Roof top A/c and 14" fans

dzzz

The fantastic fan is the most used "better" fan. Customarily, you would buy a less expensive fan, and then upgrade to the fantastic. But skipping the first step is fine. :)
Look at all the fantastic models before choosing. Google the model number. A few vendors seem to sell a model at near cost to drive traffic.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The fantastic fan is the most used "better" fan. Customarily, you would buy a less expensive fan, and then upgrade to the fantastic. But skipping the first step is fine. :)
Look at all the fantastic models before choosing. Google the model number. A few vendors seem to sell a model at near cost to drive traffic.
Times 2 on the Fantastic fan; highly recommended. It uses the same 14x14 inch square hole that your AC unit probably required, so the install should be simple. Try installing the fan with the normal gasket, but if you find it leaks, use Eternabond RV tape to seal around the edges.

Two things about the fan: You may really appreciate the light that comes in through the clear hatch on the fan. When we occasionally switched out the Fantastic fan for the rooftop AC on the Unimog, we missed the light the fan had provided to the middle of the cabin.

Also, it might not seem obvious, but we've had the best luck cooling the Sprinter by opening the rear door windows and setting the Fantastic fan to exhaust out the top. Blowing air in with the fan doesn't seem to get the same effect.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
"Holy high center of gravity Batman!" That AC unit weighed 108 lbs! 4 screews holding the inside control unit. 4 screws bolting to the roof and it lifted right off. The fan droped right in the same hole perfectly. Two wires and some caulk. The van even drives better with out that load on the roof.
Thanks for helping me decide on the fantastic brand. It draws less than 2 amps and will shut off after the rig cools to your set point. If anybody needs a deal on a Coleman mach III ac unit let me know.

serialNSXer

I sold it on Craigslist 7 months ago. It sold in a week but you can find good used ones on Craigslist all the time. FWIW The Fantastic Fan is...Fantastic!
Here is one near you: http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/rvs/1582197530.html
Thanks. I just realized the unit is electric. rats. won't run on my RTW trip where we won't have any electricity to use. does anyone know of an aux a/c unit that runs on battery or diesel or... at night, while we sleep atop a D110 in 40C+ temps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior