White Turtle III - Ford Transit - The build and adventure!

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
No snow https://www.firstchoicephoto.ca/van-no-snow/

TurtleIII20170419I016.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

Photomike

So my son and I went on a little drive this last Saturday. When we stopped for gas my son mentioned that there was free weigh scales at the station so thought after fueling up we would get some numbers.

So the numbers are with me and my son. Full fuel. Tandem inflatable Kayak. Fridge full of water and pop. A couple cameras, bags and lenses. Clothes and bathroom items. Dishes and a few extras. I think the only thing that I did not have on board was food other than a few snacks.

Front axle - 1590 kg - 3,498 lbs
Rear axle - 1380 kg - 3,036 lbs
Total 2970 kg - 6,534 lbs

Chainlakes20180512I428c.JPG

Last edited:

Photomike

Took a weekend trip there last October. I have wanted to go there for the last 25 years. I wasn't disappointed.

Your build is coming along nicely.

Thanks, Writing on Stone is a cool place to go. I like it so much better without people :D

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Mike, is this rig 4WD? I was struck by your definition of a 'traveling machine' vs. a 'camp mobile', with days in one place being the yard stick. Most so-called overlanders go for the look rather than any practical traveling protocol. It took me decades to go from hard core rock crawling overlanding and camping to a relatively small, capable, long term traveling machine. How's your health these days? I appreciate your missionary zeal at the Transit build. click pic to roll film:

jefe

Last edited:

Photomike

Mike, is this rig 4WD? I was struck by your definition of a 'traveling machine' vs. a 'camp mobile', with days in one place being the yard stick. Most so-called overlanders go for the look rather than any practical traveling protocol. It took me decades to go from hard core rock crawling overlanding and camping to a relatively small, capable, long term traveling machine. How's your health these days? I appreciate your missionary zeal at the Transit build. click pic to roll film:

jefe

No not 4wd. I had thought of it but honestly I do not plan on going that off road. I still have a 19' Class C if I need to "camp", but I hate camping to often as staying on one place is boring for me.

I do love the look of so many expedition vehicles, but when you see them parked at Walmart or Costco shopping you know most are just for the looks and not for the practical.

Health is up and down, really do not feel any worse than for the past 10 years and in some ways I feel better.

I love the Transit as the one shell package is so nice. No pop up roof, no jacks or tie downs.

Photomike

So I have had a lot of little projects on my plate and have not done a lot to the van, but I have done a lot with the van. Funny thing is that I get few pictures of the van when I am using it. It is like it is part of me and that is what I want, something to use and not to notice.

I just went and did a trip to some sand dunes several hour away. Here is the first part of that write up. I will add other updates as I get them written.

https://www.firstchoicephoto.ca/blog...-hills-part-1

Saskatchewan20180823I430c.jpg

Photomike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles