Time for a New Truck--MPG is a Priority

phsycle

Adventurer
Nah. No mods planned here. I optioned the truck to be equipped for how I believe we would realistically use it. (That's what kept me from ordering a Tremor, haha)

My normal commute is 68 miles (both ways) of freeway / highway with cruise set to 65. So thinking I should be able to stay out of the turbos.

68 miles (just work commute so doesn't include any other running around) 5 days per week... that 2 MPG at $1.43 per litre may add up to some savings?

If you’re at 65mph, and no crazy steep climbs, you’d probably see 24mpg. That’s exactly what I have and I saw 23 at 70 mph.

If you didn’t need the 2k lb payload, I’d go 2.7 though. You’d probably be at 25-26mpg. I saw 24mpg at 70.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If you’re at 65mph, and no crazy steep climbs, you’d probably see 24mpg. That’s exactly what I have and I saw 23 at 70 mph.

If you didn’t need the 2k lb payload, I’d go 2.7 though. You’d probably be at 25-26mpg. I saw 24mpg at 70.
Nah, it's all flat. Your estimate seems on par with what you stated prior about 2 MPG difference.

In the summer under ideal conditions (no construction/traffic slow downs etc) I'm averaging 21-22 mpg on my commute with my current truck (with Duratracs)

I don't think you can get a 2.7 in a supercrew with the 6.5" box in 4x4.

Also went with 3.5 so I could get Max Tow even though I'd hit payload before my tow rating. (which is also why I spec'd the onboard scale)

I don't think I'll see 2K payload. Hoping with the options I picked it'll be 1,800 ish.

rruff

Explorer
I doubt you’d see any meaningful difference in MPG. Especially if you end up modifying the truck. Stock, gentle highway driving, I’d bet you’re ~2mpg improvement. Nothing to write home about.
... that 2 MPG at $1.43 per litre may add up to some savings?

According to Fuelly, the 5.0 and 3.5 average about the same mpg, with the 5.0 being slightly better. 16.34 vs 16.16 mpg for 2017-2021.

The 2.7 is substantially better at 18.26 average. If you want a 2 mpg improvement, that's the one you need to pick...

phsycle

Adventurer
According to Fuelly, the 5.0 and 3.5 average about the same mpg, with the 5.0 being slightly better. 16.34 vs 16.16 mpg for 2017-2021.

The 2.7 is substantially better at 18.26 average. If you want a 2 mpg improvement, that's the one you need to pick...

I’d like to test a 5.0 one day, with same gearing. Although I don’t know if they come with 3.55 gears. I’m around 4,500 ft and don’t know how much that will play into it. It’d be impressive if the coyote can get 23-24mpg.
Around town, I doubt there would be any difference.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

2.7 might work for the OP but not me. I already ordered mine with the 3.5.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nah. No mods planned here. I optioned the truck to be equipped for how I believe we would realistically use it. (That's what kept me from ordering a Tremor, haha)

My normal commute is 68 miles (both ways) of freeway / highway with cruise set to 65. So thinking I should be able to stay out of the turbos.

68 miles (just work commute so doesn't include any other running around) 5 days per week... that 2 MPG at $1.43 per litre may add up to some savings?
Should see 21-23mpg mild temp commutes and likely 19-21 cold commute

wife was running 44 miles each way mild temps in the Fusion Plug in. Awesome car for that. 80,000 mile average is 62mpg?

My 3.5 Platinum 3.73 Expedition on stock sized mild A/T 3 peak BFGs easily runs 22-23mpg 65 and under. Lost about 1mpg at the 65 and up speeds going from the passenger car tire to the light a/t Trail terrain ?

phsycle

Adventurer
Nah, it's all flat. Your estimate seems on par with what you stated prior about 2 MPG difference.

In the summer under ideal conditions (no construction/traffic slow downs etc) I'm averaging 21-22 mpg on my commute with my current truck (with Duratracs)

I don't think you can get a 2.7 in a supercrew with the 6.5" box in 4x4.

Also went with 3.5 so I could get Max Tow even though I'd hit payload before my tow rating. (which is also why I spec'd the onboard scale)

I don't think I'll see 2K payload. Hoping with the options I picked it'll be 1,800 ish.

You can’t lose either way, anyway. And no choice for you since you want a 6.5’ bed. 3.5 and max tow is nice, and if nothing else, for resale.

stevo_pct

I’d like to test a 5.0 one day, with same gearing. Although I don’t know if they come with 3.55 gears. I’m around 4,500 ft and don’t know how much that will play into it. It’d be impressive if the coyote can get 23-24mpg.
Around town, I doubt there would be any difference.

I have a 5.0 with the 3.73 gear set (2019 SuperCrew with 5.5' bed and FX4 package). I don't think you can get the 5.0 with 3.55 gears (it was either 3.31 or 3.73 - at least when I was looking for 2019 models).

I can get 20-22 mpg when on the highway (that's in Colorado so maybe it could do better at lower altitudes). "Around town" I get about 17 in the summer and 15-16 in the winter.

Pulling a teardrop trailer through the Colorado mountains, I have seen as low as 17 mpg and as high as 21 mpg.

FWIW, I hand calculated the numbers above. The number displayed in the dash is consistently 1mpg high.

Last edited:

skrypj

I'm curious how the turbos work. Seems like you could get a lot more power at high altitude vs NA, but probably worse mpg then, too?

Depends how “oversized” the turbos are. If the turbo can flow 20% more air mass than the engine needs to make the engines rated power, then it can sustain full power up to ~6500’. If they are sized large enough for 30% more air than they can sustain full power up to 11,000’.

My 2014 3.5 Ecoboost has enough turbo to about 6000’ and then it will start to cut. The 2018+ 3.5 Ecoboosts can make their full rated power up 12000’. They don’t limit power based on elevation at all in the tune. My 2014 does.

2.7 Ecoboosts have smaller turbos than my truck an I believe will maintain the factory rating up to about 5000’.

Intake air temperature plays a role too though. Hot air will reduce the air mass a turbo can flow. Basically, a certain size turbo can flow a certain volume of air. The density of that air determines the air mass. High altitude and high temperatures both reduce density.

MPG’s will only be worse if you use the extra power.

Last edited:

D45

Explorer
Friend has a Ram 2500 with the 6.4L, he's getting 7 mpg

That's insane........I like the 6.4L and the 250p, but noway I could deal with 7mpg

jadmt

ignore button user
Friend has a Ram 2500 with the 6.4L, he's getting 7 mpg

That's insane........I like the 6.4L and the 250p, but noway I could deal with 7mpg
I get at least double that. Some of these guys must leave them idling for hours and mash the pedal to the floor at every chance. I hand figure every tank of gas and i have never been even close to that. It has been a rare fill up that is under 12 and i have been 16-17 more than 12-13

phsycle

Adventurer
I'm curious how the turbos work. Seems like you could get a lot more power at high altitude vs NA, but probably worse mpg then, too?

Have not driven the 5.0 extensively here but 2.7/3.5 both feel better when climbing and passing. MPG depends on how often you mash. At WOT, I don’t know if there would be significant difference either engine. Didn’t tfl or some channel do a tow test at elevation with the 3.5 and 5.0? I seem to remember mpg were similar.

OllieChristopher

If MPG is the top priority understand ever mod, lift, tire size bump, roof rack, canoe and kayak will KILL the priority for fuel economy.

Very well stated Bill!! Also a bed cap or dropping the tailgate kills fuel economy as well. I scratch my head in bewilderment with these loaded down rooftop rigs with huge awnings, steel bumpers, winches and all that spare fuel. I bet they are dropping 7-8 mpg on some of them.

OllieChristopher

FWIW I have a 2005 GMC Sierra base. 4.3 liter V6 with 5 speed manual and 3.73 gears. It has a 3" knuckle lift, 265/70 x 17 tires and soft topper. I get 16-17 mpg around the city and 19-20mpg highway when doing 70mph unloaded. When I tow it drops to 12mpg no matter how careful I drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz