I need some MAJOR help!!!!

rctr03

Adventurer
i have an 07 and a 09, neither burn oil. great on the highway, and yes very heavy off road. great for fireroads! my son just sold a xt225, great bike, very lite for offroading. hard to ride on the slab to get to the trail head.
the klr is a great all purpose bike.
jimmy

KG6BWS

Explorer
Ya'll arent helping very much here!!! :sombrero:

I miss riding ALOT!!! Looking at getting another bike. Considering some of the prices Ive been seeing on KLR's, Im just trying to convince myself that I can wait until I can pay cash.

Ive pretty much decided on a KLR because I want RTW type of bike, offroad capable, that doesnt have the price tag of the KTM or BMW. If I had my way, I would be riding around on a 1200GS Adventure or 990 Adventure. I just cant afford those.

The only other bike I would really consider would be a DR650. I used to have a DR and loved that bike. Big, powerful, decent load capacity, relatively comfortable and pretty darned capable, both on and off road. The main reason that Im looking for a KLR now, compared to a DR, is because there is more available in the way of extras (ie. panniers, windshields, etc.).

Dying to get a new bike. Already have planned out how to make panniers out of Pelican cases and how to mount my fly rod case using quick fist clamps. :bike_rider::bike_rider:

Think IM going to be looking for something pre-08 though. As well as used being cheaper, I like the plastics better on the older models. Just dont want to go much older than 2000. IIRC, thats when they started using the 6 gallon tank.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Some things to consider other than looks on the 08 and newer KLR's: Better brakes and the front forks are bigger/stronger, and best of all - the headlights are a HUGE improvement which all adds up to better performance and safety on the slab over the 07 and previous models IMO.

YMMV :bike_rider:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
The only other bike I would really consider would be a DR650.

I was all set to buy a DR650 until I rode the WR250. They have similar performance, but way lighter. Just saying. You should at least try one.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Ive pretty much decided on a KLR because I want RTW type of bike, offroad capable, that doesnt have the price tag of the KTM or BMW.

One of the local KLR riders has said, more than once, that:

"The best farkle for a KLR, is a different bike to ride off road".

YMMV, to each their own, etc.

Just sayin' . . .

:ylsmoke:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
One of the local KLR riders has said, more than once, that:

"The best farkle for a KLR, is a different bike to ride off road".

YMMV, to each their own, etc.

Just sayin' . . .

:ylsmoke:

That's been my impression. Way too big and heavy for off-road. And yet it's not very good on-road compared to any number of other road bikes. So... other than being cheap, what's the attraction?

KG6BWS

Explorer
That's been my impression. Way too big and heavy for off-road. And yet it's not very good on-road compared to any number of other road bikes. So... other than being cheap, what's the attraction?

The fact that theyre decent at both and cheap. Theres no such thing as a do it all bike. I used to have an 06 DR650, loved it. Its really the only other bike Id consider, in my price range. It was not great on road though.

Ive never done any long distance on a KLR so I cant compare other than with what ive heard. Biggest thing seems to be vibration. The KLR, from what Ive heard, doesnt have quite as much vibration as the DR does on road.

I dont entirely mind the weight. Fully outfitted, large tank, tools, luggage...my DR weighed in around 450. I used to muscle it around on single track, minus the luggage. Figure the DR weighs 324 dry (if memory serves) add a 5 gallon tank, a litle more comprehensive tool kit than comes with it, tire repair stuff....it wasnt a light bike.

All that being said...if I found a good price on a newish DR650, Id definately buy it.

I dont want anything smaller than a 650 though simply because (quite honestly) I disbelieve anyone who tells me they can semi-comfortably ride 70 fully loaded....except for maybe downhill. And I dont plan on using it only for local rides. I want a bike that can handle long distance trips with all the gear on it.

scarysharkface

Explorer
I've done ~5500 miles over a two-week stretch on the KLR. It's no Wee-Strom, but no complaints and I would not have enjoyed the Wee riding across Labrador as much as I enjoyed the KLR. I think a DR or XR would have been more fun on the Trans-Lab, but I wouldn't have wanted to ride one all those highway miles to get there and back. The KLR just seems to fit right there in the middle better than anything else we're getting in the USA right now, or so it seems to me at least.

John

KG6BWS

Explorer
I've done ~5500 miles over a two-week stretch on the KLR. It's no Wee-Strom, but no complaints and I would not have enjoyed the Wee riding across Labrador as much as I enjoyed the KLR. I think a DR or XR would have been more fun on the Trans-Lab, but I wouldn't have wanted to ride one all those highway miles to get there and back. The KLR just seems to fit right there in the middle better than anything else we're getting in the USA right now, or so it seems to me at least.

John

That seems to be the general consensus from what Ive heard. Not great at either but ok at both. Thats what Im looking for. I want to be able to do long range trips in semi comfort, do some mild offroading, and not have to sell my first born to be able to afford it.

As much as I want one, the KTM or the BMW are just not in the budget anytime for the foreseeable future.

scarysharkface

Explorer
That seems to be the general consensus from what Ive heard. Not great at either but ok at both. Thats what Im looking for. I want to be able to do long range trips in semi comfort, do some mild offroading, and not have to sell my first born to be able to afford it.

As much as I want one, the KTM or the BMW are just not in the budget anytime for the foreseeable future.

The 640 Adventure is by all accounts better at both than the KLR, and weighs less. That's about the only bike that truly seems to cover that spread though, and I don't know how I feel about maintaining a thoroughbred KTM over a KLR on my nearly-nonexistent budget.

John

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I disbelieve anyone who tells me they can semi-comfortably ride 70 fully loaded....except for maybe downhill.

I used to ride a DR200 on the freeway daily. Pegged, it would go 80 MPH (indicated) on the flat and 60 -- lying down on the tank -- on longer hills so being in the right lane at the right time was essential. It got thrown about a bit but not uncomfortably so. At those speeds though the bike vibrated a lot, especially through the seat and my ******** suffered accordingly.

The main reason I got a KLR650 was I wanted a change and used the "its not fast enough on the freeway" excuse to justify it. I was going to get a DR650 or DL650 which I still would like to try but I wanted something that wasn't a Suzuki just because there are other bikes out there.

Cheers,
Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior