Help Building LR4 and locating HD Package

Ray_G

Explorer
Random aside in the 17" option discussion: anyone stateside try the 17" BMW X5 wheels?

Part of me is very intrigued about going to KM2s...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray, are you stuck on the X5 wheels for a reason or just because there are not any other options? Just opening up the discussion because I found a few steel options that are easy to get over here. I am considering putting the KM2s on a set of steelies and then cleaning up my 17" OEMs for some new KO2s.

I have my OEM 18's stacked in the garage and considering selling them. They still have a good amount of rubber left on the Nitto TG ATs but honestly, I do not think I will back to the 18's again. Although I have considered putting them on to run the rubber out and then selling the wheels and save life on my KM2s til the Tesla gets here. hmmmmmm!!!

Ray_G

Explorer
Ray, are you stuck on the X5 wheels for a reason or just because there are not any other options? Just opening up the discussion because I found a few steel options that are easy to get over here. I am considering putting the KM2s on a set of steelies and then cleaning up my 17" OEMs for some new KO2s.

I have my OEM 18's stacked in the garage and considering selling them. They still have a good amount of rubber left on the Nitto TG ATs but honestly, I do not think I will back to the 18's again. Although I have considered putting them on to run the rubber out and then selling the wheels and save life on my KM2s til the Tesla gets here. hmmmmmm!!!

X5 17's only bc they are cheap and plentiful-if you have steel options I'd be interested in what that looks like too.

The idea of having two sets of wheels, one with KMs, the other with KOs, is pretty compelling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll post up some links on my build thread as to not hi-jack this one.

What year specifically for X5 wheels? I haven't looked into that option at all. Aluminum is obviously much lighter for daily use!

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Another way to tell is the center console, or so I was told. If it has the two buttons right of the eco and hill decent control, one will show a mountain which is low range and another shows the road which is high.

Like this photo here. I am also in the same boat, this one is an HSE Lux here in NY sold private party with 30k something miles on it. I'm thinking about getting out of my X5 and getting back into the overland game at some point.

Attachments

• lowrange.jpg
    lowrange.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 37

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Another way to tell is the center console, or so I was told. If it has the two buttons right of the eco and hill decent control, one will show a mountain which is low range and another shows the road which is high.

Like this photo here. I am also in the same boat, this one is an HSE Lux here in NY sold private party with 30k something miles on it. I'm thinking about getting out of my X5 and getting back into the overland game at some point.

You're referencing something different. On the LR4 after a certain model year they took away the two speed transfer box and made it an "option" that was included in the HD package. Up until that point every one of the Discovery 3/4 models had a two speed transfer box (IE the mountain symbol to which you refer). Does not necessarily mean locking diff, although if they slaved those two features together for the LR4 HD package then yes.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
That is my understanding that the two speed transfer case is part of the HD package and the locker is standard with the package.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke