4x4 Camper Van Project - Body Swap

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Now tell me...what kind of mileage are you getting with the 460? Boomer gets 12-14MPG with the 420 cu in N/A diesel, and if it had a turbo, I'd easily get 16. I always shuddered at the thought of what that 460 would cost in fuel!

Very nice rig....It almost looks new!

GNTY

Adventurer
Now tell me...what kind of mileage are you getting with the 460? Boomer gets 12-14MPG with the 420 cu in N/A diesel, and if it had a turbo, I'd easily get 16. I always shuddered at the thought of what that 460 would cost in fuel!

Very nice rig....It almost looks new!

You probably won't believe me but i was getting 12-13 mpg. When i drove the van home from Utah after buying it was getting 13-14 and was shocked. I thought that it would drop to about 9 mpg after the conversion with the extra weight and more wind resistant. This trip was slow going, up and down through the mountains the whole time. Im sure being fuel injected helps a ton. My buddy has a FI 460 in his F350 and he's consistently getting 14-15 mpg. Also i'm not sure what gears are in that van. My 7.3 powerstoke only gets 14-15 mpg. Any way i'm very happy with this 460, not a ton of power but over all a decent package.

D

Deleted member 9101

Very nice van, and with the swap it looks very proportional!!

spencyg

This Space For Rent
That is remarkable. I've been able to get 16mpg when I keep the speedometer below 50 for an extended period, but if you're able to get 12-14MPG with the 460 going around 55-60 than you're doing as good as you would be with a N/A diesel. It's the lack of turbo that kills my efficiency currently...I did some calculations awhile back based on the internal efficiencies of a N/A vs. Turbo diesel, and figured I could bring my efficiency up to around 16MPG @ 55MPH by adding one...the cost of doing so might make the savings questionable though unless you're doing 10k+ miles a year. Last year we put on 2k miles, and this year 0.

Again...very nice rig.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I am glad to say that I have seen it in the flesh (ok, sheetmetal) and it is gorgeous.

Great running into your dad and you and the rest of your group in Moab. That van looks great. Hope to see you guys again next year.

Cheers,
Tom

GNTY

Adventurer
I am glad to say that I have seen it in the flesh (ok, sheetmetal) and it is gorgeous.

Great running into your dad and you and the rest of your group in Moab. That van looks great. Hope to see you guys again next year.

Cheers,
Tom

Couldn't miss your van from a mile away! Its the best looking and outfitted Astro/Safari ive seen. Pleasure meeting you Tom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94