Lady Godiva: 2017 Ram 3500 CCLB Build

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I got almost 40,000 miles out of my 295/65r20 Toyo AT2s on my 3500. Maybe your's weren't inflated correctly according to the load chart or something. I ran 50F40R for daily use and only went to 80psi when I had my Lance 855 on the truck.

Adventurous

Explorer
And, order placed for suspension! Went through Thuren and ended up with the 0.5" lift soft front coils, the track bar, and 2.5" Kings remote reservoir shocks valved with Stage 2. They will be set-up for 3,500 lbs worth of payload. Now to wait the 5-6 weeks and hope they show up on time, cause we will more than likely be moving in 8...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I got almost 40,000 miles out of my 295/65r20 Toyo AT2s on my 3500. Maybe your's weren't inflated correctly according to the load chart or something. I ran 50F40R for daily use and only went to 80psi when I had my Lance 855 on the truck.

Oh I was inflated correctly. They had 50% tread at least when I ditched them, but if there was even a hint of moisture on the road I would lose traction. If I drove through a puddle on otherwise dry roads I would have traction control come on trying to leave the next stop light. The last straw was doing 4 wheel drifts while driving down the highway at legal speeds in the rain. I’m not the only one to experience this. There was a big discussion about how bad they were on Cummins Forum. I didn’t have the same issues with the AT IIs on my 12 valve dually, or on my Rubicon, but on the ‘14 they were horrible. I notice you are on MTs now B.B., so you must not have been super impressed either?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Oh I was inflated correctly. They had 50% tread at least when I ditched them, but if there was even a hint of moisture on the road I would lose traction. If I drove through a puddle on otherwise dry roads I would have traction control come on trying to leave the next stop light. The last straw was doing 4 wheel drifts while driving down the highway at legal speeds in the rain. I’m not the only one to experience this. There was a big discussion about how bad they were on Cummins Forum. I didn’t have the same issues with the AT IIs on my 12 valve dually, or on my Rubicon, but on the ‘14 they were horrible. I notice you are on MTs now B.B., so you must not have been super impressed either?

Actually, I wish they made the AT2s in the 315/65r18 size. I wanted larger than 35s but not 37s.

I had none of those issues, but mine were the At2 Extreme. I have recommended the Toyo ATs tons of times.

Adventurous

Explorer
I've gone through this entire thread and haven't seen a picture with a naked woman on a horse.

Turns out if you Google 'naked woman on horse' there are way more naked women on horses than I would have thought. Had to check it out for uh, research purposes. ;)

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Mine were the AT II Extreme as well in 285/75-18. I have warned people away from them dozens of times. There was a thread on Cummins Forum (I can’t find it now to link) that had people from all over North America having similar issues. Most of the areas saw more rain or humidity than average. The people who liked them tended to be from Az orother warmer and drier areas.

Toyo went as far as admitting to me there was a problem and offered me a replacement set. I passed on that and am running a much better tire now, (as are you with the Toyo MT).

Last edited:

Watt maker

Turns out if you Google 'naked woman on horse' there are way more naked women on horses than I would have thought. Had to check it out for uh, research purposes. ;)

This thread is worthless without pictures!!

I ran a set of Extreme Toyo AT's before and had good luck with them. Unfortunately, I only had about 20k on them when I traded in my ecobust ford but they still looked brand new. Two of them required no weight to balance and they were very smooth at all speeds. I tried to find a junk set of 18's to throw on that lemon truck before I traded it but couldn't come up with anything. I like the Ridge Grappler better but I would run the Toyos again as well.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Mine were the AT II Extreme as well in 285/75-18. I have warned people away from them dozens of times. There was a thread on Cummins Forum (I can’t find it now to link) that had people from all over North America having similar issues. Most of the areas saw more rain or humidity than average. The people who liked them tended to be from Az orother warmer and drier areas.

Toyo went as far as admitting to me there was a problem and offered me a replacement set. I passed on that and am running a much better tire now, (as are you with the Toyo MT).

Yea. I'm in South Louisiana. We don't get snow but do get a lot of rain.
I think I'm going with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in a 37x1250r18 next. I don't need the MT and frankly don't like the noise but like the bigger tire. That size Ridge Grappler is only 2 pounds heavier than my current 36s.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
My only pause with the Ridge Grappler are the conflicting reports of tread life. I know on my Nitto MT's back in 2013, I only got 21,000 miles out of them on my F-250 before they were completely shot.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Tires are tricky. They aren’t exactly a cheap thing to mess around with and try multiple different types. I got 45,000 out of the first set of Cooper ST Maxx I had. They would have done another 10,000 at least but I got unlucky and found an arrowhead shaped rock with one. It was patchable, but I was about to leave on a 3,000 mile trip with the camper on and loaded to 12,000 lbs. It seemed like a good time to go from 295/70-18s up to 305s. I easily sold the 295s for $400 so they had decent tread left. They are a great all around tire. Fairly aggressive tread, but very smooth and quiet on the highway. I’m running them on my 100 series as well now.

Adventurous

Explorer
Tires are tricky. They aren’t exactly a cheap thing to mess around with and try multiple different types. I got 45,000 out of the first set of Cooper ST Maxx I had. They would have done another 10,000 at least but I got unlucky and found an arrowhead shaped rock with one. It was patchable, but I was about to leave on a 3,000 mile trip with the camper on and loaded to 12,000 lbs. It seemed like a good time to go from 295/70-18s up to 305s. I easily sold the 295s for $400 so they had decent tread left. They are a great all around tire. Fairly aggressive tread, but very smooth and quiet on the highway. I’m running them on my 100 series as well now.

Ain't that the truth, it's tough to gamble $1,200 like that with no definitive answers out there. For every person that says "This tire is the best!" the next person chimes in saying it's the worst tire in the history of ever and they would never run it again. I'm finding it tough to find a consensus or foolproof choice in the big truck world. I'd roll with the Coopers, but unfortunately they don't make the ST Maxx in 285/75R18.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
No, but 295/70 is perfect for our trucks... Or if you really need that extra 0.5” of height, 305/70s are available too. I’ve run all three sizes, and like the look of the 305 best, but with stock wheels there is a small amount of rub at full lock. 285/75s rub as well.

Adventurous

Explorer
No, but 295/70 is perfect for our trucks... Or if you really need that extra 0.5” of height, 305/70s are available too. I’ve run all three sizes, and like the look of the 305 best, but with stock wheels there is a small amount of rub at full lock. 285/75s rub as well.

O rly. I read that the 285/75s did not rub. If that's the case, perhaps I'll be looking at 295/70s then, I really hate rubbing and don't want to get into aftermarket wheels or trimming at this time.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I think it really depends on which tire you chose as well. I had 285s in the Toyo AT 2 Extreme. There wasn’t super annoying rub, but there is very little in the way of lugs or actual traction with those pieces of dung. There WAS paint gone down to bare metal on the radius arm though. 295s were better (I think a bit of paint removal, but these were a much chunkier tire with side wall tread and big lugs). 305s have the most rub. I just stop turning when I feel it start. This is with Laramie alloys. The 285s and 295s were both mounted on the stock SXT chrome clad steel wheels. I think the Laramie wheels have a tiny bit more offset too, so 305s would likely be worse on the steel wheels. I have had my Thurens (or 2” spacers) since week one, so not sure how the various sizes will interact with any body parts. 295s coming in at 34.3” would have less issues than the 34.8” 285s I’d think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior