Aux Fuse Block Install in 05+ Tacoma

barlowrs

Explorer
First off, I want to give credit to tooblutacoma06 and his install thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37333&highlight=blue+sea

I had the fuse block, but his thread gave me inspiration to install it finally. It was done much like his.

Tools and parts needed:
About 13” x 11” 16 gage stainless steel
Metal Brake
Drill
Paint
Cardboard

Blue Sea 12 circuit fuse block (http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/products/5026)
Blue Sea 300 Amp Fuse Block (http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/products/5005)
100A Fuse

Build:

I first made a cardboard template:

IMG_1825.jpg

Then found some scrap 16 gage stainless steel lying around. After some cutting, drilling and bending, I had a mount made up. A quick can of rusolium (I know, its stainless, I don't need it, but I wanted it black, and had some laying around) here she is:

IMG_1827.jpg

Unlike tooblutacoma06, I opted for a cheaper solution to my 100 amp breaker, as I could not justify spending $80 on a breaker that is made to protect the $50 fuse block. Though if I had the money, I would have! Haha.

As you can see in the picture, the bracket houses my Blue Sea 12 circuit fuse block as well as a Blue Sea 100 amp fuse to protect it. I have also added a section to hold up to 8 relays. On the bottom side of the bracket is a 4”x4”x4” junction box that is now the new home to my winch solenoid. (See http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38483 for winch installation and wiring).

IMG_1833.jpg

In order to make room for my winch solenoid box, I had to move the secondary small fuse box attachment thingy from my truck, so I made a cutout that will hold it stationary (tight fit to pin it in place) you can see it pinned against the fender now.

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

And here she is all mounted. This now gives me relay mounting location for lights (once I get my roof rack project going) as well as an aux fuse block for CB, HAM, lights, and anything else my heart desires.

IMG_1929.jpg

Last edited:
Looks awesome man! I thought about relocating the OEM relay block like that but opted not to. That's a great option for mounting the winch solenoid. Props!

BTW, the circuit breaker was only like $40 and plus you're not only protecting the fuse block itself, but everything that attached to it (lots of $)!

barlowrs

Explorer
Looks awesome man! I thought about relocating the OEM relay block like that but opted not to. That's a great option for mounting the winch solenoid. Props!

BTW, the circuit breaker was only like $40 and plus you're not only protecting the fuse block itself, but everything that attached to it (lots of $)!

40 bucks..really:Wow1:? Where at?? When I went to West Marine they quoted me $80 for the 100 amp. Bastards! I figured each individual fuse would protect everything that is attached to it, however if I could get one for $40, I would probably go that route, as they are resettable, and my current one is not.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I only see or feel one issue with this. Anytime you want an internal accessories you must punch through or re breach you sealed firewall grommet (I use use silicone caulk). I eventually tired of doing this and have a smaller block outside and the blue sea inside, that way there aren't massive amounts of wire running back through the firewall grommet. The mount is awesomely sexy as far as mounts go! Good job. I like a clean OE look.

Aaron

barlowrs

Explorer
I only see or feel one issue with this. Anytime you want an internal accessories you must punch through or re breach you sealed firewall grommet (I use use silicone caulk). I eventually tired of doing this and have a smaller block outside and the blue sea inside, that way there aren't massive amounts of wire running back through the firewall grommet. The mount is awesomely sexy as far as mounts go! Good job. I like a clean OE look.

Aaron

This was my only concern as well, however, I already know what I am going to be running and have essentially already ran the wires for this. I have some nice sheilded double wire bundles that I have already ran into the cab for all my roof rack lights (once I build the rack..haha) as well as my CB and HAM. This should keep it good for a while. I figure if I run more things, I can always do it again, or add a second block inside.

Thanks

barlowrs

Explorer
Curious why the Blue Sea block itself needs to be fused? Is there a chance that the block itself is going to short internally?

That is my thoughts. I am very un-electrically skilled though. Me and electronics do not mix, so I wanted to take every precaution I could. When me and electricity get together, if it can shock me or burn me, odds are it will.

The blue sea block has a 100amp max into it, and since it is connected directly to the battery, I thought it would be a good idea to fuse it. I figure the individual fuses will protect all my things if it does short, but just to be safe, as well as protect the block itself, I figured it couldn't hurt.

Again though, I am not electircal at all, so it may have been a complete waste of time and money, I am just paranoid with electricity..haha

That is my thoughts. I am very un-electrically skilled though. Me and electronics do not mix, so I wanted to take every precaution I could. When me and electricity get together, if it can shock me or burn me, odds are it will.

The blue sea block has a 100amp max into it, and since it is connected directly to the battery, I thought it would be a good idea to fuse it. I figure the individual fuses will protect all my things if it does short, but just to be safe, as well as protect the block itself, I figured it couldn't hurt.

Again though, I am not electircal at all, so it may have been a complete waste of time and money, I am just paranoid with electricity..haha

Waytek is where I get all my wiring equipment now. They have killer prices!

And about fusing the fuse block, it if for some reason you have more than 100amps being pulled from it (i.e running multiple things at once) then it can cause major problems. Granted this will likely never be the case, it is always a good idea to fuse any power that comes from the battery. Not to mention, sometimes there might be spikes from the battery, which if they are over 100amps, could damage all your accessories and possible catch things on fire.

Moral of the story, fuse or use a circuit breaker on everything you add!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions

Rbertalotto

Explorer
the circuit breaker was only like $40

Not a big fan of circuit breakers in an automotive environment. I've seen plenty of them fail in the latched position after cycling on and off for a while. Not good.... I've also seen plenty of them cry wolf when used as the main breaker in an installation like this. I'm sure the winch has it's own circuit breakers for overload and overheat protection. Mine does....

A fuse will simply blow if a REAL problem develops. No falseing. If it goes, something is wrong.

Just my opinion........

Excellent installation BTW.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier