SOLD — Earthroamer #28 For Sale (F450 / 6.0L / 2006)

Josh Biro

Earthroamer #28 is for sale.

Asking price $200,000 USD / $250,000 CAD

**I’m happy to provide a virtual tour for those out of province / country.
**Will ship anywhere in North America at buyer’s expense

Reason for selling - we are now a family of 5 so we want something bigger (like an HD, or larger GXV if you want to trade). This is a reluctant sale.

Year: 2006
Chassis: Ford F450, 6.0L Diesel engine (bulletproofed)
Mileage: 213406 kms
95 gallons fuel capacity
Rear bench seat (seats 5)
Register in AB Canada

Chassis upgrades (beyond Earthroamer upgrades):
Bulletproof Diesel EGR cooler
Bulletproof Diesel Oil cooler system
Bulletproof Diesel FICM
Smittybuilt 15000lbs winch

Recent maintenance:
Brand New truck batteries (April 2022)
New high performance head studs
New head gasket
New injectors
New brake calipers, rotors, and pads
New rear tires
New king shocks (from Earthroamer)
New marine 2 way fridge (vitrifrigo)
New purple mattress (cal king)
2 new alternators
New house batteries - 450 amp hours
Fresh oil change
Joints greased and 4x4 serviced

House:
Fiberglass one piece mounted with 3 point pivot system. Absolutely ZERO leaks ever.
950 watts solar
Pure sine wave inverter
Solar controller
Alternator charging control
Diesel cooktop
Diesel air heater
Diesel water heater
Electric water heater
Wet bath with cassette toilet (5 gallon)
85 gallon fresh water tank
26 gallon grey water tank
Nesspresso latissima touch coffee maker (fast super good coffee with milk frother)
New seating / second bed cushions (custom made with 4 inch sleeping foam)

ER28 is in great shape, and ready to roll!

Literally none out there at this price.

Way better bang for your buck than building a sprinter

Other things we'd be happy to include for a full price offer:

Heavy duty sand boards / bridging boards
One-up 4 bike rack
Mexico import sticker (this has 5+ years left on it. We'll leave it on the vehicle and eat the expense of not returning it. This will let you drive anywhere in Mexico / cross the boarder without the rigamarole of importing)
Scan guage 2 engine monitor calibrated to the 6.0L engine

No tire kickers please. Serious inquiries only. You can get a good idea if this is a fit for you by watching the videos linked below.

Videos of the truck:

Photos of the truck:

Known issues:
The faux leather header is separating in the very front bunk area - barely noticeable unless you touch it, not in the way at all. We just opted not to fix it. Earthroamer said they'll fix it next time we bring the truck there.

Air conditioner is done and needs replacing. We just haven't gotten to it yet. This is planned maintenance for us this spring so check back. Honestly we have never needed it except when in Mexico over the summer months. The ventilation is excellent.

Paint on the very top front of the cabin is quite faded/worn. Just cosmetic not very noticeable. If it really matters to you we'd suggest a full wrap like ER does or painting the whole thing in line-x. Just hasn't been important to us.

One door button broken - waiting on replacement. Still functions fine.

Table has a scratch on it - can easily be sanded out.

Lights in the trunks don't work, never have. Has never been a priority for us.

The vin may pull up as a salvage vehicle because it was stolen from the original owner in 2007, claimed for insurance, and then recovered.

Currently registered in Canada. Was previously registered in the USA (after salvage), and is on the registered vehicle import list between USA and Canada. Yes you can importit back to the USA.

It has passed an insane number of inspections from when we imported it to Canada (to our knowledge there are only 3 currently registered in Canada), has never been in a real accident and is 100% good to go. We've driven it all over Canada, USA, Mexico, Guatemala with zero regulatory issues. We have a video with Bill Swails (founder of ER) telling the story if you want any more confirmation.

Bottom line although technically “salvaged” it is not a wrecked vehicle and is fully registered and good to go.

Possible answers you may be looking for:

The older model age -> this is a huge advantage as it is pre-emissions so no need to be stressed on def fluid or finding ULSD when you travel to Mexico and beyond!
Also, most major engine work is very recent and at less than 250k kms barely broken in - tons of year / kms left on this - we would have no issues doing a world trip in this truck.
Another advantage of the year (and make being Ford) is that maintenance and finding mechanics / shops that can work on the truck for you both in North America and internationally is easy! Part are readily available.

Air suspension (like the new ERs) - no but earthroamer quoted the upgrade to us a few years back at 10k usd.
We found it better to keep the coil and leafs as they're way easier to fix if there's ever a problem while traveling in a difficult spot.

MPT 81 tires - no they won't fit unless you upgrade the suspension. But you probably don't actually want them. Many other earthroamer owners we've met have all said the same thing - the mpt 81 tires are a hassle to balance, often wear funny, and the limited top speed sucks.
We have no problem cruising at 120km/hr with the current set up. MPT 81s max out at 100km/hr.

