2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

StenchRV

Oh Man

I had zero intentions of selling this thing, as i freaking love it, but in the last couple months, i've gotten some pretty crazy offers, at least one i am sure was serious.

I know its hard to get a straight answer here, but out of curiousity, what would yall ballpark the value of this thing right now?

OH NO....you went there :) !

Well I can tell you what it would cost to build something really similar and considering the time and effort involved.....I know the figure I told my wife someone would have to offer us was TALL! FINISHED of course :) .. I know :)

New truck (more expensive than mine or yours), habitat, (without new price increase) quality parts (more now), and some help along the way and you are right around $225K finished and that is if YOU build it. The current pricing increased our build cost about 15%. We will be $35K above the original estimate.

I have had MANY people ask why I built my own rig and what it costs. YOU know what it would cost to have someone build what you have now? I think you would be in the $350K range for that....EASY.
We all now what the manufacturers are getting! WOW !

BUT...it is only worth what someone is REALLY willing to pay.....AS YOU KNOW :)

Have a GREAT weekend.....and thanks again for your build thread and videos kind Sir!

CHEERS!!

Alloy

habitat, (without new price increase) quality parts (more now), and some help along the way and you are right around $225K finished and that is if YOU build it. The current pricing increased our build cost about 15%.

Wondier if the pricing includes the 30% import tariff (to protect USA jobs) on fiberglass products.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Wondier if the pricing includes the 30% import tariff (to protect USA jobs) on fiberglass products.

The 30% duty from China applies to EVERYTHING coming from there. Pretty much everything at Walmart, Smart phones, Computers, Washing machines etc. Because margins for those products are very healthy, retailers/manufacturers just "build" them in the price and you never noticed. We calculate all of our camper kits individually , those 30% where of course visible.
But no matter what, we are still much more affordable than our North American competition while still offering a super high end quality product with a proven track record.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
OH NO....you went there :) !

Well I can tell you what it would cost to build something really similar and considering the time and effort involved.....I know the figure I told my wife someone would have to offer us was TALL! FINISHED of course :) .. I know :)

New truck (more expensive than mine or yours), habitat, (without new price increase) quality parts (more now), and some help along the way and you are right around $225K finished and that is if YOU build it. The current pricing increased our build cost about 15%. We will be $35K above the original estimate.

I have had MANY people ask why I built my own rig and what it costs. YOU know what it would cost to have someone build what you have now? I think you would be in the $350K range for that....EASY.
We all now what the manufacturers are getting! WOW !

BUT...it is only worth what someone is REALLY willing to pay.....AS YOU KNOW :)

Have a GREAT weekend.....and thanks again for your build thread and videos kind Sir!

CHEERS!!

Excellent Outlook! Thanks Man!

Yeah, it’s a catch 22. I freaking love it, and am super proud of it on one hand.

On the other hand, now I’m bored! ?

Real world, I don’t even have the time to finish the last 10% right now, so wouldn’t be able to build another soon, but the itch is strong! ?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
What will it cost to not have it anymore?

Well…. When I was about 3/4 of the way done with it, I did a complete 180 career/job change. I don’t have the crazy amount of time off like I used to, so it’s not getting used as half as much as originally planned. Which sucks! It’s ready! I’ve done some fun trips, but nothing major

What is the cost of having skilled friends help with the build, and maybe not be around on the next one?

That’s the crazy thing. 2 of the 4 have repeatedly asked me, ok, what are we building next for your crazy ass.. ?

Not a chance in hell I could in good conscience even consider selling it without discussing with them and coming to a $ agreement. I don’t work like that.

I dunno…. For now, I will use it enjoy the hell out of it while I can!

Anyway, I think the window of big rig ls for sale like this is closed and will be until the economy stabilizes or something…. ??‍♂️

Alloy

The 30% duty from China applies to EVERYTHING coming from there. Pretty much everything at Walmart, Smart phones, Computers, Washing machines etc. Because margins for those products are very healthy, retailers/manufacturers just "build" them in the price and you never noticed. We calculate all of our camper kits individually , those 30% where of course visible.
But no matter what, we are still much more affordable than our North American competition while still offering a super high end quality product with a proven track record.

Where is there USA or Canada?......don't think Canada has a tariff on composites/FRP.

Victorian

Where is there USA or Canada?......don't think Canada has a tariff on composites/FRP.

Only the US has the 30% duty. Going straight to the Gov. . Canada and most other countries charge 6% on Chinese products.

Alloy

Only the US has the 30% duty. Going straight to the Gov. . Canada and most other countries charge 6% on Chinese products.

6% coming into Canada is added. Then going into the USA the 30% is calculated on the 6% + TC (profit) margin. Once in the USA the dealer margin is added.
1.) 50% of the USA consumer cost is margins, tariffs and shipping.
2.) Pricing between Canada and USA doesn't reflect the tariff, margin and shipping.

Traffis are one thing but just from a production + shipping (cost/delay) standpoint it's crazy to be building offshore. Scout (Adventure) Campers are dropping/delaying prodution on the large truck campers to build more Scout Campers.

Victorian

6% coming into Canada is added. Then going into the USA the 30% is calculated on the 6% + TC (profit) margin. Once in the USA the dealer margin is added.
1.) 50% of the USA consumer cost is margins, tariffs and shipping.
2.) Pricing between Canada and USA doesn't reflect the tariff, margin and shipping.

Traffis are one thing but just from a production + shipping (cost/delay) standpoint it's crazy to be building offshore. Scout (Adventure) Campers are dropping/delaying prodution on the large truck campers to build more Scout Campers.

We ship directly to the USA without going through canada first. That would be silly. On occasions we do offer shared container loads that come to our place. Who ever has goods in the container will travel to Victoria to retrieve them.
Our partners in the USA and Canada all have the same base prices. Only difference between them is the service/components they are adding when you place the order. No hidden cost. Before you make any claims about our pricing structure (something I’m not discussing in a public forum) you best look more into the details and not just make assumptions. At the end of the day, we all need to feed our families and make a living.

In any case, month ago, the biggest price point was the ocean freight. That has now come down to pre covid numbers. None of our partners raised prices by more than they needed to cover the increase In ocean freight. At times, the rates went from US$5000 per container to $35,000!!!! Ad that to the tariffs and you can see why businesses have been suffering.

No matter how you see it, our empty shells are still much more affordable than others. I believe the main reason Scout is doing well, it the dealer network and financing options.

Alloy

We ship directly to the USA without going through canada first. That would be silly. On occasions we do offer shared container loads that come to our place. Who ever has goods in the container will travel to Victoria to retrieve them.
Our partners in the USA and Canada all have the same base prices. Only difference between them is the service/components they are adding when you place the order. No hidden cost. Before you make any claims about our pricing structure (something I’m not discussing in a public forum) you best look more into the details and not just make assumptions. At the end of the day, we all need to feed our families and make a living.

In any case, month ago, the biggest price point was the ocean freight. That has now come down to pre covid numbers. None of our partners raised prices by more than they needed to cover the increase In ocean freight. At times, the rates went from US$5000 per container to $35,000!!!! Ad that to the tariffs and you can see why businesses have been suffering.

No matter how you see it, our empty shells are still much more affordable than others. I believe the main reason Scout is doing well, it the dealer network and financing options.

I'm not looking for explanation but from my (Canadian consumer) it's frustating the US/CDN pricing is the same knowing what the trarriffs are.

StenchRV

Well…. When I was about 3/4 of the way done with it, I did a complete 180 career/job change. I don’t have the crazy amount of time off like I used to, so it’s not getting used as half as much as originally planned. Which sucks! It’s ready! I’ve done some fun trips, but nothing major.

Understand completely! LOTS of people I have traveled with over the years have had that happen. Jobs, health (of you or your spouse) kids, LIFE changes. We hope that this build is our last, and we will adventure the crap out of it, but you NEVER know what life has planned for you!
DO DO OCCURS!!

Letting it sit is not good. Not what we built them for :)
Best of luck no matter the path you choose kind Sir!

CHEERS!!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Understand completely! LOTS of people I have traveled with over the years have had that happen. Jobs, health (of you or your spouse) kids, LIFE changes. We hope that this build is our last, and we will adventure the crap out of it, but you NEVER know what life has planned for you!
DO DO OCCURS!!

Letting it sit is not good. Not what we built them for :)
Best of luck no matter the path you choose kind Sir!

CHEERS!!

Thank you sir! For now.. I will use and enjoy it as I slowly tinker…

Excited as hell to get the rear shocks, hopefully before big Death Valley trip coming up

halo777

What an incredible build! I just finished reading through the entire thread, start to finish, over the last 24 hours.

I have a similar project just starting and your thread is filled with so much invaluable info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier