & once in the fall.....I never once missed that task with the BigFoot.....13 years.....

20210924_134341_copy_1200x2133.jpg

The electricians returned and they're now 100 % complete.....the barn got it's red lights.....

20210924_120017_copy_1200x2133.jpg

Ties it into the cabin real well.....looks real good.....

20210924_120113_copy_1200x2133.jpg

My airplane propeller fans got installed in the great room & bedroom.....these things are crazy strong with settings from 1 to 5.....don't even think about using number 5.....

20210922_122035_copy_1200x675.jpg

September 26, 2021.....I started bringing in boxes from the barn and began to unpack my beloved books.....I missed my books and I know no explanation for those feelings. As a matter of fact I've sold many of my books during my last two moves.....and I regret that I did that.....

I also sold nearly all of my furniture during my last move.....the people that bought that house just loved my furniture & they got most of it.....so off I went to the barn to look through my barn finds. I found some old, rustic looking boards and began to build a new home for my beloved books.....

20210926_131315_copy_1200x2133.jpg

Often boards found in a barn come covered in farm animal poop but not these boards.....well, I'd say these boards.....16 feet in length were 99 % free of farm animal poop.....they were stored high in the rafters.....perfect for my planned project of wooden bookcases.....

20210926_131344_copy_1200x2133.jpg

And here's the finished project in all it's glory.....I'd say it's a great spot for my books to showcase themselves with some of my finds that I purchased during my travels over the years.....

20210926_130549_copy_1200x675.jpg

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
Ace.....they are indeed sliders.....the glass panel furthest to the left & furthest to the right are both stationary. The other two doors slide left & right. Like you, I too am not much of a fan of the sliders. I did purchase Andersen & spent a good bit so I'm hoping that by not going cheap, that I'll have a good experience.....these things are really well made.....

tgil.....I'm just another guy out there in the world trying to get by.....I doubt I do anymore good in this world than any other man does. Regarding the weather & me (us) leaving.....I just don't know. Everyday begins with a look at the 14 day weather forecast.....so far it's still highs in the 60's 14 days out. I sold my last home here in southwest Montana on October 12, 2017 (& began the current trip) and it had already snowed at least once that year. This years weather has been much hotter than anything I've ever seen.....the weather rules us.....and who knows.....maybe we stay.....

Jupiter58.....thanks ! I'm real proud of my work and it's coming along nicely. I've still got tasks ahead of me but I'd say we're at 95 % complete.....it feels real good to lounge in those ? print chairs in the evening before I retire to yet another night in the camper.....my home sweet home.....

My laundry list of tasks to get done is still quite lengthy but now the tasks are typically items that take hours to complete.....not days or weeks. And not all tasks have to do with Base Camp.....there's also my traveling house, the truck & the Jeep that need some attention too.....

View attachment 684155

For the past week or so I've been attending to the truck camper.....the decals / stickers that came with the rig have been developing cracks and have been detaching so I finally decided to remove them all.....except for the brand name & the bird stickers.....

View attachment 684156

So the dogs spend their time in the shade mostly watching me doing yet another task that I hate to do.....

View attachment 684157

With the stickers removed, I followed up with a good washing (actually twice).....and then I waxed it.....this is a ritual for me.....once in the spring & once in the fall.....I never once missed that task with the BigFoot.....13 years.....

View attachment 684158

The electricians returned and they're now 100 % complete.....the barn got it's red lights.....

View attachment 684159

Ties it into the cabin real well.....looks real good.....

View attachment 684160

My airplane propeller fans got installed in the great room & bedroom.....these things are crazy strong with settings from 1 to 5.....don't even think about using number 5.....

View attachment 684161

I started bringing in boxes from the barn and began to unpack my beloved books.....I missed my books and I know no explanation for those feelings. As a matter of fact I've sold many of my books during my last two moves.....and I regret that I did that.....

I also sold nearly all of my furniture during my last move.....the people that bought that house just loved my furniture & they got most of it.....so off I went to the barn to look through my barn finds. I found some old, rustic looking boards and began to build a new home for my beloved books.....

View attachment 684162

Often boards found in a barn come covered in farm animal poop but not these boards.....well, I'd say these boards.....16 feet in length were 99 % free of farm animal poop.....they were stored high in the rafters.....perfect for my planned project of wooden bookcases.....

View attachment 684163

And here's the finished project in all it's glory.....I'd say it's a great spot for my books to showcase themselves with some of my finds that I purchased during my travels over the years.....

View attachment 684164
Love the fan and the bookcases! The bookcases really tie in with the door trim and the floor.
Nice work!

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I know exactly how you feel about the books. I was very happy to get mine unboxed and on the existing shelves when I settled down in my current home.

I’ll bet a box of donuts that those books will convince you to spend the winter at Base Camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke