New GXV appears at Overland Expo

haven

Expedition Leader
Photo courtesy of Expeditions West. Looks like an F350 XLT. I hope we can have more details soon.

208131_10150253344348275_640113274_9272830_990631_n.jpg

howell_jd

Adventurer
It looks very much like the Tortuga Expedition Camper on the Turtle V. Weren't the Wescott's going to license the design out at one point for production? Maybe this is a first run? In any case, it definitely looks nice!

Jonathan

Larry - KB0HIB

GXV Turtle - F-550

Here are some more photos of the Turtle taken before it left for Overland Expo. It does have cab-to-cabin access, however the interior is unfinished.

There will be better photos when everybody gets back from Expo. The scenery in the Southwest is much better for photos, at this point, that our "early spring" locations here in the Ozarks.

We'll work on keeping you posted.

Attachments

• Turtle-1a.jpg
    Turtle-1a.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 255
  • Turtle-2a.jpg
    Turtle-2a.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 215
  • Turtle-3a.jpg
    Turtle-3a.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 494

haven

Expedition Leader
It makes sense for the Wescotts to license their Turtle V design, instead of starting construction themselves. The process would take too much time away from their other enterprises. Better for a company like GXV, whose only business is building vehicles, to sweat the details.

howell_jd

Adventurer
I asked about the possibility of this being a licensed Tortuga only because I am curious...I remembered the Wescotts had indicated a "limited number" on their website (http://turtleexpedition.com/vehicles/turtle-v) from years ago and then there were several additional magazines that echoed that thought (http://offroad.automotive.com/74986...67-land-rover-109-ford-f550-diesel/index.html).

I am at Fort Leonard Wood for the US Army's annual Engineer Regiment gathering so I hope to get the opportunity to drive over to GXV and explore!

Fantastic!

Jonathan

OTR

Adventurer
Here are some more photos of the Turtle taken before it left for Overland Expo. It does have cab-to-cabin access, however the interior is unfinished.

There will be better photos when everybody gets back from Expo. The scenery in the Southwest is much better for photos, at this point, that our "early spring" locations here in the Ozarks.

We'll work on keeping you posted.

I like how you have the spare tires mounted on the side. I would add on of these to fill the dead space inside the wheel.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td/144454d1191413478t-anybody-ever-see-mb-spare-tire-tank.jpg

There was mention of it being sold as a Tortuga Expedition Camper on the display in front of the vehicle. Obviously Wescotts had a hand in the design but it is a larger box than on the actual Turtle.

It's a strange mix of things. Hutchisons on stock size tires make no sense and the overhangs and closeness to the ground will severely limit it's ability offroad. Granted that could be rectified with a set of MPT81's and the appropriate suspension but as setup it looked pretty helpless.

The space afforded by the box was nice and the ability to dress it out as you see fit was a nice option.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The price tag wasn't as bad as I expected either. Starting somewhere in the $130's.

It's a whole lot more specialized than I would want - but cool to see options out there.

OverlandRich

Why NCO?

Seems a shame to have a vehicle that height with a rack for cab over instead of a bed that is a lot of wasted space that could be utilized and they didn't save any real height or aerodynamics by doing it. For $130k I'd want that cab over space!

Bob599

Observer
My thoughts exactly. Since you are above the profile of the cab why not do a cab over bed? I bet they have a good reason but to my ignorant eyes it would seem to add a lot of space and not that much weight. Wonder what the cost would be? For 130,000 a cab over would make it much more dare I say practicle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz