Wombat Camper

stomperxj

Explorer
Firstly, Awesome Trailer! I have watched some of your videos.

The wall materials will be a 2" sandwich panel with a fibergalss skin and a closed cell core. For our prototype we used the hand layup technique which was very time consuming.

Thanks for the nice comment. I'm doing foam core on mine as well, only 1" thick. I wish you good luck with your endeavor. Looking forward to updates. (y)

Wombat Camper

It has been a busy period for us. We were invited to exhibit the camper at the Roanoke Virginia GoFest in October and then we attended the James River Rooftop Tent Rally organised by Blueridge Overland Gear. We also attended Expo East. So far we have put over 12,000 miles on the camper and spent over 80 nights in her. In 2018 travelled to 22 states, including Texas and Arizona, with a side trip into Canada. It has been a busy year for us. It has not all been plain sailing though. With a prototype there will always be some hiccups. That is why we design, build and test.

Rest assured we have been busy. The 3D computer model is close to completion and we have been in discussion with suppliers. We anticipate starting the production model build shortly.

Cheers, Brad

eternus

Observer
It has been a busy period for us. We were invited to exhibit the camper at the Roanoke Virginia GoFest in October and then we attended the James River Rooftop Tent Rally organised by Blueridge Overland Gear. We also attended Expo East. So far we have put over 12,000 miles on the camper and spent over 80 nights in her. In 2018 travelled to 22 states, including Texas and Arizona, with a side trip into Canada. It has been a busy year for us. It has not all been plain sailing though. With a prototype there will always be some hiccups. That is why we design, build and test.

Rest assured we have been busy. The 3D computer model is close to completion and we have been in discussion with suppliers. We anticipate starting the production model build shortly.

Cheers, Brad

*poke poke*

Is this thing still alive? I was just discovering the rabbit hole of "foamies" and the Wombat is served up by Google. I love the look of this and am curious if you've managed to stay on target or if Covid, time, other interests have made this into your own personal one of a kind trailer?

Wombat Camper

I wanted to provide an update. Yes, we have had some setbacks, and other pressing issues in our lives have taken precedence. We never gave up on the camper or trying to make it happen. It had to take a backseat for a while.

This actually gave us the opportunity to reflect and refine the design. We feel that these improvements make it a stronger design. Some of the changes are a switch to Cruisemaster independent suspension, increased water capacity (45gal fresh and 25gal grey), all waterlines and tanks internal, Tern Overland windows, 400 watts solar, and a lithium battery. The camper is also more compact with increased storage.

We are calling the production model of Wombat Camper the J-Series. If you were following us on Instagram, our old account experienced some nefarious activity and was deleted.

The new Instagram account is @wombatcamper_ . The Facebook account was not affected and stays the same.

We will post more updates.P8220022.JPGP8220013.JPG

Wombat Camper

We have more details on our website. We designed the chassis using Finite Elemental Analysis. We also selected Cruisemaster suspension as we had reached the limits of the suspension on our previous protoype.

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

Wombat Camper

We have been busy. This past weekend we exhibited for the first time at Overland Expo East.

Attachments

• IMG_1108.jpg
    IMG_1108.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 58

Wombat Camper

Here are some interior shots of the camper. Enjoy!

Specs and Features will be updated on the website soon. Walkaround video will come out 28th Jan. Cheers!P1130008.JPGP1130014.JPGP1130030.JPGP1130068.JPGP1130070.JPGP1130076.JPG

rehammer81

Any future plans to move away from so much wood? I certainly understand using carpentry in the early days of the design as I am guessing it would be easier and cheaper to tweak the design as real world use potentially drives design changes. I'm just thinking the market will push towards less wood.

I like the concept of this trailer and the use of space. Is there a price or target price for this trailer?

What kind of power setup? I saw 400W of solar. How much battery? I'm guessing a decent inverter since you are using induction cooktops.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wombat Camper

Any future plans to move away from so much wood? I certainly understand using carpentry in the early days of the design as I am guessing it would be easier and cheaper to tweak the design as real world use potentially drives design changes. I'm just thinking the market will push towards less wood.

I like the concept of this trailer and the use of space. Is there a price or target price for this trailer?

What kind of power setup? I saw 400W of solar. How much battery? I'm guessing a decent inverter since you are using induction cooktops.

Hi! Thanks for your question.

Yes, there is pushback about using wood. In our case we are choosing both worlds. As an Architect I have used wood, plywood and other composites. It is important to understand the technical data of each product from the manufacturer and ascertain whether it is appropriate for the application. In our case the exterior envelope is a full composite construction. We chose a composite because it is lightweight, durable, strong, rot resistant, and excellent thermal properties. For the interior we wanted a softer, warm aesthetic, ie a modern log cabin. All interior plywood is cut on our in-house CNC machine, keyed together and glued creating a strong but flexible joint. The interior plywood is also finished with a high end wood finish called Osmo. It is durable and infinitely repairable.

The price is approx $78K depending on options.

We are using the Redarc Total Vehicle Management System, and since Redarc recently introduced their inverters to the US market we will be switching to them. By using a sole manufacturer this improves the integration of the components in the camper.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Yes, there is pushback about using wood. In our case we are choosing both worlds. As an Architect I have used wood, plywood and other composites. It is important to understand the technical data of each product from the manufacturer and ascertain whether it is appropriate for the application. In our case the exterior envelope is a full composite construction. We chose a composite because it is lightweight, durable, strong, rot resistant, and excellent thermal properties. For the interior we wanted a softer, warm aesthetic, ie a modern log cabin. All interior plywood is cut on our in-house CNC machine, keyed together and glued creating a strong but flexible joint. The interior plywood is also finished with a high end wood finish called Osmo. It is durable and infinitely repairable.

We are using the Redarc Total Vehicle Management System, and since Redarc recently introduced their inverters to the US market we will be switching to them. By using a sole manufacturer this improves the integration of the components in the camper.

I like this build. Very curious on dry weight and gwr. How about an estimate?

rehammer81

Thank you. I know I asked you this in multiple locations and I appreciate your answering in each. I understand your thought process. To some degree it becomes personal preference and there is nothing wrong with that. I wonder what the weight delta between the plywood and aluminum actually is? In some regard I agree and like the flexibility and repairability the wood would gives.

From what I have researched, Redarc is good equipment. What size inverter? How much battery capacity is standard and is there room for more?

Are you using a Truma system for hot water and heat? What A/C are you planning to use?

I believe I saw the Cruisemaster D035 hitch on the frame on Instagram. Can you confirm?

Any estimate on when production might begin?

Thank you for answering my questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles