adjustable rack questions.

cr500taco

Adventurer
I am going to be building a rack on my utility trailer. For now, the rack will be used to carry my kayak and bicycles. But, I plan on getting a rtt to put on it in the future. I want to make the rack adjustable in height, so I can raise and lower it, depending on what I am hauling in the trailer. It won't need any assistance for now, until I get the rtt, but, then I'll add either struts or actuators. Most of the time the trailer hauls just my camping gear in it, but sometimes I haul my dirt bike as well. Hence, the reason why I want it to be adjustable. I have the basic concept down that a smaller tubing fits inside a larger tubing with pins to lock it in position. But what else do I need to do?

Also, I am thinking about making it three or more sections, to get it as low to the trailer to where it's just above my gear, but achieve the height that I need to clear my dirt bike. If I do it in multiple sections, will it be strong enough for the rtt or should I just do it in two sections?

I am in the middle of one and I am not super excited with my design but it gets better as I work through it. That being said I have my days when I wish it was fixed. My issue is that I am 6'6" tall and I don't want my RTT that high up in the air all the time as I'd like to be able to stand up in my annex.... I am going the nestable tubing route. I want the tent lower than the roof of my vehicle so that means I have the double adjustable like you are referring to. We'll see if I get something I am happy with in the end

https://www.mcmaster.com/#nestable-tubing/=vjsjoo

Linear actuators seem to be the way to raise it but its money and if they fail there isn't really a good way to raise it. If you do once side at a time you need to allow the system to lengthen which is another complexity. I have seen builds where they use gas struts. I like those if they work for the amount of rise you want. If you want to do multiple sections it gets even more complex.... I'd like to keep the raise part simple so I am going with a screw jack, I wanted to do gas struts but they cost big money in the length I need and you need to get the weight rating right and they can still fail. ....

I feel like I am falling down the rabbit hole here.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/adj-height-rack-for-rtt-on-a-trailer.47164/

https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...pedition-trailer-timbren-rtt-lift-etc.159936/

There are many more if you hunt around.

cr500taco

Adventurer
I am in the middle of one and I am not super excited with my design but it gets better as I work through it. That being said I have my days when I wish it was fixed. My issue is that I am 6'6" tall and I don't want my RTT that high up in the air all the time as I'd like to be able to stand up in my annex.... I am going the nestable tubing route. I want the tent lower than the roof of my vehicle so that means I have the double adjustable like you are referring to. We'll see if I get something I am happy with in the end

https://www.mcmaster.com/#nestable-tubing/=vjsjoo

Linear actuators seem to be the way to raise it but its money and if they fail there isn't really a good way to raise it. If you do once side at a time you need to allow the system to lengthen which is another complexity. I have seen builds where they use gas struts. I like those if they work for the amount of rise you want. If you want to do multiple sections it gets even more complex.... I'd like to keep the raise part simple so I am going with a screw jack, I wanted to do gas struts but they cost big money in the length I need and you need to get the weight rating right and they can still fail. ....

I feel like I am falling down the rabbit hole here.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/adj-height-rack-for-rtt-on-a-trailer.47164/

https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...pedition-trailer-timbren-rtt-lift-etc.159936/

There are many more if you hunt around.
Thanks for the input and the link.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

javajoe79

Fabricator
Do you want to manually lift it up or have assistance? It can be as simple as nesting tubes and pins or bolts.

cr500taco

Adventurer
Haven't gotten much help with the rack build. But, here's an update of what I have in mind from searching online and I have a few questions. The upper section will be 1.5" .120 wall square tubing. I saw one rack where someone was going to use UHMV tape on the uprights of the uppper section to help it slide up and down in the base. Thought this will also be a good way to protect the paint on the uprights. The base section, I am either going to use 2" .120" wall (which will have .25" of play with the .005" thick UHMV tape) or preferably 1.75" .083" wall, so there will be a tighter fit, so there won't be any play.

First question, is stainless steel recommended to use or needed for the rack or is regular steel fine. Second question, what wall thickness should be used? Is the .083 fine or should I use the 2" .120 tubing? Third question, will the UHMV tape be a waste of money and time and if so, how do you keep the paint from scratcing up when the rack is lifting up and down?

Last edited:

ShyTrex

I just did the same thing but I bought https://www.springcreek.com/product/paddle-sports/one-tuff-truck-rack/ instead. I had them customize them to not have the 15 degree angle so its simpler to raise my RTT.

this is a photo of the test install. I've not yet put on the custom crossbars I made but it should give a rough idea.
That's a good idea. Exept that the rack isn't tall enough for what I need.
Not sure what fou height need is but this one extends to 34inched

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hoghead

Observer
I have 1.5" 14 ga lower and 1.25 14 ga upper for my telescopic rack. It's moved up and down by linear actuators, 18" stroke, 200lb lift. I've had them for three years, and just had to replace two of them. However the trailer did have to spend the winter outside this year. I haven't found a good fix for the paint scraping off. I just give them a fresh coat every now and then. Sorry you haven't had many answers on this, it probably would get more traffic in the expedition trailers section.

cr500taco

Adventurer
I have 1.5" 14 ga lower and 1.25 14 ga upper for my telescopic rack. It's moved up and down by linear actuators, 18" stroke, 200lb lift. I've had them for three years, and just had to replace two of them. However the trailer did have to spend the winter outside this year. I haven't found a good fix for the paint scraping off. I just give them a fresh coat every now and then. Sorry you haven't had many answers on this, it probably would get more traffic in the expedition trailers section.

Thanks for your input. I just realized that I posted it in the wrong section....:rolleyes::geek::LOL:I wonder if they will let me repost it in the expedition trailers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94