OVRLND CAMPERS ONLY : Post your OVRLND Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

aaaslayer

Walls are up. Used velcro for now, and it held really good. I really doubt it'll come off. Maybe years from now, thing is on there rock solid. I'll still use aluminum rivnuts eventually, to hold the walls up but mainly, because I plan on using L track outside the walls so the rivnuts will serve 2 purposes, hold walls up and L track.

I plan on doing the barn doors and hatches over the weekend. I'll get started on the ceiling next week and then start the build on the bench/storage. Have a great weekend!

Attachments

• 20220128_150935_resized.jpg
    20220128_150935_resized.jpg
    838.7 KB · Views: 260
  • 20220128_150939_resized.jpg
    20220128_150939_resized.jpg
    754.7 KB · Views: 261
  • 20220128_150945_resized.jpg
    20220128_150945_resized.jpg
    839.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 20220128_150949_resized.jpg
    20220128_150949_resized.jpg
    692.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 20220128_150952_resized.jpg
    20220128_150952_resized.jpg
    860.6 KB · Views: 236

aaaslayer

Looks like a great start!

FWIW, for my Coroplast panels I went to two different fasteners. For through attachments into the frame in the corners and a few edges I used 3/4” self-tapping lathe screws with a smaller diameter 1/8” drilled starter hole. Super easy and they have an integrated washer type flat head. If you dont screw them down too tight they dont distort/collapse the coroplast and they have held really well over time. I've also used these for bungee anchors. Thought maybe they’d pull out, but they hold great for that use too.

Where the coroplast butts up to the sill plate or corners, I found some 4’x 1/4” alu angle at McMaster Carr. I cut it to about 2” pieces and put VHB on one side only. They work well to hold the edges and corners tight and flat where needed.

View attachment 704357

Sorry, no pics of the lathe screws on hand and my truck’s in getting its 500 mile diff fluid check and change after the regear break in. Can get one tomorrow if you need.

I used alu Rivnuts in several places too, mostly for heavier things like the wood panel and electric switch box combo, my Wave 3 heater and some 8020 add-on. Works great, but a bit of a PITA and overkill IMO for light stuff.
if and when you're able to, if you can send a pic of where you mounted your alu rivnuts please. Especially on the corners. It's easy to put riv nuts into the studs, but in the corners it looks more challenging because my giant rivnut tool won't let me insert them into corners due to limited space

dstefan

Looks great! Makes me wish I hadn’t gotten the cab facing window. I’m now planning to cover it as its my remaining major thermal gap. My wife likes it for light, so gotta make it removable.

Happy to shoot a couple pics tomorrow, but I haven‘t done any in corners.

This is what I use for a Rivnut tool with a battery driven impact driver. Gets in tight spots. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page in the link.
1643416357418.jpeg

You can also make you own. There‘s info I’ve seen (sorry, don't recall where) on the ways to do it, but this tool is great.

Last edited:

armoured

It looks like the V2 AF cab doesn't have the same extruded aluminum rail that the bed sits on top of? Is it just me or that's changed in V2 to bolts that the bed sits on top of? I think it would help this thread to get a full list of what all/specifics have changed from V1 to V2.

Also wish I would have known the V2 is automatically higher than the normal V1 for bed height. I went with 2" V1 cab over height and based on some photos I've seen on insta....I kinda regret that over the V2 dual tone. V2 dual tone looks so much better, slimmer, doesn't scream camper and if it does have extra height over V1 standard I wish I would have known. I really wanted the extra bed height but they told me that V2 couldn't do that - they didn't tell me anything about the height advantage by default.

Ovrlnd doesn't provide too much information on their campers, no true measurements, charts, etc. Communication has been really difficult with them as well. They are only starting to put up the instagram videos of builds, explaining things, which helps - but they should do a better job on the main website.

armoured

Also who's going to be the first brave person to throw one of these Dickinson heaters in their Ovrlnds? I really want one on the rear barn doors (no windows)

dstefan

if and when you're able to, if you can send a pic of where you mounted your alu rivnuts please. Especially on the corners.
I kinda think these wont help you too much, but here you go …
1643502539115.jpeg
1643502640252.jpeg

This is the rear corner by the doors. Couldn’t even get the small Rivnut tool in there so used a self tapping screw.
1643502771195.jpeg
My heater mounts. All the Rivnuts have been centered in the frame members. I had to use spacers here to clearance the heater mount.
1643502961264.jpeg
These are the lathe screws I mentioned.

Hope this helps somehow!

AZflyer

It looks like the V2 AF cab doesn't have the same extruded aluminum rail that the bed sits on top of? Is it just me or that's changed in V2 to bolts that the bed sits on top of? I think it would help this thread to get a full list of what all/specifics have changed from V1 to V2.

Also wish I would have known the V2 is automatically higher than the normal V1 for bed height. I went with 2" V1 cab over height and based on some photos I've seen on insta....I kinda regret that over the V2 dual tone. V2 dual tone looks so much better, slimmer, doesn't scream camper and if it does have extra height over V1 standard I wish I would have known. I really wanted the extra bed height but they told me that V2 couldn't do that - they didn't tell me anything about the height advantage by default.

Ovrlnd doesn't provide too much information on their campers, no true measurements, charts, etc. Communication has been really difficult with them as well. They are only starting to put up the instagram videos of builds, explaining things, which helps - but they should do a better job on the main website.

I have to agree with you. I have made my deposit and visited the shop in Flagstaff. Ryan really pushed the extra height and i didn't ask questions. What are the differences in the 2 versions?

OVRLND Campers

I can chime in! Sorry we’re working on updating the website to include the differences, and will make this a priority.

Homegrown or V1 is all welded. Meaning the cabover is welded to the bottom half and skinned as one piece. The standard height on this cabover is 8”. This version can go to 9” or 10” cabover. Most folks go with this version based on the ability to go with the 10” cabover. 10” gives more bedding space, more sitting room on the bed and more standing room in the camper. By getting the 10” you limit the campsite shuffle since you can leave more stuff In the cabover portion. TThe Homegrown version is a bit lighter by 5 or so lbs. it includes 80/20 rails that the bed slides on.

AF or V2. Bottom half welded with bolt on cabover. This cabover only comes in 7.5” thick, making it the smallest we make. Extra bedding is not an option. The cabover requires powder coating to match or to achieve the two tone effect. No added 80/20 as the bed slides on the bolted on cabover portion.

I hope that clears some things up! Feel free to call us anytime to get questions answered as I just had my first kid I’ve been slow to email.

Jay

Last edited:

aaaslayer

V2 isn't slimmer, they both are the same width. V2 sits shorter perhaps but not by much. V2 can't do extra height because it is an extruded giant piece, powder coating is required for that due to its size, I imagine you can't fit it in a tank to anodize it so powder coating is the solution. There's no measurements provided either because these are made to order for your truck, they're not universal like say a FWC Project M. They're made specifically to your dimensions, so measurements will vary from truck to truck. You provide your bed dimensions, and then you get provided dimensions afterwards of what the camper will be like on your particular truck. Communication with them is top notch, Maggie was on top of it and extremely helpful, but she just had a baby so that could explain why you're not getting fast responses. Try calling early morning instead of email right before they get to working and you'll likely be able to get someone on the line. Their builds are top notch and customer service is top notch.

aaaslayer

Morning,

Over the weekend I finished up the hatches and coroplast. Mattress covers were installed. Unfortunately one of them has 2 giant tears in the stitching. My wife said she can fix it in her sewing machine, but does kind of suck nonetheless. I will email the pics to the business to see what they say about it. Other than the tears, the quality is good. Yes the fabric looks "baggy" but that's because the foam mattress isn't firm, so when you lay on them and the mattress compresses, the covers look baggy. The fit and finish is great though and the piping is a nice touch. As I stop to think about how I will tackle the ceiling coroplast and whether I'll be using rivnuts, velcro, or maybe a bit of both, I will be buying the lumber needed this week for my storage benches and get to working on that. Hope to have that assembled this weekend hopefully.

Also bought some cool LED strip lights for the "1st floor" that will wrap around the entire inside perimeter. Bought these cool RGBIC lights with a neat rainbow effect and they light up to music and your voice. Something to keep the kiddos entertained at camp.

Any OVRLNDCAMPER owners out there mount some kind of tablet mount up top by the bed? Was thinking of doing a rivnut on one of the square tubes up top, installing a RAM mount and my tablet up top for us to comfortably watch movies up there. Shouldn't be difficult at all to do, just looking for ideas of what others have done, if any.

Attachments

• 20220130_164048_resized.jpg
    20220130_164048_resized.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 236
  • 20220130_164051_resized.jpg
    20220130_164051_resized.jpg
    714.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 20220130_164054_resized.jpg
    20220130_164054_resized.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 20220130_164104_resized.jpg
    20220130_164104_resized.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 270
  • 20220130_164722_resized.jpg
    20220130_164722_resized.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 260

aaaslayer

here's the tear in my mattress covers.....would I order from them again? perhaps. The price was great, dirt cheap in fact. You get what you pay for I guess. Quality is actually really good, just poor inspection on their part once it was completed they didn't even notice the 2 giant tears. The stitching is coming undone so I'm afraid it will continue to spread unless it gets reinforced with more stitching.

Attachments

• IMG-20220130-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20220130-WA0014.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG-20220130-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20220130-WA0015.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 60

armoured

Maggie was on top of it and extremely helpful, but she just had a baby so that could explain why you're not getting fast responses. Try calling early morning instead of email right before they get to working and you'll likely be able to get someone on the line.

Glad you had a better experience than me. Been dealing with this over 6 months now, it was that way from the beginning til now. Emails take 4+ days for them to answer, this was during the first month, last month and these last few weeks - ie the whole time. These last few weeks don't count in my book because of the baby, but my experience with them and communication have been difficult. Spending nearly 15k on something and waiting 4-5 days for a reply to my email, calling 3-4 times a day and not being able to reach Jay or anyone really. It's crazy I even kept my order but I didn't want to be put on a waitlist for something else.

I know these things are built for specific trucks, but it's not as complicated or custom as you make it. It's easy enough to get measurements for the most popular trucks available, such as Tacomas, Tundras, etc. Your powerwagon I understand will prob need to be dealt through email, but most of their business is for Long Bed Tacomas. At least have a chart with dimensions for that on the website.

I'm not hating on Ovrlnd, I spent around 15k on one, I'm just stating my experience.

Last edited:

dstefan

While I would agree that the website could use a little refresh, I completely agree with Aaaslayer’s comments on working with Jay and Maggie. They have been tremendously responsive to me in the process and since with my questions and advice. Great example: my thermal pack was two inches too wide in the front too fasten correctly to the side wall. They got it revised within two weeks of sending the front piece back and PERSONALLY delivered it to us in Phoenix, taking time out of a personal outing to do so. As Aaaslayer said — top notch.

aaaslayer

Glad you had a better experience than me. Been dealing with this over 6 months now, it was that way from the beginning til now. Emails take 4+ days for them to answer, this was during the first month, last month and these last few weeks - ie the whole time. These last few weeks don't count in my book because of the baby, but my experience with them and communication have been difficult . Spending nearly 15k on something and waiting 4-5 days for a reply to my email, calling 3-4 times a day and not being able to reach Jay or anyone really. It's crazy I even kept my order but I didn't want to be put on a waitlist for something else.

I know these things are built for specific trucks, but it's not as complicated or custom as you make it. It's easy enough to get measurements for the most popular trucks available, such as Tacomas, Tundras, etc. Your powerwagon I understand will prob need to be dealt through email, but most of their business is for Long Bed Tacomas. At least have a chart with dimensions for that on the website.

I'm not hating on Ovrlnd, I spent around 15k on one, I'm just stating my experience.
Sorry your experience was different. I had the same experience with FWC at their show room. They treated me as if I couldn't afford one of their campers. No help, they couldn't even answer basic questions regarding their builds. It was awkward. I was more prepared than the sales rep, and this was all by appointment lol. You'd think he prepare for the appt. I'm glad they treated me that way though, after seeing both in person, I'm extremely happy I didn't go with FWC.

Last edited:

aaaslayer

here's the tear in my mattress covers.....would I order from them again? perhaps. The price was great, dirt cheap in fact. You get what you pay for I guess. Quality is actually really good, just poor inspection on their part once it was completed they didn't even notice the 2 giant tears. The stitching is coming undone so I'm afraid it will continue to spread unless it gets reinforced with more stitching.

Update on this matter, the company reached out and said they'd send me a replacement at no cost. Hopefully the replacement has no tears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles