Which Truck? Tacoma Or Tundra

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I came from an 07 Xterra with the 4.0 V6, and now have the Tundra. The Xterra towed our 3800(ish) pound travel trailer, but complained about it going up grades and in the mountains, and got worse mileage towing than our Tundra does. The Tundra could tow the travel trailer uphill in 110* weather without wheels and not even break a sweat. We've since sold the Xterra (kitted out with a rooftop tent and all the other "stuff"), sold the travel trailer, and now we roll with the Tundra and Four Wheel Camper. I will never, ever go back to a mid-sized under-powered vehicle again. I am completely happy with the compromise of the larger vehicle over the smaller more nimble one. ThE tundra hauls the camper and all our gear around as if it isn't even there. The power of the 5.7 V8 is simply amazing....and once you've tasted it there is no way you'd go back to anything less. It is more roomy, more comfortable, more stable, just more. If I want to pass a line of semi-trucks going up a grade...I just do it. We have changed up our style of adventure with this new truck, I realize that we will be leaving behind some of those tight goat trails...but what we've gained, in my humble oprion, outweighs what we've given up.

31120756_10155203535881637_6954651727060533248_o.jpg

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I drive a 2005 Tundra with the 4.7. It isn't a powerstroke, but it tows alright. I really enjoy the decent sized bed and interior space 1524513072362.png
1524513142815-png.444700

and it is still off-roadable.

1524513661522.png

Not that I would ever do this on a regular basis or very far, but we were evacuating a forest fire and a friend needed their 36 foot trailer pulled out. I hauled it about 15 miles for them.

1524513631896.png

Last edited:

Watt maker

I came from an 07 Xterra with the 4.0 V6, and now have the Tundra. The Xterra towed our 3800(ish) pound travel trailer, but complained about it going up grades and in the mountains, and got worse mileage towing than our Tundra does. The Tundra could tow the travel trailer uphill in 110* weather without wheels and not even break a sweat. We've since sold the Xterra (kitted out with a rooftop tent and all the other "stuff"), sold the travel trailer, and now we roll with the Tundra and Four Wheel Camper. I will never, ever go back to a mid-sized under-powered vehicle again. I am completely happy with the compromise of the larger vehicle over the smaller more nimble one. ThE tundra hauls the camper and all our gear around as if it isn't even there. The power of the 5.7 V8 is simply amazing....and once you've tasted it there is no way you'd go back to anything less. It is more roomy, more comfortable, more stable, just more. If I want to pass a line of semi-trucks going up a grade...I just do it. We have changed up our style of adventure with this new truck, I realize that we will be leaving behind some of those tight goat trails...but what we've gained, in my humble oprion, outweighs what we've given up.

View attachment 444698

Absolutely love that setup!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I drive a 2005 Tundra with the 4.7. It isn't a powerstroke, but it tows alright. I really enjoy the decent sized bed and interior space
I totally agree, the 1st gen Tundra with the 4.7L V8 is a very nice compromise. Not much (if any) larger than a 2nd/3rd gen Taco (some of us don't even want or need a truck this big, which feels like a luxury to me) but with the extra power some people feel they need. In fact Toyota had some idea this was true when they built the roughly similar sized 4th gen 4Runner with both a V6 and V8 option. I think the reason we never saw a V8 Tacoma was CAFE, with as many of them as they sell even a few MPG would drag their average even further down.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Or dodge power wagon for 43k and do everything better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I looked seriously at the Power Wagon as well. At the end of the day I decided to spend my money on what I consider to be a more reliable and time proven drivetrain. I can add my own lockers, so the only thing I'm really giving up is the solid front axle, which I'm ok with given what I get in return.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
Also, if you're going with the Tacoma, I'd strongly advise getting the older gen with the 4.0l V6. The newer 3.5l v6, while a smooth and reliable engine, doesn't have the same low-end torque as the 4.0l and honestly its mpg's are about the same when you really put it to work.

My neighbor across the street has a 2nd gen Tacoma DCSB, with a trailer the size of what The_Dude has...it looks sketch at best. Keep on waiting for him to come home with a bigger truck...though in the two years he has had the TT think I have seen it leave the driveway 3 times...

Last edited:
I had 2014 tundra and it was an okay truck. But they are terrible off road...too big... pathetic range. Wobbles all over the place on washboard (King shocks almost fix this) tiny fuel tank. (I think they now have larger tanks) drinks gas(Tacoma is not much more efficient) and unless you need to tow heavy and often are simply overkill. I thought the Tacoma was a moronic compromise considering they cost nearly the same new off the lot yes less capability... but wouldn’t ya know the love of my life is a 1st gen Tacoma. Simple, wheels like a beast... 30mpg (its diesel) and I don’t have to stress about pin stripes and dents. Bigger rigs are limited if you actually “overland” or whatever you want to call car camping. The modern Tacoma is the do it all jack of all trades vehicle that can hang with most off road when the going gets rough. Loads of aftermarket crap to bolt on these days...The only travesty is the newest generation is so damn big it’s not much smaller than a tundra. Go figure.
I say if you’re in the market look at first gen tundra or maybe second gen Tacoma’s that’s already built up a bit.

*edit* I just re-read your post and it sounds like you’re easing into the camper game more often. If that’s the case re-power the 80 series (Cummins r2.8) or get a tundra or ford equivalent. If you like luxury items the f-150 beats the pants off Toyota...the Toyota trucks are absolutely simple and bare bones which is by design of course.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Not trying to knock the Toyota’s or anything guys! Going through a similar phase but I have a way bigger trailer hence a diesel.

The_Dude

Adventurer
Except pass a gas station. Power Wagons are cool but they are some thirsty beasts!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Is the 5.7l v8 Tundra all that efficient by comparison?
Not at all. The 5.7L Tundras get the worst mileage of the current half ton market but several mpg better than a Power Wagon...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What kind of range are you getting with a 5.7 tundra? I like the TT for base camping. We still use a tent if we are going somewhere gnarly that we can’t pull the trailer.

Clutch

<---Pass
Not at all. The 5.7L Tundras get the worst mileage of the current half ton market but several mpg better than a Power Wagon...
Is the 5.7l v8 Tundra all that efficient by comparison?

They all will get about the same mpg when towing. Only reason the other 1/2 tons get better mileage is because you can order them with taller gear ratios. Match the ratios, and they'll be they'll be pretty close, at least for splitting hairs.

Bud of mine gets 10-11 in his Ecoboost pulling his 18' toyhauler.

@ The_Dude: If you can I would go rent a couple different trucks and see what you like best. Really the only way to know.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles