Kayak inflatable or hard shell

kerry

Expedition Leader
Two more cents of input.

Once you get to water, canoes are great (both flatwater and ww). Neverthe less, I know many that will no longer drive with a canoe on top or on a trailer. They are long and typically deep. They can really be scary on the rig (and water) in bad winds which seem to follow me wherever I go. My buddy sold his canoe after a bad experience traveling with it on top of his pop-up trailer.

What kind of bad experience did your friend have? I have driven probably 50,000+ miles with a canoe either on my car, truck or trailer and have never had a bad experience of any kind. I've driven thousands of miles with 2 or 3 canoes on top with no problems. The canoe needs to be securely fastened to a rack which is in turn securely fastened to the vehicle but I would not think twice about setting out on a multi-continent trip with a canoe on top of my vehicle.

swanyo

Observer
I've had problems with the wind jerking the canoe around, making for a scary ride. But that canoe was a 17' and it was on a Jeep Liberty so the cross bars are not so far apart. I had it tied front and back but my buddy about jumped out of his seat when a gust of wind twisted the canoe about 8in to the right. Most likely it was my inexperience in mounting, but I do understand. I keep thinking about having some type of rigid mount coming up from the front bumper to provide more support. As it is now the canoe hangs out almost to my front bumper and it still hangs out the back about 2 feet. A longer vehicle would definitely be a plus!

kerry

Expedition Leader
I always have two ropes over the canoe on the racks and two more at each end coming down to the bumper or frame, forming a triangle. On a lot of cars, the geometry results in no ropes stopping forward movement of the canoe so additional ropes need to be added to stop forward movement when hitting the brakes. I typically attach some webbing to the hood hinge bolts and have it come out from under the hood near the windshield so I can stop forward movement.
We once rolled our FJ55 in Wyoming with an Old Town Tripper on top. The racks came off the truck but the canoe was still attached to the racks and tied to the ends of the truck when we came back upright. There was an impression in the dirt where the truck landed squarely upside down on top of the canoe.

off.track

Adventurer
i used to haul my 17.5' canoe on my mustang.. never had a problem. the mustang was maybe 15' long..

why do some find it scary? just because it moves a little? pull over and retighten the straps.. no biggy.

spikemd

Explorer
Innova Helios Inflatable

Check out the Innova Helios 2 Inflatable kayak. I have the previous generation and love it. I have taken it on Lake Michigan, St John in the Caribbean and Green River in Utah. It is stable and you can also use the optional rudder if you feel you need more help keeping her straight. I only used the rudder in the Caribbean as I wanted the extra steering ability in the ocean. It is not huge, but great for two people, one of normal man size and one woman. Two grown men would have a tough time being comfortable. The kayak material is very durable and similar to the PVC whitewater raft material (but not PVC). For the Green River trip, I spent four days kayaking the river with all my gear in the front passenger area. I would be too small for two people and gear.

I love the fact that it is so portable and that I can take it anywhere. 30lbs and fits in a large backpack.

You can find them at REI.com.

Here is a pic of the kayak at St. John in the Caribbean. We just packed it in a duffle with PFTs and paddles. After we were done for the day, we deflated it, packed it up and hitchhiked back to the resort.
honeymoon_kayak_beach.jpg

swanyo

Observer
i used to haul my 17.5' canoe on my mustang.. never had a problem. the mustang was maybe 15' long..

why do some find it scary? just because it moves a little? pull over and retighten the straps.. no biggy.

I've had no problems for 90% of the time, but coming home thru Mojave and whiping 50 mph sidewinds did cause me to pucker a bit with the Canoe jumping from side to side. We made it home but I can understand the attraction to having a inflatable that can fit in the vehicle and not adding to your profile. Maybe I need to learn to tie better knots or get bigger rope? That said, I won't let it stop me from taking the Canoe.

alosix

Expedition Leader
Any thoughts on one of these?

http://www.porta-bote.com/

We've been looking at that setup (I think I can rig a mount for it 'under' the trailer) folds up mostly flat.

Price didn't seem bad, and they make (or maybe just distribute) them just down the street from here.

Jason

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Any thoughts on one of these?

http://www.porta-bote.com/

We've been looking at that setup (I think I can rig a mount for it 'under' the trailer) folds up mostly flat.

So that's what they're called, Porta Botes. I was wondering what I saw when I saw one folded up on someone's roof rack.

It sounds interesting and it seems to have received many notable certifications.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I know one person who out in a port bote. He won't ever get in one again. No personal experience though.

Paddlevan

Observer
Inoa Yes and Yes

Guys i have most every combination of everything.
It comes down to this.. do you want to transport it ON your ride canoe plus racks or IN your ride Innova
The money time and hassle factor saved with the Innovas ..
Currently you can get a 380 or a Sunny, Solar 410,..
The Sunny is the better boat because it can be used solo or tandem
This page gives you a good intro

http://www.theboatpeople.com/iks_touring.html

He really knows his stuff..
But for a smaller vehicle being able to keep the bags IN the rig all the time is a big plus
I have the 380 and the Safari , but the Sunny is probably easier to own until you decide.
plus the sunny is better for snorkeling should you try it ..
The 380 is better for cooler water
The Safari for whitewater..
They are a solid proven product..
They are a quality product and weigh under 35 lbs all up ..

The main accessory is a moving blanket to keep the sun off it between outings..

Last edited:

Paddlevan

Observer
Porta-bote = toomuch hassle for a quick trip

Portabote set up times means that you are staying somewhere from a day to a day and a half..
There are at least 6 to 9 pieces to be handle and stored and the 10' and up are best for a couple..

The only advantage is that it packs down to 6 inches high but .. it is still 8, 10, 12 ft long.

Inflatable kayaks store inside the rig

Last edited:

TexGX

Explorer
I have an Advanced Element tandem. I love it!! It tracks very well. One thing I like about the inflateables is that every surface is soft. This makes it a very comfortable boat to be in for lond trips. I have done a few river trips in the AE and it did great. It stores in a bag the size of a normal suite case and I can easily move it around. You can set it up for one person when you want to go fishing or time away from the wife. It has done everything I have asked it to and more.

http://www.rei.com/product/736947

TexGX

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Inflatables are great, convenient and space savers, but

Like ZODIAC inflatable boats, they recommend you leave them inflated as much as possible, because of "crease manipulation", inflate/deflate over a wide temp chg (read COLD) will cause the vinyl/syn to break seal structure at the creases

I only deflate mine for very long trips and then make sure of SUN exposure before inflation

I have a duck float that I leave inflated all the time and when I haven't got any long trips planned, I leave my boat inflated and I can carry it on top easy

So if you decide to get the inflatable, be aware of the restrictions Vs convenience !!

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior