Need ground tent sleep padding solution.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Hey all, my wife and I have killed another Coleman air mattress! We are looking at a replacement method of "padding" our sleep. We are open to ground pads, cots, etc.

We have plenty of room in our tent (it's 10' X 13') an we have room to haul the solution (we have an off-road trailer we use for all our gear). Our only requirement is we like to sleep together (we have a "double" sleeping bag).

Please help! Thanks in advance.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
My wife and I started using two Thermarest Dreamtime pads coupled together.

I bet I've owned over 15 different pads spanning 30 years. I still have my brass-valved T-rest from the early 80s. I even did the review of the NeoAir for the Overland Journal '10 Gear Guide. I guess I like sleeping pads.

The T-Rest Dreamtime is not just comfy, it's a coma in a bag. I've never slept on a pad that comfy. Ever. It sells for a premium to say the least, but I did say I still have a 30 year old Thermarest in the closet. I think the Dreamtime is proof anything more than 3-4 inches of well designed loft is unnecessary, and frankly - cold. These Dreamtime pads are toasty when it's cold. Anyway, I can't recommend them more highly.

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/camp-and-comfort/dreamtime/product

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
We have a self inflating double sleeping pad. Add a nice thick bag on top of that and it is very comfortable.

Cabelas sleeping pads shows the double backorderable. That is not very tempting.
Sierra Trading post shows one and has a price closer to what we paid for ours, but it is sold out. :(

Back country Edge shows the Big Agnes Out of Stock

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Big-Agnes-Hinman-Sleeping-Pad/dp/B001AZ3MHC]Amazon.com does show the Big Agnes Hinman Sleeping Pad[/ame] 52x78x2.5 in stock for $139.95
That may be your best bet?

BTW, we move up to a RTT so it doesn't see nearly as much use these days.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I've never slept on a Dreamtime, but I have slept and own two REI 2.5 pads and they are super comfy. I've used them camping, on cots, on the ground and the floor of a hotel room. Only thing is they do not pack small so if thats a concern, I highly recommend the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pads. Around the same price but pack much smaller.

Strizzo

Explorer
we have REI 3 inch pads that have been comfy camping in all conditions so far, even some cold (for me!) weather camping in silverton where my old bag wasn't up to the temps, but the pad was plenty warm.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I've never slept on a Dreamtime, but I have slept and own two REI 2.5 pads and they are super comfy.
Think of that pad with an additional 1 inch of thickness. Now lay .5" of memory foam on top of it. Then cover that with soft, fleecy goodness. Dreamtime. :)

Errant

Explorer
When in a ground tent, we use Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pads and their double King Solomon bag. Super comfy and packs small enough to use on the motorcycle.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Think of that pad with an additional 1 inch of thickness. Now lay .5" of memory foam on top of it. Then cover that with soft, fleecy goodness. Dreamtime. :)

Then that is most impressive, because the first time I slept on the REI one on a hotel room floor it was one of the most comfortable nights of sleep I'd ever had...in a fairly uncomfortable situation!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Then that is most impressive, because the first time I slept on the REI one on a hotel room floor it was one of the most comfortable nights of sleep I'd ever had...in a fairly uncomfortable situation!
I have the T-rest version of that REI pad you speak of. It really is comfy, you're not kidding. The Dreamtime is luxuriously over the top. However, I conveniently left out the part about it being positively huge when rolled up. I mean huge.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Thanks for all the great info folks!:wings: With the pricing and availability, I'm going to pull the trigger on one of the Big Agnes pads (I might have to splurge of a bit of memory foam later to add to the comfort).

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
If you sleep in temps below 45 degrees, I'd suggest getting the InAir Core pads from BA. Or, if you think you'll get the Sleeping Giant memory foam covers at a later time, just get the standard Air Core pad and save a few bucks.

Or, to muddy the waters even more, if you're looking to fully inflateble pads, don't forget to check out Nemo Equipment's pads. They have a very cool feature - built in pumps.

lamontagne

Adventurer
When i'm backpacking or using the minimalist thing, the BA insulated pad is the bomb. Packs small, comfy enough, and keeps you warm. One of my hiking buddies uses an Exped Downmat and swears by it.
(IMHO it is the same as the BA pad with down instead of Primloft and twice the price!)

When it's a truck camping trip, I go all out and bring a 4in thick futon! Yea it's big and doesn't pack too well. But I gotta you, I sleep better on that than I do at home!

S

Squatchout

I'm getting old and achey. Backpacking sleep stuff doesn't cut it for me anymore unless I have to because of space or weight. For the last couple of years for vehicle camping I've been using an oversized cot a friend gave me. Think aluminum army cot. Topped with an REI 3.5" XL self inflating mattress. It's almost better than my home bed. Super comfortable and insulates well on the ground or on the cot in cold weather. Air mattresses are wretched when the temps drop. You can't make enough body heat to warm them up.

abeaudin1971

Adventurer
x2 on the REI sleeping pads - I have 2 of the 2.5" ones - I have an older model which is R5.6 and with one of the sleeping pads in my bivy bag and me in the down sleeping bag in the bivy bag makes for a comfortable night - even in a snowbank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94