Bub’bye to the 2 WD Ford Super Duty Trucks

ThundahBeagle

I had a 2wd F350 work truck that got the same 12 mpgs as my 4wd F250. Both trucks had a 6.2 with a 6 speed. All the gas 3/4 ton and up trucks are thirsty. The diesel is a $12k upcharge so I doubt diesel buyers are going to squawk over "having" to spend a little bit more on 4wd.

If Ford was selling a bunch of high trimmed 2wd SD they would keep making them.

My grandpa had a farm in Kansas. He always had 2wd trucks. Every farmer in that same area now has 4wd trucks. 2wd just aren't that popular anymore.

Back in the early 1980's in the Adirondacks, we hauled the bulk of our firewood in a 2wd '78 Ford single cab, 8 ft bed (nice metallic deep forest green). I want to say it was a Ranger back when they were a full sized truck. I couldn't stand that it was 2wd, but the farmer up the road had a Chevy he used in the fields when picking corn. I think that was 2wd as well but I'm not sure.

I think 4wd started coming more into play when people wanted to branch out on their own and make some side money plowing snow, instead of using a 10-wheeler AutoCar or IH. Maybe that's when it started. 70's or 80's and picked up steam in the 90's when people like me, who resented our father's 2wd trucks ever getting stuck went out and bought 4x4's for x much more versatility and capabilities. And... that much less towing and that much more maintenance costs

Only to find out 4x4 is helpful, but 4x2 gets you 90% of the way, and some good judgement gets you farther.

Yet, I still would not want to buy a truck without 4x4, at least, not for me

dbhost

Back in the early 1980's in the Adirondacks, we hauled the bulk of our firewood in a 2wd '78 Ford single cab, 8 ft bed (nice metallic deep forest green). I want to say it was a Ranger back when they were a full sized truck. I couldn't stand that it was 2wd, but the farmer up the road had a Chevy he used in the fields when picking corn. I think that was 2wd as well but I'm not sure.

I think 4wd started coming more into play when people wanted to branch out on their own and make some side money plowing snow, instead of using a 10-wheeler AutoCar or IH. Maybe that's when it started. 70's or 80's and picked up steam in the 90's when people like me, who resented our father's 2wd trucks ever getting stuck went out and bought 4x4's for x much more versatility and capabilities. And... that much less towing and that much more maintenance costs

Only to find out 4x4 is helpful, but 4x2 gets you 90% of the way, and some good judgement gets you farther.

Yet, I still would not want to buy a truck without 4x4, at least, not for me

In my 20s I had a VW Westfalia camper van, the old split window hippie van. I wheeled the living snot out of that thing in the Sonoran desert and Rincon mountains with that little bus fitted with BFG ATs in whatever size fit a VW... A long tow strap and a come a long... I probably put that thing in places I would worry about taking my 4x4 full size pickup to...

montypower

Adventure Time!
The really sad thing is the overall market movement towards technology... all these fancy gadgets age poorly and cost a bundle after warranty to repair. Self-steering, stopping, more screens than the stock exchange, powered everything (even things you didn't know could be) and on it goes.

Why does the SD need to complete with Tesla for largest screen? What happened to analog gauges?

Essentially trucks will be disposable as technology expires. Sadly driving a 20 or 30 year old truck will be a thing of the past. I'm thankful to have bought our 2020 SD and doubtful there will be another better truck produced. This is a work truck not luxury vehicle!!! And it's not a Tesla.

Here's a suggestion (FORD listen up):
We don't need 14 cameras.
We do need a bigger fuel tank. Range is essential especially if hauling/towing.

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

The really sad thing is the overall market movement towards technology... all these fancy gadgets age poorly and cost a bundle after warranty to repair. Self-steering, stopping, more screens than the stock exchange, powered everything (even things you didn't know could be) and on it goes.

Why does the SD need to complete with Tesla for largest screen? What happened to analog gauges?

Essentially trucks will be disposable as technology expires. Sadly driving a 20 or 30 year old truck will be a thing of the past. I'm thankful to have bought our 2020 SD and doubtful there will be another better truck produced. This is a work truck not luxury vehicle!!! And it's not a Tesla.

Very true. Vehicles are manufactured to higher standards now and easily last 10 years. Often 15 or more. At 50 and 70 grand for a new truck, the average car loan, creeping towards 7 years. What's the warranty for your Dell laptop out of the box? 3 years. So a lot of your vehicle's technology is going to start failing right after the standard GM warranty, while many will still have 4 years of payments on the books yet.

And the more complex, the easier to confound. Especially in something meant for adventure or off-roading, where you want simple things that have wide tolerances that work well.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Of the 6 pickup trucks I've owned since 1985, 3 of them were 2wd. The thing I always liked about my 2wd trucks is that they were stone-axe simple. Engine ---> Transmission ----> Rear axle. That's it. no transfer case, no CV joints on the front wheels, etc. My trucks were all manual transmission and my first 2wd truck - a 1984 Mazda B2000 that I nicknamed "the Silver Slug" - didn't even have power steering.

There really wasn't a lot that COULD go wrong with them and I never had any serious problems with any of them. They were basic, but they worked.

Given how complex vehicles are nowadays with variable valve timing, electronically controlled automatic transmissions and multiple computers, I guess adding in the 4wd stuff doesn't necessarily make the truck any more complicated or failure-prone than it already is.

As others have pointed out, this is probably a sound business decision by Ford. Presumably their number-crunchers told them how much $$ they'd save if they no longer sold 4x2 SD trucks in higher level trim (I'm assuming most fleet sales will be base-model XL trim trucks.)

tacollie

Glamper
You can still get a F-150 with the HDPP and Max tow in 2wd. That'll cover a lot of the bases for people wanting a 2wd truck. That truck will also cost more than a XL 4wd SD.

For 2022 four-wheel drive was a $2,700 option on the SD verus $5000 for an F150.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

They still make base model HD trucks for those that want them. (GM, Fords and Ram)
Far as I know, 360 cameras and larger dash screens are optional. Even on XLT's.

Grasslakeron

Explorer
I have owned several 4 wheel drive trucks since 1978. I used 4 wheel drive maybe once a season, maybe. I go off-road but good driving is the key. 2 wheel is great as long as you have limited slip or a locker.

montypower

Adventure Time!
They still make base model HD trucks for those that want them. (GM, Fords and Ram)
Far as I know, 360 cameras and larger dash screens are optional. Even on XLT's.

That's what we have... yet base trucks have loads of technology! Heck our XL can be started via the phone. Not an option all the trucks have it.

Radar and self stopping becoming standard in many vehicles. As well as self steering. Lane assist or whatever they call it. No thanks. All these aids are not making the roads safer... they are making drivers worse and lazy. Same thing that ABS brakes did in the 90s. Decreased stopping distance so drivers drove more aggressive and less stopping distance.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
That's what we have... yet base trucks have loads of technology! Heck our XL can be started via the phone. Not an option all the trucks have it.

Radar and self stopping becoming standard in many vehicles. As well as self steering. Lane assist or whatever they call it. No thanks. All these aids are not making the roads safer... they are making drivers worse and lazy. Same thing that ABS brakes did in the 90s. Decreased stopping distance so drivers drove more aggressive and less stopping distance.
I love the self steering in my wifes Bronco Sport. I wish I had selected that option in my truck now that I've tried it.
Really only works on freeways / hiways which is what my daily commute is. It won't work in downtown traffic etc.

No self stopping, adaptive cruise control or evasive steering in my truck either. Wish I had tried it before I poo pooed it thinking it was dumb option and left it off my order.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure people used to say the same thing about safety glass, seat belts and crumple zones.

Starting your truck from your phone is an option in the sense that if you don't choose to download FordPass to your phone you won't have the option to remote start it. But, why wouldn't you. It's a pretty handy feature, isn't it?

I traded in my 2015 XLT with 135,000 miles on it. You know, the only issue that I had on that truck? Water pump blew on the 5.0L. A mechanical piece. Never one issue with a 'tech item'. Not saying it doesn't happen. It just was not my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online