Yeah! Tire size questions once more!

jzzr83

I am sure we need more threads about JKUR tire sizes so here we go...
My plan from day one was to lift the jeep when the stock BFG Mud Terrain tires need replacing. But too bad for me they need to be done now and we are in the process of new siding, roofing, small entry addition and new garage floor. Needless to say, spending money on a lift, wheels and 35" tires are going to have to wait.

I will have to leave the stock suspension on it for now. Here are the two options I was thinking of...

255/80/17 - These were only available for the Falken Wildpeak AT3/W
285/70/17 - These I could also get the Falkens but also the BFG K02

I liked the idea of skinny and taller (255/80/17) but not sure if they would be too tall and end up rubbing too much. I ended up ordering the 285/70/17 as costco had a $110 rebate at the time.
Does anyone have experience with either size? Would the tall and skinny have fit?

billiebob

Just build a bigger Jeep and mount 60s

IMG_20180913_145651_737-Copy.jpg

Sorry for the segway..... altho I've had KM2s, 255/80R17.... My TJR also has the Highline and 33s or 35s bolt on without any lift.
Before going crazy with a lift, check out the HighLine options for a JKUR.
I think Mopar has HighLine Flares that bolt onto the stock body.

And keep all the stock Jeep suspension which is often better quality than a lift.

I loved the 255/80R17s. Also had the 255/85R16s. Both great tires.

yfarm

Observer
Have 285 70 17 ko2s on a 2013 jkur on stock wheels. No issues, have been in some really ugly places scouting hunts in desert environments without issues. Ko2s seem to chunk more in rocks now and plan to replace with falken at3w when its time.

jadmt

ignore button user
255/80-17 work perfect on a jkur stock. There are others beside the falkens in that size ie toyo and bfg and copper etcbut i have had the falkens and they are excellent. A ko2 in 34/10.5-17 is almost identical in size.

ayarkha

I am sure we need more threads about JKUR tire sizes so here we go...
My plan from day one was to lift the jeep when the stock BFG Mud Terrain tires need replacing. But too bad for me they need to be done now and we are in the process of new siding, roofing, small entry addition and new garage floor. Needless to say, spending money on a lift, wheels and 35" tires are going to have to wait.

I will have to leave the stock suspension on it for now. Here are the two options I was thinking of...

255/80/17 - These were only available for the Falken Wildpeak AT3/W
285/70/17 - These I could also get the Falkens but also the BFG K02

I liked the idea of skinny and taller (255/80/17) but not sure if they would be too tall and end up rubbing too much. I ended up ordering the 285/70/17 as costco had a $110 rebate at the time.
Does anyone have experience with either size? Would the tall and skinny have fit?
I had experience and it was good.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I know that the 285/70r17 will work on a stock JKU with the stock rim. That's the size that Casey at Coyote Works is/was running on his Jeep before the lift. I've got 285/75 R17 KO2 tires on mine and I don't believe that they'd fit without a slight lift. They're 33.25" tall and I'm running OME 2.25" springs and shocks. I currently have AEV rims with 5.2" backspacing, but I've been collecting Gladiator spare wheels with 6" backspacing and I'm hoping they will work on my Jeep. That should keep the mud off my doors in the winter!

billiebob

speaking of tire sizes and who makes what. this is my favourite tire tool
key in the size you want, it lists everything sold in north america then list the next closest choices

ie... 255/85R16

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
speaking of tire sizes and who makes what. this is my favourite tire tool
key in the size you want, it lists everything sold in north america then list the next closest choices

ie... 255/85R16

Me too! It's a great site for researching tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles