AC for RTT

captwoody

Adventurer
I am out in So Cal so without AC the river and desert are pretty tough.so I bought a Ryobi 2300 watt generator and a GE 6000 btu window AC with remote.Questions I have are can I put AC in tent with exhaust coils of against side screen and just cover around it or does it have to be outside of screen blowing in. I can do it either way I have a shelf outside of the window. just would prefer it inside tent so its less likely to disappear. I will chain generator to trailer

captwoody

Adventurer
Update drain pan has a rubber plug I used a barbed drip irrigation fitting to pierce it and attach 2ft drain lines for the condensation so tent wont get wet

Silverback07

Adventurer
Many years ago I saw a trailer that was sponsored by Wounded Warriors being pulled behind a Jeep. It had a RTT and a dog kennel HVAC unit mounted at the front of the box. It had the air ducts plumbed threw the bottom of the tent. They had cut two holes in the bottom of the part that mounts solid to the rack. On top they cut holes in the mattress and added some PVC flanges (probably wrong term). Once the tent was open they would add an extension with an extenention and a 90 degree elbow with a vent to the flanges to add input and output vents. I used to have the pics saved but its been probably 9 years since I seen them and I cannot find them. Someone may know better what I am recalling.. or have pics. It was pretty slick. I want to do it on my trailer with RTT but hesitate to cut two 3" holes in a $3k tent.. not to mention mattress modifications . LOL

captwoody

Adventurer
Now that I have drain lines coming out of pan I am going to try placing it inside with vent going out side window. and drain lines exiting tent. will center ac over hinge inside tent. plan 2 is to mount on shelf outside window and use rainfly to seal around ac unit. need for it to get warm to judge efficiency of setups. picked up a grate to protect condenser fins

ottsville

Observer
I'd like to see how you rig this up. I just purchased one of these adapters and got the Frost King AC unit in the mail today. I'll be putting it to use next weekend as we are Glamping in a campground with a 110v outlet for memorial day to be close to family. I'm thinking my wife will OK at Honda EU2200 after a weekend with AC:)

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/portable-a-c-unit-gauging-interest.175024/
This is the way I would/will probably go. I've seen several homemade adapters like this, and with a little electrical know how you could even mount the unit on the tongue and put the controls in the tent.

captwoody

Adventurer
Thanks for the pic , was going to do something similar using Velcro or a template style adapter. please keep pics like this coming. work in progress. generator has blue tooth and AC has a remote. so sealing for efficiency is my last hurdle

captwoody

Adventurer
had to make adapter to get ac to cool tent correctly. Another member makes adapters but they wont fit the ac unit I have so I plagiarized his idea using components from home depot.
4" water heater flashing, 4" dryer vent, 4" Round irrigation drain cap, 12 ft solid corrugated drain line and good old duct tape. 40 bucks of materials to create a separate supply and return line. also ac does not cool efficiently on eco idle, turn it off and it cools fine. it was 80 when I tested unit in full sunac gen.jpgac front.jpgtemp.jpg

JCDriller

Adventurer
Any detailed pics on how you plumbed the vent tubes into and out of the RTT?

No photos on file. We keep the annex room attached to the tent 24/7 so when set up the zipper panel that is against the trailer is left open. The intake just slips between the trailer and the tent through the open panel. It’s amazing with the tent cover rolled up and the tent pulled around the side boxes the annex room really seals itself up.

As for the output hose we just plugged it into the hole that is next to the hinges, the one with the Velcro flap. Fits perfect. Output and intake all about 2 feet from the AC while being in totally separate parts of the tent, makes for good circulation.

Silverback07

Adventurer
Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

I see you also have a CVT Summit Series. I should fit the annex on mine and try to fold it all up. I didn't think it would fit without using a backhoe to press the lid down or be an origami master. lol

JKChad

Observer
Here's my temp ac setup from last weekend. Tent easily got into the mid 60's after an hour or so of running. It's an old 5k btu unit my dad had. I plan to build a shroud this weekend and plumb the feed and return tubes through the side flaps. Sure as heck made our humid upper 80's low 90's temps a lot more tolerable, especially with our 2.5 year old.
IMG_20180526_195648587_HDR.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online