Barlowrs Expedition Tacoma Build

barlowrs

Explorer
What did the stickers cost you?

The bedside stickers? I dont remember, I think like $40 or $60. Go to tacomaworld.com and search for a username "sockmonkey" he makes them for everyone. very good quality and he has MANY styles and colors to chose from

barlowrs

Explorer
Lightforce Install

Specific Thread (Comment Here): http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46083

Time to wire up the lights. As you all know, I always try to make everything look as stock as possible so obviously, using a stock switch was a given. Unfortunately, I have never like the stock Tacoma fog light switch, as it does not illuminate when the lights are on like the FJ auxiliary and off-road switches do. (Not that I need a notification when the lights are on, they are brighter than heck!)

SO, I decided to run a FJ Auxiliary Light switch. I also picked up the harness, though if you do not want to do that, you could solder onto the pins. The harness just makes it easier, and I can unplug it when I need to tear the dash apart. The part numbers are as follows:

FJ Auxiliary Light Switch: PT297-35070-AS
Auxiliary Switch Harness: PT297-35070-SH

The relay and all the rest of the wiring harness came with the light force lights.

First things first, here is the diagram I drew up of how to install them:

SwtichDiagram.jpg

I found an unused wiring harness behind all my switches (my truck doesn't have a lot of options, but it is all pre wired in the harness, so there are several unused harnesses back there. Using a multi meter, I figured out which wire was the constant 12V, which I used for the switch power, and then I figured out which one was 12V when the light switch was on. I used this for illumination power. Because I know I will never use this harness, I simply cut the wires from the original plug and soldered them to my Aux switch harness.

Here is the switch all mounted up:

IMG_2790.jpg

Next up I mounted the relay in one of the relay mounting spots I made on my aux fuse block:

IMG_2811.jpg

All that was left was to route the wires. The lightforce harness gave me MORE than enough wire to get through the firewall and into my switch. Then out the front to the lights.

I used some shielding and heat shrink tubing to protect the wires and wired up a set of weatherpack connectors for some protection.

IMG_2810.jpg

And here they are mounted out front.

IMG_2788-1.jpg

Here is a shot with the switch backlight:

IMG_2843.jpg

Here is a shot of the lights on (see the little green LED indication on the switch as well). Sorry, this is in my structure; I don't have any good outside shots yet.

IMG_2844.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

barlowrs

Explorer
Hey everyone, I got some PMs that my pics werent working...sorry about that, I guess photobucket decided they wanted to start charging me. Anyway everything should be up and running again. Enjoy, and as always if you have questions, let me know.

-Robert

Tim A

Adventurer
Jeeeez this truck is turning out nicely Robert! Love that rear bumper. Do you have any regrets going w/ 255 width tires?

barlowrs

Explorer
Photobucket charges now? Ugh. What a PITA
:pROFSheriffHL:

No normally its free, but apparently I "exceeded my bandwidth" for the free accound...for $2.99/month it is unlimited, so I upgraded for this month. I have a feeling my bandwith will be down again next month so I wont have to pay them...I hope. haha.

barlowrs

Explorer
Jeeeez this truck is turning out nicely Robert! Love that rear bumper. Do you have any regrets going w/ 255 width tires?

Thanks....hmm only regret with the 255s is that they caused me to take 2nd place in the last tacomaworld.com "who has the nicest 2nd gen tacoma" poll...a lot of ppl didnt like the pizza cutters..HAHAHA then again, I am not at all hurt, "FREEZE" is in the same poll (different group) and I know I have no chance of beating his rig..haha :sombrero:

Seriously though, I have had no issues with them...I love them.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
Great build!
One question....

...In order to secure the head unit, I made a bracket out of some 18 gage stainless steel....

IMG_1940.jpg

Why paint the stainless steel black?
no real corrosion issues and the headliner's carpet would hide the shine.

Bar none, this was the best mod of your truck...

And here it is installed on the grill:
I can tell she feels a lot better now, after all she is a TOYOTA TRUCK and proud of it.
IMG_2610.jpg

barlowrs

Explorer
Great build!
One question....

Why paint the stainless steel black?
no real corrosion issues and the headliner's carpet would hide the shine.

Bar none, this was the best mod of your truck...

haha true, the stainless would have been fine as it is, but there is some clearance between the head unit and the liner (a few mm) that I was afriad you would be able to see up....turns out you cant, but I didnt want to take the chance when making it.

and thanks, that is one of my favorites for sure...definatly not cost effective (expensive for a small peice) but I think it was worth it, its subtle but peopel who know what it is appreciate it.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
.... and thanks, that is one of my favorites for sure...definatly not cost effective (expensive for a small peice) but I think it was worth it, its subtle but peopel who know what it is appreciate it.

I can guess how much it cost... and believe in the price (not cost) of that design.
Did you do the design up on soildworks or some other CAD system?
Would you be willing to pm'ing me the dimensions of the logo?
I would like to get it sized for my front grill mod. :)
Then have my shop make one up for me... either EDM or machining.
But make it out of SS... thus bypassing chroming.

Tim A

Adventurer
Thanks....hmm only regret with the 255s is that they caused me to take 2nd place in the last tacomaworld.com "who has the nicest 2nd gen tacoma" poll...a lot of ppl didnt like the pizza cutters..HAHAHA then again, I am not at all hurt, "FREEZE" is in the same poll (different group) and I know I have no chance of beating his rig..haha :sombrero:

Seriously though, I have had no issues with them...I love them.

I wouldn't get too torn up over that TW contest. Alot of the users on there are more into bling mods than functional ones. :coffeedrink: If I'd seen that contest I'd have voted for ya!

I'm currently saving up for the 33x10 KM2s:wings:

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
I wouldn't get too torn up over that TW contest. Alot of the users on there are more into bling mods than functional ones. :coffeedrink: If I'd seen that contest I'd have voted for ya!

I'm currently saving up for the 33x10 KM2s:wings:

Yep, that's precisely why I like Expo over TW. The other truck was nice too, but Barlowrs takes the cake hands down. I don't want to bash TW but... :coffee:

Bawlowrs truck is by far the cleanest, most well built I've ever seen anywhere. :Wow1:

RU55ELL

Explorer
TW is more about bling, not function. I made all of my money for my ARB by selling step bars, CAI, mudflaps and ranch hand brush guard over there. Works for me. :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles