F150 - 2.7L vs 3.5L vs 5.0L

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Our 2021 is the same. Crossed into the US a while ago and the digital display changed to Miles automatically.
Got an email from our dealer yesterday asking if we like to sell the truck. They would offer us more than what we paid…. Crazy!
Oh wow! Crazy it did it automatically. Guessing the Nav is programmed to change the speedo calibration.

That is nuts. Thinking about selling?
I don't think I would. I waited 5 months for this one to get built and now the prices have gone up.
It would cost me $7,000 more to order the same truck now as I did in January!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Oh wow! Crazy it did it automatically. Guessing the Nav is programmed to change the speedo calibration.

That is nuts. Thinking about selling?
I don't think I would. I waited 5 months for this one to get built and now the prices have gone up.
It would cost me $7,000 more to order the same truck now as I did in January!

No way we are selling. I actually just ordered a flat bed and will install a bigger camper.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm not talking about the digital display, I'm talking about the analog dashboard.

My XLT doesn't have the all-electronic dashboard, it has mechanical tach and speedo, with the digital multi-function-display in between. The temperature gauges along the top of the dash are also mechanical rather than digital.

That's why I'm wondering if the auction house that bought the truck actually put in a different physical backing on the speedo, because the MPH are on the outside and KPH on the inside, as I would expect them to be on a US-spec truck. I would assume the Canadian spec trucks would be the opposite, with KPH on the outside and MPH on the inside.

dashboard.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm not talking about the digital display, I'm talking about the analog dashboard.

My XLT doesn't have the all-electronic dashboard, it has mechanical tach and speedo, with the digital multi-function-display in between. The temperature gauges along the top of the dash are also mechanical rather than digital.

That's why I'm wondering if the auction house that bought the truck actually put in a different physical backing on the speedo, because the MPH are on the outside and KPH on the inside, as I would expect them to be on a US-spec truck. I would assume the Canadian spec trucks would be the opposite, with KPH on the outside and MPH on the inside.

View attachment 742420
The pic I posted was of my XLT. They changed the cluster in 2021.

But, I just looked up a dash shot of my 2015 and yes, the km/h are on the outside.

So, I'd guess your dealer changed the cluster. I believe we did the same back when the dealer I worked for brought up cars from the US.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Can't believe it took me 3 years to figure this out but on a recent trip over 10,000'+ La Manga and Cumbres passes in Southern Colorado, pulling our R-Pod trailer, I tried using the transmission (10 speed) in manual shift mode and it made a huge difference in both how responsive the truck was and in keeping the transmission temps down. I'll definitely remember to do this next time I'm pulling over a high pass.

Since my truck has the column shifter I have to manually shift with the little up and down arrows on the column shift lever, which felt weird at first but I quickly got used to it. Best thing was how cool it kept the transmission - never got over 210.

NoTraxx

Can't believe it took me 3 years to figure this out but on a recent trip over 10,000'+ La Manga and Cumbres passes in Southern Colorado, pulling our R-Pod trailer, I tried using the transmission (10 speed) in manual shift mode and it made a huge difference in both how responsive the truck was and in keeping the transmission temps down. I'll definitely remember to do this next time I'm pulling over a high pass.

Since my truck has the column shifter I have to manually shift with the little up and down arrows on the column shift lever, which felt weird at first but I quickly got used to it. Best thing was how cool it kept the transmission - never got over 210.

Thanks Martin, great idea.
Did you have a RPM range in mind? How did it effect the fuel milage? Fuel costs have made me re think a few of my longer trips.

rruff

Explorer
I tried using the transmission (10 speed) in manual shift mode and it made a huge difference in both how responsive the truck was and in keeping the transmission temps down.

Does that mode set the high gear and still shift to lower ones automatically, or does it stay in the gear you select?

Have you tried using tow/haul mode or the Ford equivalent?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Does that mode set the high gear and still shift to lower ones automatically, or does it stay in the gear you select?

Have you tried using tow/haul mode or the Ford equivalent?

Manual mode still allows shifting down to a lower gear but keeps it from shifting up to a higher gear.

And I do keep it in tow/haul whenever I have the trailer hooked up. That's especially useful when descending on a long grade because it will automatically downshift to keep my speed down.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Thanks Martin, great idea.
Did you have a RPM range in mind? How did it effect the fuel milage? Fuel costs have made me re think a few of my longer trips.

When climbing a steep section I think I was keeping the RPMs between 3500 - 4500. The truck seemed to pull better and not struggle at the higher RPMs.

As far as MPG I only put the truck in manual mode when I'm climbing a steep grade, as soon as I get to the top I usually put it back in D. So I'm not sure it does much for MPG but it probably helps a bit.

Having said that, for the past 3 years it's been pretty consistent, when using 91 octane (which is premium here in CO) I typically get 9.5 to 11 when pulling the trailer. It really just depends on how many passes I go over, more passes = worse MPG.

What's funny is that the absolute WORST MPG I ever got was in flat Kansas! Last year driving to a camping trip in Medicine Lodge with hideous crosswinds I got 6.5 to 7 MPG. Although part of that was also me trying to 'cheap out' buy running 87 octane regular once we got to lower altitudes. After two tanks at sub-8 MPG I switched to premium and my MPG jumped to about 9.5.

We've got a trip coming up to New Mexico in a few weeks that's going to be a lot of flat land driving and only a few passes (Monument Hill and Raton Pass) so it will be interesting to see how it does in flatter ground. Of course, flatter ground often means hellacious wind, at least most of the times I've been across flat lands it's been windy which absolutely kills my MPG unless it's a tailwind (rare.)

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
The 5.0L felt strong for sure, but I still feel the 3.5L was so much more powerful down low

I have yet to drive a 2.7L
It sounds like the 2.7 makes good power. Too bad they are on the light duty frame. The average 2.7 truck barely does better than my Rangers 7500 towing and 1500 payload.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
It sounds like the 2.7 makes good power. Too bad they are on the light duty frame. The average 2.7 truck barely does better than my Rangers 7500 towing and 1500 payload.
The 2.7 HDPP most definitely is not barely better than the Ranger. The F150 hdpp is basically a soft F250.

Attachments

• D6AD3755-4018-473A-BDBB-E13FC2F79943.jpeg
    D6AD3755-4018-473A-BDBB-E13FC2F79943.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 18

rruff

Explorer
And I do keep it in tow/haul whenever I have the trailer hooked up. That's especially useful when descending on a long grade because it will automatically downshift to keep my speed down.

But it doesn't hold lower gears when climbing? That surprises me. I especially like manual mode when descending, since I can select a lower gear than what is automatically selected.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

The 2.7 HDPP most definitely is not barely better than the Ranger. The F150 hdpp is basically a soft F250.
@buddha did specify average 2.7 truck. Not the 2.7 w/ payload pkg which would make a difference.

For those that don't know, the 2.7 w/ payload package and an HDPP (which is like a light duty F250) are two very different trucks.

HDPP is only available with the 3.5 or 5.0 & a 6.5' or a 8' box are required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz