1985 FJ60 Air Conditioning Tips ( Hydrocarbon based Refrigerants )

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
Hi:

I have a 1985 FJ60 Expo Build. I live and explore around Las Vegas, NV, Mojave Desert and the Great Basin. A working AC system is a must in the summer heat. I have struggled keeping the old R12 Refrigerant in the system and eventually switched to R134a only to discover the compressor was working way too hard in our terrible desert heat and sapping energy I needed to move my behemoth rig. For me I found that using a Hydrocarbon based Refrigerant did the trick for me. If you are interested in knowing the pros and cons of using this in your system please read my post over on MUD. It have tried to dispel the myths on using Hydrocarbon based Refrigerant by citing peer reviewed studies on their efficacy and safety.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/duracool-12a-and-hydrocarbon-based-ac-refrigerants.1048595/

Hope this info is able to help some folks out there.

Mark

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
Yes, I did ! I fixed it then converted and filled with R134. The smaller molecule size of the R134 meant a tiny slow leak out of the OEM hoses as they were not made to contain R134. Plus the higher head pressures in the compressor made the things work harder. Not so with 12A which has a molecular size approx. 3 times that of R134. I am now a happy and cool camper :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94