We have only ever been stuck once and that was in extreme sand where the other tires would have made no difference. Obviously with the winch and sand board we got out no problem :)

More photos including interior - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AmUlMGxiHmG-cBlxIqgSKytittQwOvu9?usp=sharing

taylor3633

Observer
I'm still running the Alcoa wheels which I have simply rattle canned black (chinsey I know but It looks far better and there was no way I was gonna pull them and block the roamer to have them powder coated). For tires I am running the Goodyear G622 which do well on the highway but got DESTROYED on the White Rim.

As a side note to anyone considering this Roamer, I really couldn't love mine more. The fact that Josh and his family lived in it likely led to some standard wear and tear but it probably also means that everything is up to snuff in regards to function. When I bought mine it was clear that it had sat for quite some time and I had to go through and replace quite a few things (air heater, hydronic heater, toilet (elective), water filtration, refrigerator, air compressor etc...)

In regards to the 6.0, we can go round and round until we are all blue in the face with diesel engine discussion. My experience so far has been that my bulletproofed 6.0 hasn't given me an issue (knock on wood). I dropped a CONSIDERABLE sum getting the engine up to snuff and so far so good. It sounds like that work has already been done on this one.

Bump for a well priced ER!

Maybe I missed it in a video, but did this ER have a failed headgasket, or was the full bulletproofing done preventatively? FWIW, without getting into too much debate about 6.0L PSD(Powerstroke) vs 6.4L vs 6.7L, depending on the diesel truck shop you talk with, a fully bulletproofed 6.0L is the preferred PSD for reliability (after a 7.3L). Definitely stay away from the 6.4L as the diesel shops can't help make them ultra reliable, and only '15+ 6.7L once upgraded are as reliable as the bulletproofed 6.0L or 7.3L; of course a '15+ ER will be easily double the price of #28 here.

Agreed with Taylor on air susp, especially for the front. I could perhaps see auxiliary rear airbags in addition to the King shocks all around, but you wouldn't necessarily need a Kelderman kit; look at Hellwig for a kit, Firestone bags, etc.
Agreed on Buckstop(they have at least one new option for aluminum super single) or 1st Attack for steel super singles. Very sad to see a US military contractor like Hutchinson still not able to make high quality double beadlock wheels(Mercedes G-Wagen units like I had were not hubcentric to the truck and caused all sorts of shimmy issues at highway speeds). Look at the Goodyear G275 MSA vs the Continental MPT81.

PS--Taylor, curious what wheels/tires ER is moving to now. Hope you're still having fun with yours!

Zlasterhazzard

Awesome truck and seems like a solid deal, Was curious how bad the rust on the frame is looked pretty rusty in the walk around exterior video. Also could your added storage above the bunk for baby gear be removed with not many holes damage left in the wall? Also as I am early in my ER hunt could you explain why one might purchase you ER versus this one which seems to have had the air suspension upgrade done (which I know you state is not ideal) https://www.rvt.com/Earthroamer-Xpedition-VTLT-550-Crew-Cab-2007-Wilbraham-MA-ID10566148-UX387716

TIA

Josh Biro

Awesome truck and seems like a solid deal, Was curious how bad the rust on the frame is looked pretty rusty in the walk around exterior video. Also could your added storage above the bunk for baby gear be removed with not many holes damage left in the wall? Also as I am early in my ER hunt could you explain why one might purchase you ER versus this one which seems to have had the air suspension upgrade done (which I know you state is not ideal) https://www.rvt.com/Earthroamer-Xpedition-VTLT-550-Crew-Cab-2007-Wilbraham-MA-ID10566148-UX387716

TIA

TIA

Hi and thanks for your questions.

Rust - we had the truck oiled in Mexico and then use a rust stop spray and rust painted everything when back in Can. There is some rust obviously as with any vehicle this age but definitively there is no rust issue.

Yes the baby storage bins can be removed without any major cosmetic issue.

The other roamer you posted may be a great deal for the right person. The difference is always in the details. The other one has clearly been sitting, has non ER parts (eg. bilstein shocks), and all maintenance they posted is from 2014. Also the tires are likely done. This is not to say it's a bad truck by any means I would just anticipate immediate major maintenance needed.
I'm confident in ours and would wholeheartedly take our family on a long term/distance trip in it at the drop of a hat. It's ready to go ;)
Hope this helps.
Feel free to DM me for my number if you'd like to speak directly about it.

rawtoxic

I wish I wasn't so heavy in real estate right now! Our Tiger is great but really if you want to full time something like this ER is the ticket.

rawtoxic

I can't believe this didn't sell yet! Maybe because it's location. Josh maybe you should offer shipping option to US to unload it easier ?

What do some of the forum members think about this tire size and wheel size setup on the Earthroamer, I've really been wondering what those of you 'in the know' think about that.

Josh Biro

I can't believe this didn't sell yet! Maybe because it's location. Josh maybe you should offer shipping option to US to unload it easier ?

What do some of the forum members think about this tire size and wheel size setup on the Earthroamer, I've really been wondering what those of you 'in the know' think about that.

I'm happy to take it to the boarder but I think it will have to be picked up at the boarder to do the import paper work.

On tire size, we love the set up we have. Wide stance, tons of traction, heavy duty so flats are no where near the same concern. And because we don't have the mpt81s balancing and alignment are WAY easier. And highway speed is awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles