Tribe EX500

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

This whole business of where it's manufactured is very strange. Is the owner lying to the dealer or is the dealer misunderstanding the owner. Based on the basecamp model I would not get to excited about good bones. Like I said at 60k plus I would not throw down. Hope they prove me wrong

DFNDER

I don’t know. At $65K, assuming it has less than stellar power specs and no-name components, there’s no way I’d go there with an import. For that kind of money, I want to be able to talk to the guy that built it and have a lifetime guarantee on the frame. I accept a lot of products from China because I have no choice, and because a company like apple knows what they are doing, but I’ll stick with US made and someone I can call when it comes to trailers.

rehammer81

I suspect you can count on it having similar wall construction to other China mfg options. It will have foam sandwich panels around 1-1.5" thick. Skin will be either aluminum or FRP. Likely has aluminum framing in the walls although they may have gone solid one piece panels on the top section to reduce weight but they will also need a rigid structure so 50/50 there.

I'm assuming it will be "fine" just like other China mfg trailers with its own quirks. I suspect the quality comes down to how much the company wants to eat into their manufacturing cost savings in China by having a greater quality control presence in the factory. Then it comes down to how many no name knockoff components they use. I think you have to understand this and accept it going in if you choose to buy one. It's not necessarily bad. It just is what it is.

I don't even know what is reasonable in the off-road trailer market at this point. Anything genuinely US manufactured is super expensive. That Boreas EOS-12 is $80k+. It's got great build quality and components. So if that's what that costs then where should the China manufacturered trailers fall? Don't get me wrong, I have just as hard of a time as anyone with the prices on all of these trailers.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I think they may be trying to do the opposite of what has happened with the last like 5 trailers that have been released. All manufactures gave us a price of x, and then a month later that price was increased, then increased again. I think my team may have just decided to post high and then we can surprise people if it comes in lower.

So did Tribe just lie to your team when the said thier Base Camp manufacturerd in AZ? How could your team possibly come up with your teaser about the EX500 being US made?

rehammer81

I'm so confused by this trailer. If this was a phone call I'd be suspecting scam all day. LoL!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

EPO

It's definitely a trailer that catches my eye for functionality, etc. but I'm going to see if it will evolve and look at reviews before touching it. Seriously, the bathroom looks like it might be a mold factory. Maybe it's perspective but the tongue really short. Are those the high quality Lion Sport tires that people are raving about these days?

DFNDER

You can see pricing from the Chinese manufacturer at their site and can request a shipping quote. They price them at $30K range plus shipping.
Looks like this was where ROA picked up the tribe or they have the second ex500 in America. Price looks appropriate. I bet they could make/sell these for 30-40k and still turn a decent profit

It's definitely a trailer that catches my eye for functionality, etc. but I'm going to see if it will evolve and look at reviews before touching it. Seriously, the bathroom looks like it might be a mold factory. Maybe it's perspective but the tongue really short. Are those the high quality Lion Sport tires that people are raving about these days?

That box does take up a lot of tounge space. That has to effect turning radius. Rear entry door looks skinny. In video it looks like the tounge dives down in a strange way. Maybe do to that shock absorption aspect that supposed to smooth ride when breaking. Never seen that before

ROA-OFFROAD

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
I'm trying to hold back on my questions until they release the video/specs... if this thing has good bones (insulated well, has a solid frame) and comes in at a low price point I wouldn't mind buying it knowing eventually the suspension, hitch, stove etc would have to be upgraded sort of like the dweller. Hopefully it's not black series level dysfunctional

They sent the first prototype to us so that we could test and tell them weak points and the things we might recommend changing. We spent a few days making a list of the things we would change and some recommendations and sent it back over. These then will be implemented and changed on the next model that is built and shipped.

The heater is a Chinese diesel heater
The inverter- Chinese
battery - Chinese
AC unit is the hb9000

The reality is every component can be changed, but it just increases the cost. Sure, we could go in and turn this into a 100k trailer if we wanted. But based on what I have been reading online people are trying to get the cost down, not up. So right now the plan is to make the changes to make this a solid unit that can do its job well without issues. Then, if people want to upgrade components we can easily do that.

With xplore and pause price was not in the list of considerations for making the trailer the best. We simply wanted to put the best components possible in the trailer with no regard for cost. Each company is trying to make the best possible trailer. Right now with tribe we are trying to create a trailer that you cant really get in the USA ( except for the kimberly Karavn which the last 3 we have sold have been between 125k-133k) a hard wall hybrid camper that can raise and lower allowing people to have a bathroom and shower inside of their trailer that will also fit in your garage at 6'9" whe the top is down. This is awesome and we are very excited about it. But to keep the cost down we did not tell the manufactuer, lets get rid of every component imaginable and replace it with things like cruisemaster, victron, and battleborn etc. We could easily raise the cost, but are aiming to keep the price point lower.

for example explores have 3 of these expion batteries
that is 14k in just batteries alone. Its very easy to raise the cost of the trailer by adding things.

Tribe is a great group of guys dedicated to bring a great trailer to the USA. I believe this trailer will have a great market fit and with the proper group of people who want to deliver a quality unit, we can absolutely do that.

The dysfunction you speak of happens when you have manufacturers that are not willing to listen and make changes. If they do listen and make changes, fix problems that arise, then there is no problem.

I get what your saying but 55k + for the EX500 with said Chinese components seem high to start with. Not sure I would call this a prototype as it seems like the exact same trailer that conquer falcon has been selling for quite a while. I am sure Lion would quote you a better OEM price then the $4,700 msrp 360's

ROA-OFFROAD

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
I get what your saying but 55k + for the EX500 with said Chinese components seem high to start with. Not sure I would call this a prototype as it seems like the exact same trailer that conquer falcon has been selling for quite a while. I am sure Lion would quote you a better OEM price then the $4,700 msrp 360's

This is Tribes trailer and they owns the rights 100% to this trailer. There is only one way people can purchase this trailer in the USA and that is through tribe. The manufacturing plant has been granted permission to sell the unit in other countries/ China so that is why people might see it elsewhere online but this trailer is owned by tribe and will not be available to be purchased in the USA through anyone but them.

They are paying to build the trialers, bringing them to the USA performing R&D, making changes, and doing the process all over again. I believe the price is 100% warranted and a great deal for people in the USA who have been asking for something like for this many years. Right now the only other option in its space is kimberly karavans, which like I said previously have been selling between 125 to 130+k.

I am confident this trailer has an excellent market fit. By the time its released I am confident it will be ready to perform and hold up well in any off road/ off grid environment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne