Which Truck? Tacoma Or Tundra

The_Dude

Adventurer
As the title says I am torn between these two trucks. I currently have a built 97 80 series LC. I love it and love its nostalgia. It doesnt tow our 3000lbs camper very well and I average around 11-12 mpg not towing. Crap mileage and no power is annoying. I can justify crappy mileage if there is some sort of power. I like having the lockers and stuff. Lately I have found myself going on longer journeys with a camper than utilizing the off road prowess of the 80 series. Which is why I am considering a Tundra.

The tacoma would eventually be built up with 33s and towing the camper would still be not awesome.
The tundra probably would only get a small lift with 34 or skinny 35 (285/85/18s).

With sliders how capable is the tundra? I know it wont be as capable as a tacoma.

Any tundra owners with 34" tires getting 15 mpg still?

Watt maker

I have 295/70/18 Ridge Grapplers on my Tundra and I still get 15 mpg. I was originally looking at Tacoma's but I don't care for the 3.5 v6 in them so I started looking at the Tundra again. I almost bought a Rock Warrior Tundra back in 2012 but I was amazed by the ecoboost f150 and bought that instead. Unfortunately, the Ford turned out to be a lemon and was really unreliable so I dumped it for a 2014 4runner which has been great. Well, this time around when I needed a truck, I knew it would be a Toyota.

Honestly, it comes down to what you want to use it for. If you don't plan on hitting tight trails with it, or have limited parking space, you get more bang for the buck with the Tundra. The 5.7 with the 6-speed is awesome and has plenty of power. Some complain that it gets terrible mpg and yes, compared to a prius it does get terrible mpg but I get the same, or even better mpg in some instances than my ecoboost did.

Dblack

Observer
I have a 2013 tundra with a 5.7L and average 15.5mpg. Towing, hauling, etc etc. 2.5” ome lift, 34” tires, arb rear locker, snorkel, fuel transfer tank, sliders and... a few other bells and whistles.
I faced the same decision and decided on the tundra for comfort, (family of 5) towing the trailer and bikes. Later I decided to build it a little more off road capable. All in all it’s very good off road. I’ve taken it to moab a couple times with great success.

It’s big though. The exit angle is atrocious and the transfer flow fuel tank hangs below the frame... which I hate. But I still love it to bits.

bb649972876b493676aaf8ff3b1c2508.jpg

e2ddf842d8b52a3d3ac85dc47d284624.jpg

Irongrave

If you are going to be towing a lot there is no replacement for the displacement of the 5.7 in the tundra. I love my 4.0 Tacoma it pulled 4k well just not in a hurry to go any where but stopping it even with trailer brakes was a little uneasy.

robert

Expedition Leader
For towing definitely the Tundra, not just for the power but also the braking; the Tacoma's brakes are pretty marginal to start with. I don't know about the newer engine but the 4L gets terrible gas mileage for the size of the engine and truck.

tennesseewj

Observer
I'm amazed you even tolerate towing with an 80! Loved my 80 but it was miserable to pull a trailer with. Unless you're going wheeling, a half-ton truck seems like the better option. More room for you and your passengers while getting the same or better fuel mileage on your trips.

Big enough to tow the 80 to some trails, too!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

bkg

Explorer
Right? 6.0 would would be sick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And cheaper than a tundra.

FWIW, I averaged 15 with my crew max. If I was nice to it. Got 10 towing my tacoma, 11 if I babied it. I’m impressed with others still getting 15+ with trailers/weight. No way my tundra (owned 3. All got horrible mileage) could do that. Ymmv

I have a 2012 Tundra with 305/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 and I pull a 24ft camper that weighs about 5500lbs and I avg about 10-12mpg's, 15.5 mpg without the camper.

Dalko43

Explorer
I'm very surprised to hear that heavily modified Tundra's are averaging 15 mpg. The 1GR-FE in my 4runner is lucky to hit 16 mpg for winter driving in rural/suburban areas.

As for the choice between the Tacoma vs Tundra: if you're going to keep the Tacoma mostly stock, it should handle the 3k lbs of towing just fine. MPG's won't be great, but it will work. If you want to throw the whole parts catalog at your truck and then tow with it, get the Tundra.

Also, if you're going with the Tacoma, I'd strongly advise getting the older gen with the 4.0l V6. The newer 3.5l v6, while a smooth and reliable engine, doesn't have the same low-end torque as the 4.0l and honestly its mpg's are about the same when you really put it to work.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles