TetonX Hybrid

Zaoverandunder

Has anyone had an issue with the "canvas" leaking? Looking seriously at this camper. Thanks.
We went with 5 windows in the pop-top, understanding that there's more likelihood for water intrusion this way. We've been out in wet weather and did have some leaking once in a driving rain. It was manageable though, and considering the wind and downpour not unexpected. If it's a real concern, I suggest going with fewer windows. Other times in the rain, no issues. We are very happy with the trailer, picked it up in May.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Zaoverandunder

With the east/west queen and the bed not put up, is there room for two to sit inside on the bench/es?

Putting my comments separately, perhaps able to be seen and addressed.
1. Bed in "couch" mode 2. Bed down.

The bed uses the table as a platform, there's room to sit on the driver's side certainly when the bed is deployed. I'm not 100% sure where you are trying to sit, but in Couch mode you can sit around the table easily.
ba09d74d7a59da62b5355b38ad905a7c.jpg
fe9c14937cb7701822916c91eccc0ac9.jpg

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
We are still waiting for our trailer. We had expected this trailer back in January of this year initially. At this point, I'd be surprised if we have it by September....

Zaoverandunder

We are still waiting for our trailer. We had expected this trailer back in January of this year initially. At this point, I'd be surprised if we have it by September....
Absolutely it took longer for us to receive ours. We did decide to wait for the Comp. Quoted initially a year but took about 18 months.

They are moving into their new facility soon and are working on ramping up production. I know they are doing what they can to get the trailers out. My husband owns a manufacturing company and I really get the supply chain/help/etc issues that companies have had to deal with.

It's worth the wait!

goodol

We have a Dometic furnace and set it as low as possible. It keeps the interior about 45-50F at that setting. It also circulates the warm return air across the water tank to keep it from freezing. We’ve been it temps as low as 15F with no issues.
No winterization needed for below freezing nights?

serpnt

No winterization needed for below freezing nights?
There is some precautions that need to be taken, like making sure the water heater (Truma aqua go) is set to recirculate warm water to the uninsulated kitchen slide out compartment, and that the outside shower is drained from the faucet to the shower sprayer. We’ve been as cold as 15F for an overnight low, but haven’t had it out in sustained freezing temps.

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
We received our Teton a few weeks ago and have been very happy so far! We've done a couple of local trips and spent 5 days at the Grand Canyon last weekend. I'm going out for the first "off road" trip this weekend to see how it handles in the dirt. So far, we have really loved the trailer and all the luxuries that come with it. My only issue isn't with the trailer, but the truck. The tiny Tacoma motor really struggles on the longer, steeper inclines and highways. I'm sure the combination of gearing and tires doesn't help, but it's something I'll be looking to address next year for sure. At slower speeds and flatter terrain, it hasn't been bad. My wife has posted pics on our IG: WanderingTuesday and I'll post some here if I ever get around to shrinking the image file sizes ?.

I'm planning a 2,000 mile dirt trip for 17 days in October, so that'll be the real test. I'm going to drive the AZBDR and UTBDR back to back with a buddy. He will be in his 4R and I will be solo in the truck and trailer.

My wife is focused on the decor and I am learning how to navigate terrain with a trailer in tow. We've got a few settings we are optimizing in the battery system, but so far no major issues. The really long wait sucked and we missed a summer worth of travel, but we are not at all disappointed in the actual trailer and Lindsay and Kyle at TetonX have been really awesome about everything.

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
We went with 5 windows in the pop-top, understanding that there's more likelihood for water intrusion this way. We've been out in wet weather and did have some leaking once in a driving rain. It was manageable though, and considering the wind and downpour not unexpected. If it's a real concern, I suggest going with fewer windows. Other times in the rain, no issues. We are very happy with the trailer, picked it up in May.

We also had leaking at the fabric windows. I did expect it and when the downpour came, I waited to see what would happen. The windows leak at the bottom seams where the fabric attaches and that's just the nature of the design. Since we live in the desert and rain isn't common, we prefer the windows to get the light and air flow. After that incident, I learned to close the top down when the downpours hit. In lighter rain, I haven't had any issues with leaking just as @Zaoverandunder has said. I we were still in the PNW, I would skip the windows or just get a couple at most.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

We received our Teton a few weeks ago and have been very happy so far! We've done a couple of local trips and spent 5 days at the Grand Canyon last weekend. I'm going out for the first "off road" trip this weekend to see how it handles in the dirt. So far, we have really loved the trailer and all the luxuries that come with it. My only issue isn't with the trailer, but the truck. The tiny Tacoma motor really struggles on the longer, steeper inclines and highways. I'm sure the combination of gearing and tires doesn't help, but it's something I'll be looking to address next year for sure. At slower speeds and flatter terrain, it hasn't been bad. My wife has posted pics on our IG: WanderingTuesday and I'll post some here if I ever get around to shrinking the image file sizes ?.

I'm planning a 2,000 mile dirt trip for 17 days in October, so that'll be the real test. I'm going to drive the AZBDR and UTBDR back to back with a buddy. He will be in his 4R and I will be solo in the truck and trailer.

My wife is focused on the decor and I am learning how to navigate terrain with a trailer in tow. We've got a few settings we are optimizing in the battery system, but so far no major issues. The really long wait sucked and we missed a summer worth of travel, but we are not at all disappointed in the actual trailer and Lindsay and Kyle at TetonX have been really awesome about everything.

Congrats! Just out of curiosity does your Tacoma have the 5,000 lb towing capacity or the 7 000 lb? What does your teton x weigh all loaded up to go off grid?

DirtElk

We also had leaking at the fabric windows. I did expect it and when the downpour came, I waited to see what would happen. The windows leak at the bottom seams where the fabric attaches and that's just the nature of the design. Since we live in the desert and rain isn't common, we prefer the windows to get the light and air flow. After that incident, I learned to close the top down when the downpours hit. In lighter rain, I haven't had any issues with leaking just as @Zaoverandunder has said. I we were still in the PNW, I would skip the windows or just get a couple at most.

Would you mind posting some pictures of the window construction and where it leaks?

When you see leaking in a downpour, is it coming through seams/stitching?
Is it dripping straight down or is it running off in a particular direction?
Is it water building up until drips form or were you seeing a more consistent intrusion of water?

Sure seems like this is something that could/should be remedied. This is one area of concern I have, especially being in the PNW. I travel throughout much drier states as well, so I can't see giving up windows for light/airflow if there is a potential to remedy a design issue. I had some ideas in mind already but some pictures would help since it will be a while before I can get down to Teton's shop again.

Would you mind posting some pictures of the window construction and where it leaks?

When you see leaking in a downpour, is it coming through seams/stitching?
Is it dripping straight down or is it running off in a particular direction?
Is it water building up until drips form or were you seeing a more consistent intrusion of water?

Sure seems like this is something that could/should be remedied. This is one area of concern I have, especially being in the PNW. I travel throughout much drier states as well, so I can't see giving up windows for light/airflow if there is a potential to remedy a design issue. I had some ideas in mind already but some pictures would help since it will be a while before I can get down to Teton's shop again.

I have noticed several other pop ups with canvas have these issues and none of them seem to remny it. I had a pop up Quick Silver tent trailer for 12 years and it never leaked. Maybe it's do to the canvas attaching to the hard shell roof or side walls as opposed to a full roof and side wall being stitched together like my tent trailer.

DirtElk

I have noticed several other pop ups with canvas have these issues and none of them seem to remny it. I had a pop up Quick Silver tent trailer for 12 years and it never leaked. Maybe it's do to the canvas attaching to the hard shell roof or side walls as opposed to a full roof and side wall being stitched together like my tent trailer.

That's why I am wondering about the details of the leaks seen here. Being vinyl sides, not canvas, without a leak issue until you cut windows into the top. I'm guessing it is the mating point of the two materials (window + top) where drips are occurring with it being either the attachment method or the material used for the window allowing seepage.

That's why I am wondering about the details of the leaks seen here. Being vinyl sides, not canvas, without a leak issue until you cut windows into the top. I'm guessing it is the mating point of the two materials (window + top) where drips are occurring with it being either the attachment method or the material used for the window allowing seepage.

Maybe that's the difference sewing vynal as opposed to canvas.

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
I'll post some pics at some point, this forum requires me to resize images from my phone and I'm lazy. The windows are sewn from the bottom and velcro up the sides and top. When you stitch through fabric and do not seam-seal, there is a chance of moisture to come through the thread holes. In this case, the issue is actually where they stitch the windows then fold them to go up. Water runs down the windows and collects in the fold at the bottom. Then, it will eventually run down the fold and drip into the interior at the corner. Pretty basic issue, difficult to get past. Again, this is only in a downpour that it happens. I will try applying some seam sealant into those corners and see if I can remedy the issue. Designing and building hiking/traveling/camping gear is my job so I'm sure I can work it out. But for the average person, it could be an issue in a very wet location with heavy rains.

Yes, it is where the windows attach to the fabric walls at the bottom.

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
Congrats! Just out of curiosity does your Tacoma have the 5,000 lb towing capacity or the 7 000 lb? What does your teton x weigh all loaded up to go off grid?

My Taco was quoted at 6500 for a tow rating. But, none of that really matters when you have heavy armor, big tires and a regear. I wanted to be cautious given how weak the engine is even without towing. My trailer was listed at around 3400 lbs when we picked it up. We add the 30 gallons of water, some food, personal items and a little bit of furniture. I plan to go down and weight everything here soon because the truck has changed quite a bit as well since the last time it was weighed. The trailer isn't much heavier than some of the basic teardrops my friends have and the layout is infinitely better IMHO. She is taller and wider though, so it'll be interesting to see how I do on tighter trails!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles