Ultimate Square Body Suburban Overland Build

camp4x4

Adventurer
I love the old square bodies and of course running a pre-smog burb has its advantages. Im in the high desert, victorville.

What are you expecting your timeline is for the project? I started mine a year and a half ago :ROFLMAO: Are you going to be going full frame-off or just modifying in place?

75SUB4X4

What are you expecting your timeline is for the project? I started mine a year and a half ago :ROFLMAO: Are you going to be going full frame-off or just modifying in place?

Honestly it depends on how fast the parts come in and how many hangups I run into. I am still waiting on the ORD coilover mounts (front and rear) and I need a new tube bender die. So, if I am honest with myself....I would like to see her on the road by august of this year. I wish I had the space for a full frame off, so it will be an in place restomod situation.

camp4x4

Adventurer
Honestly it depends on how fast the parts come in and how many hangups I run into. I am still waiting on the ORD coilover mounts (front and rear) and I need a new tube bender die. So, if I am honest with myself....I would like to see her on the road by august of this year. I wish I had the space for a full frame off, so it will be an in place restomod situation.

We'll have to do a California Square Body 'Burb trail run!

75SUB4X4

We'll have to do a California Square Body 'Burb trail run!
Heck ya! Iv have ben following your build, my hat is off to you on what you have done so far. I am loving it, getting all sorts of ideas. Great job. You in CA too? where abouts?

Last edited:

camp4x4

Adventurer
Heck you! Iv have ben following your build, my hat is off to you on what you have done so far. I am loving it, getting all sorts of ideas. Great job. You in CA too? where abouts?

Thanks! Its been fun for sure, super excited about the end result... let me know if you need details on anything. I'm just up in San Jose. I usually go wheeling anywhere in the Sierras from down by Fresno all the way up to Downieville and beyond. Very first trip in my old '87 was to Monache Meadows. Might make that the first trip in the '73 there too just for synchrony of it.

75SUB4X4

Thanks! Its been fun for sure, super excited about the end result... let me know if you need details on anything. I'm just up in San Jose. I usually go wheeling anywhere in the Sierras from down by Fresno all the way up to Downieville and beyond. Very first trip in my old '87 was to Monache Meadows. Might make that the first trip in the '73 there too just for synchrony of it.

Forsure, ill let you know!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hello Mr 75 Sub. I just saw your build for the first time. Looks like a solid old `Burb´you have to start your project. Our family used to have a 74 with the 454. Too bad it was only 2wd. Yours has the potential to being a real powerhouse. I cant wait to see those upgrades installed; as I am sure a lot of others here on the site could agree to. Keep posting pics and giving us the news. Cheers, Chilli...:cool:

75SUB4X4

Hello Mr 75 Sub. I just saw your build for the first time. Looks like a solid old `Burb´you have to start your project. Our family used to have a 74 with the 454. Too bad it was only 2wd. Yours has the potential to being a real powerhouse. I cant wait to see those upgrades installed; as I am sure a lot of others here on the site could agree to. Keep posting pics and giving us the news. Cheers, Chilli...:cool:

Thanks!

75SUB4X4

New bits just arrived. ORD LS crossmember and engine mounts, extreme duty universal wire harness, cross over steering bits. Still gotta track down a correct NV4500 bellhousing, hydraulic clutch pedal assembly and a few more bits.

Attachments

• 20180523_121648.jpg
    20180523_121648.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 60
  • 20180523_121432.jpg
    20180523_121432.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 63
  • 20180523_121539.jpg
    20180523_121539.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 61

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
this is awesome. i want an old square body so bad, but they're all rusty around here and the rust free ones are top dollar unless you know someone or can drive around looking for one

75SUB4X4

this is awesome. i want an old square body so bad, but they're all rusty around here and the rust free ones are top dollar unless you know someone or can drive around looking for one

There are plenty of square bodies out here in CA with very little rust, might be worth your while to get one shipped to you?

75SUB4X4

Just a quick update, these last few weeks have been really busy. Got the front and rear axles off, engine removed and will continue to remove unnecessary items and material. Next up the gas tank, dash and all leaf spring mounts. Ordered the proper size die for my tube bender and will hopefully start on the nerf bars next week.

I also picked up a NP203 for the double. Stay tuned!

20180615_140029.jpg20180615_140057.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94