Suburban-itis!

joshjan

Long timer viewer of the endless posts on this board, first time with a question! I currently have an 04 Jeep Liberty with OME lift, larger tires, blah, blah,blah. We also have a 16 month old, a golden retriever, and another baby on the way. All good things! Our main car is a 2011 Subie Outback which we really like. It has way more usable space than the Liberty. When we go places we certainly do not pack lightly.

Soooo, I'm eyeing up Suburbans. Specifically 96-99's. Maybe 3/4 tons. What do I need to look for? Anyone have one and wish they didn't? Should I skip this generation and look for a 2000+? Vortec V8's vs. the 5.3 or 6.0? The older body styles are awesome but family members want airbags.

I know there is no perfect vehicle, but I keep coming back to these beasts. I'll use it as my DD (I usually ride my bike to work, it's 1 mile away) and maybe on a few long family vacations or to races (triathlons, lots of gear to take). As much as I love going to Rausch Creek I can't see myself dragging a Suburban over that stuff so offroading will be fireroads, bombing around on our property, and the occasional beach.

Thanks for your comments and sharing your insight!

BPMOU

Observer
Hey Josh,

I was in a similar situation.

See here--> http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/63797-Need-Some-Help-88-91-vs-93-99-Suburban?p=914845

some good info there. I decided on the late 90s body style, but found an 2002 3/4 ton with 120k on the clock for 5k that I couldn't walk away from.

Been happy so far with it. If you are going to move into the 2000 body style keep in mind that 03 has a new dash design, and if you ever have any interest in swapping in a duramax then you want to go with a 2003 or later.

goin camping

Explorer
It's real hard to beat the space and ability of a Suburban to haul the family and two tons of stuff to places for either camping or for the day.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I have been a die hard Rover guy for the last 15 years, but needed a bit more room, and wanted simple. I found a '83 2500 4x4 'burb w/ 45k miles, bought it, loved it, but the wife not so much. After selling, I missed it as did the kids, 4&6. So, I just found a replacement 2 owner '91 2500 4x4 w/ 110k from Ca. Amazingly clean, flew out, drove 3k miles home, and everyone loves this one. There were many upgrades to the interior and ergonomics in those 8 years, but still simple and straight front axle. While no airbags, I feel it still extremely safe if you believe in F=MA. Also affords rides in the front seat for the little ones. All that said, your title sums it up, suburbanitis- just great trucks!! If you are going with the IFS trucks I would strongly encourage the 3/4T models. Oh, and the '91 has Tbi and I got 17 mpg on the ride home!!

Tahoe Diesel

Observer
I'm eyeing up Suburbans. Specifically 96-99's...The older body styles are awesome but family members want airbags.

To get the front passenger's side airbag you'll need to start your search from the '97 model year. '96 has driver's airbag only.

joshjan

Great replies, thanks. I'm not in a huge hurry so I'm taking my time on finding exactly what I want. I live in PA, any rust issues on these things that I should be aware of?
I can't see a reason to step up to a 454 in these things given the fact that I'll be towing infrequently and lightly. I figured 1 or 2 mpg with the 350 would be worth it. Thoughts?
Lastly, I had a mildly built YJ, a very nice XJ built for rocks, and now the liberty. It's inevitable that I'll want to mod the burban so if you have one and have a feature that was especially nice or a pain in the rear let me know that too!
thanks again...

Tahoe Diesel

Observer
It's inevitable that I'll want to mod the burban so if you have one and have a feature that was especially nice or a pain in the rear let me know that too!
thanks again...

Cognito Pitman/Idler steering brace kit; to prevent the typical premature wear on the steering linkage. Bilstein shocks take the lumbering hippo feel out of the ride. Cable operated Posi-Lok to replace the troublesome thermo-electrical diff actuator on the 4x4

Good luck with your search!

Tahoe Diesel

Observer
Tahoe- is that fix better than the ORD brace, or for later models? Thanks

The Cognito kit is for the later IFS trucks '92+. It's a pair of Heim joints and brackets that attach to the Pitman and Idler arm ball joints to prevent them from the unnecessary forward/aft rocking motion that accelerates the wear.

The IFS trucks have a full box section chasis up front, so they don't require the ORD plate and brace like the older straight front axle trucks.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I have been a die hard Rover guy for the last 15 years, but needed a bit more room, and wanted simple. I found a '83 2500 4x4 'burb w/ 45k miles, bought it, loved it, but the wife not so much. After selling, I missed it as did the kids, 4&6. So, I just found a replacement 2 owner '91 2500 4x4 w/ 110k from Ca. Amazingly clean, flew out, drove 3k miles home, and everyone loves this one. There were many upgrades to the interior and ergonomics in those 8 years, but still simple and straight front axle. While no airbags, I feel it still extremely safe if you believe in F=MA. Also affords rides in the front seat for the little ones. All that said, your title sums it up, suburbanitis- just great trucks!! If you are going with the IFS trucks I would strongly encourage the 3/4T models. Oh, and the '91 has Tbi and I got 17 mpg on the ride home!!
Any chance of posting some pics of that great 91 `Burb´:Wow1:that you speak of?:)

rad

Great replies, thanks. I'm not in a huge hurry so I'm taking my time on finding exactly what I want. I live in PA, any rust issues on these things that I should be aware of?
I can't see a reason to step up to a 454 in these things given the fact that I'll be towing infrequently and lightly. I figured 1 or 2 mpg with the 350 would be worth it. Thoughts?
Lastly, I had a mildly built YJ, a very nice XJ built for rocks, and now the liberty. It's inevitable that I'll want to mod the burban so if you have one and have a feature that was especially nice or a pain in the rear let me know that too!
thanks again...

Rust should not be an issue with a Pennsylvania native 97 or later Suburban. The rear bumpers can get rusty, but as long as the sheet metal is all factory stuff the rest of the body should be fine. That is unless the previous owner's been parking the thing in the ocean.

As for mods, I haven't seen a lift kit for an IFS GM truck over 2" yet that didn't require irreversible surgery to something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles