Long distance off-road capable moto hauler…

neduro

For years, I had an E350 van with a 7.3 diesel that I took to various motorcycle rides all over the West. When I sold it with nearly 300k miles, it had been all over the US and Baja, often making AZ or CA overnight for a race or ride and then pointed directly back home.

I’ve been doing less of that kind of thing for the last few years, and had migrated to a motorhome for slower travel and riding, and a more off-road capable rig for adventures, but I find that I miss the ability to set the cruise at the speed limit plus 7 and inhale 600 miles without concern for hills, headwinds, or much of anything else. So here I go on another project.

The vision is a truck that will happily do big miles on the highway at 80+mph, that will gobble up non-technical dirt at decent speed without needing to tiptoe through the occasional rough patch, and carry a couple of motos at least, preferably inside a shell of some sort. I am not looking to rock crawl, but I do enjoy being able to traverse dirt roads quickly and comfortably (think fire roads, not jeep routes).

I’m still in the design/ decision phase, about 90% settled on a late-model Ram 2500 w a Cummins as the starting point. I have a few questions for the assembled wisdom here, but I thought it would be fun to start with a few pics of past rigs with thoughts on their strengths and weaknesses.

Questions in the next post.

After I sold the van, the first version of a travel truck was a Defender 90 I brought over from the UK in 2012. I picked it up at the port in Philadelphia and my Mom and I drove down the Blue Ridge to her house in Asheville before I headed West. A lethargic 3.5 V8 combined with a tiny gas tank made for poor average speeds, but I loved how that thing drove and turned every trip into a little mini adventure.

i-JDmTsnK-X4.jpg

i-D96CxPm-X4.jpg

I wound up putting in a newer 4.0 from a Range Rover, hoping to make it more streetable, and wound up with more questions than answers. But it was fun to try.

Everybody is your friend in an old Land Rover- there is none of the stinkeye that I have experienced traveling in other mechanically interesting but possibly pretentious vehicles.

Pros:
Hysterical fun to drive
Even going to the grocery store feels like a safari

Cons:
~50mph top speed and ~150 mile range
Bring tools

FJ:

The woman I was dating at the time refused to head to Mexico in the Rover, so I bought a well set up FJ60 from a friend for a trip we had planned. The truck had a 5 speed behind the stock 2F, OME suspension, 33” tires, and a Baja Rack for the same RTT.

i-LLKsjVv-X4.jpg

i-mb64pfs-X4.jpg

i-xfhh5sk-X5.jpg

I had some great trips in that truck, but after a run across New Mexico into a headwind, where I was maxed at 38mph and 6mpg, I was done. I wanted something more modern.

Pros:
Utterly reliable- total emergency repairs in 40k of travel consisted of replacing a single headlight bulb.
Comfy and quiet

Cons:
Slow and inefficient- barely capable of driving with traffic
Only one moto

Enter the current rig, a 2006 Toyota Tundra. I wanted the older/ smaller model, and stumbled across a TRD with 38k miles in 2015.

I fabbed up carrier for the RTT, threw a set of Fox 2.0 shocks all around, replaced the stock tires with slightly larger BFG ATs, and have really enjoyed it, except for a couple things which I will get to.

i-gh5JTtB-X4.jpg

i-HnCPNRt-L.jpg

i-2zPnXPw-X5.jpg

The truck is fantastic offroad, but on the highway the transmission hunts so much that I essentially can’t use cruise control. I’m starting to want to carry/ tow more, and it doesn’t have much to recommend it in those areas, and finally, I’m offended by the 13 mpg it gets. It isn’t big enough, fast enough, or capable enough to deserve it somehow. I know it doesn’t matter in the scheme of things, but there you go.

Pros:
Great off road
Totally reliable and inexpensive to own

Cons:
Mileage
Stressful to drive on the interstate as transmission hunts
Lack of towing/ payload capability.

So, onward.

Next post: Current thoughts and questions for those of you who have been living with/ overlanding the full size American trucks.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Haul 2-3 bikes all of the time with my cruise set to 83. Tailgate has to be down though, with a 6.5 bed. I have to slow down for washboards and such as I'm still stock. Looking towards a 2" Carli or 4" BDS suspension, 37" STT's, and King shocks.

You don't need a diesel to haul bikes. Save yourself the headaches, if you want.

neduro

Buliwyf: 100% true that I don't need a diesel to haul bikes, but I sure like how they drive, and having lived with them in the past, I understand the pros and cons. My mind is made up on that point.

As for bed length, I think I can live with a 6.5 bed with some fabrication, or, I may do a custom flatbed/ service body approach where I can give myself the extra few inches I need (to get the tailgate up!).

So, on to some questions:

- Ford vs. Dodge.

I have driven recent versions of both, and like them both. I don't like the Chevy, so that's out. I think the coils on the Dodge 2500 are an advantage, and I can buy one for about $8k less than an equivalent Ford. Given that I don't have a big preference either way, seems like I'll go Dodge.

Is there an advantage to either brand that I'm missing?

- Tire size and Lift.

One thing I am concerned about is the weight of a diesel in softer conditions like the beaches I enjoy camping on and washes I enjoy driving across (or up). Seems like I can get to about a 35" tire on stock height suspension, which will probably be more efficient on the highway. But, will that be a limitation offroad, less from a clearance standpoint than from an air down/ soft terrain standpoint? I'm not real sure how to evaluate this.

I had a brief flirtation with buying an AEV Prospector, but concluded that some of their trademark stuff (front bumper and winch, huge tires, etc) aren't important/ beneficial to me, and digressive damping is not my taste. My thoughts have evolved to stock height but King dampers.

Thoughts appreciated.

D

Deleted member 9101

You'll never get stellar fuel economy in a truck doing 80.

Now... if you get an F150 with the Ecoboost you will get diesel like performance with out the diesel like price.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The new Fords can fit 37x13.5" tires on a 18x8 +18mm rim with just a leveling kit. If 37's rub, it'll be minor on the radius arms or the sway bar. And often, you can run without dropping the sway bar mounts, which cures said rub. 4" kits with radius arms should clear 37-38" easy.

35" tires should fit and clear everything easy, bone stock. (pretty sure that was something designed into the new trucks)

I liked the front axle and interior on the '17+ Ford better. I don't recall if the regular dodge models can have an OEM rear locker. I had already made up my mind before getting to that. The E-locker is a must have for what they charge for one.

Make sure your rear Kings, if you go Ford, have plenty of rebound damping. I'm even considering bypass shocks for the rear with extra firm rebound damping. then dialing out rebound with the bypass. Filthy Motorsports has decent drop in kits now.

Last edited:

Kingsize24

IMO.... Tradesman 3500 Cummins, Aisin, 4x4, 8ft bed with a barn door topper, Thuren suspension with his new leafs, 37×13.50's, and done.

You can beat your head against the wall back and forth, but that will be the simplest, and cheapest way to get you there. That and you don't deal with the TPMS issues of the 2500. Check out Don Thurens personal 3500 truck. Stupid simple, and dead works.

Kingsize24

What are the TPMS issues?

Lights and audible warnings on the DIC for pressures less than manufacture specification. The 3500 and up uses a TPIS which is an informational only system, so you can run any tire pressure you want without the bells, chimes, and christmas lights.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The new Fords can fit 37x13.5" tires on a 18x8 +18mm rim with just a leveling kit. If 37's rub, it'll be minor on the radius arms or the sway bar. And often, you can run without dropping the sway bar mounts, which cures said rub. 4" kits with radius arms should clear 37-38" easy.

35" tires should fit and clear everything easy, bone stock. (pretty sure that was something designed into the new trucks)

I liked the front axle and interior on the '17+ Ford better. I don't recall if the regular dodge models can have an OEM rear locker. I had already made up my mind before getting to that. The E-locker is a must have for what they charge for one.

Make sure your rear Kings, if you go Ford, have plenty of rebound damping. I'm even considering bypass shocks for the rear with extra firm rebound damping. then dialing out rebound with the bypass. Filthy Motorsports has decent drop in kits now.
I think the new Fords lost 5.5' on their turning radius chucking the covered wagon technology leaf springs. I borrowed my BIL's leaf sprung Supercab and had to re-educate myself on turns.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I think the new Fords lost 5.5' on their turning radius chucking the covered wagon technology leaf springs. I borrowed my BIL's leaf sprung Supercab and had to re-educate myself on turns.
I've ridden in new Rams and Fords with the Carli leveling kits. What an improvement over my truck. Either one soaked up the bumps and was nice and quiet.

Explorerinil

Observer
IMO.... Tradesman 3500 Cummins, Aisin, 4x4, 8ft bed with a barn door topper, Thuren suspension with his new leafs, 37×13.50's, and done.

You can beat your head against the wall back and forth, but that will be the simplest, and cheapest way to get you there. That and you don't deal with the TPMS issues of the 2500. Check out Don Thurens personal 3500 truck. Stupid simple, and dead works.
Couldn’t have said it better, I got the dual alternators and would recommend that as well. Get a caravan camper shell, a front winch/bumper and a rear bumper with some backup lights and your pretty much set, only thing else would be a titan spare tire replacement fuel tank.

Explorerinil

Observer
For years, I had an E350 van with a 7.3 diesel that I took to various motorcycle rides all over the West. When I sold it with nearly 300k miles, it had been all over the US and Baja, often making AZ or CA overnight for a race or ride and then pointed directly back home.

I’ve been doing less of that kind of thing for the last few years, and had migrated to a motorhome for slower travel and riding, and a more off-road capable rig for adventures, but I find that I miss the ability to set the cruise at the speed limit plus 7 and inhale 600 miles without concern for hills, headwinds, or much of anything else. So here I go on another project.

The vision is a truck that will happily do big miles on the highway at 80+mph, that will gobble up non-technical dirt at decent speed without needing to tiptoe through the occasional rough patch, and carry a couple of motos at least, preferably inside a shell of some sort. I am not looking to rock crawl, but I do enjoy being able to traverse dirt roads quickly and comfortably (think fire roads, not jeep routes).

I’m still in the design/ decision phase, about 90% settled on a late-model Ram 2500 w a Cummins as the starting point. I have a few questions for the assembled wisdom here, but I thought it would be fun to start with a few pics of past rigs with thoughts on their strengths and weaknesses.

Questions in the next post.

After I sold the van, the first version of a travel truck was a Defender 90 I brought over from the UK in 2012. I picked it up at the port in Philadelphia and my Mom and I drove down the Blue Ridge to her house in Asheville before I headed West. A lethargic 3.5 V8 combined with a tiny gas tank made for poor average speeds, but I loved how that thing drove and turned every trip into a little mini adventure.

i-JDmTsnK-X4.jpg

i-D96CxPm-X4.jpg

I wound up putting in a newer 4.0 from a Range Rover, hoping to make it more streetable, and wound up with more questions than answers. But it was fun to try.

Everybody is your friend in an old Land Rover- there is none of the stinkeye that I have experienced traveling in other mechanically interesting but possibly pretentious vehicles.

Pros:
Hysterical fun to drive
Even going to the grocery store feels like a safari

Cons:
~50mph top speed and ~150 mile range
Bring tools

FJ:

The woman I was dating at the time refused to head to Mexico in the Rover, so I bought a well set up FJ60 from a friend for a trip we had planned. The truck had a 5 speed behind the stock 2F, OME suspension, 33” tires, and a Baja Rack for the same RTT.

i-LLKsjVv-X4.jpg

i-mb64pfs-X4.jpg

i-xfhh5sk-X5.jpg

I had some great trips in that truck, but after a run across New Mexico into a headwind, where I was maxed at 38mph and 6mpg, I was done. I wanted something more modern.

Pros:
Utterly reliable- total emergency repairs in 40k of travel consisted of replacing a single headlight bulb.
Comfy and quiet

Cons:
Slow and inefficient- barely capable of driving with traffic
Only one moto

Enter the current rig, a 2006 Toyota Tundra. I wanted the older/ smaller model, and stumbled across a TRD with 38k miles in 2015.

I fabbed up carrier for the RTT, threw a set of Fox 2.0 shocks all around, replaced the stock tires with slightly larger BFG ATs, and have really enjoyed it, except for a couple things which I will get to.

i-gh5JTtB-X4.jpg

i-HnCPNRt-L.jpg

i-2zPnXPw-X5.jpg

The truck is fantastic offroad, but on the highway the transmission hunts so much that I essentially can’t use cruise control. I’m starting to want to carry/ tow more, and it doesn’t have much to recommend it in those areas, and finally, I’m offended by the 13 mpg it gets. It isn’t big enough, fast enough, or capable enough to deserve it somehow. I know it doesn’t matter in the scheme of things, but there you go.

Pros:
Great off road
Totally reliable and inexpensive to own

Cons:
Mileage
Stressful to drive on the interstate as transmission hunts
Lack of towing/ payload capability.

So, onward.

Next post: Current thoughts and questions for those of you who have been living with/ overlanding the full size American trucks.
That defender 90 is definitely one of the coolest vehicles I have seen on this forum, if not the coolest. I would love to have that.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Before you settle on anything answer me this question: Are you planning on going to Mexico or any other third world country that doesn't offer super low sulfur diesel? If so, any domestic diesel pickup built after about 2006 or 07 depending on the mfgr. will have particulate filters, D.E.F. tanks and maybe some other add-ons to clear the soot, clearly a no-no south of the border. If it were me, and I'm obviously biased with my own paradigm, I would buy something like this pre-smog 24 valve Cummins I found in the Reno craigslist: https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-dodge-ram-2500-slt-quad/6574566236.html
and companion TC from the same owner: https://reno.craigslist.org/tro/d/2015-lance-825-no-sales-tax/6600527259.html
This is a great lashup. Simple. Lasting. No auto trans to break down in the bush. Stout drivetrain. Very tight turning circle. Stiff frame so no 3-point needed. The orig. owner above has done all the major maintenance and upgrades for you. How do i know? Mine is the same basic truck and camper and I'm very happy with it. We've camped and toured in this rig for 18 years, over some god awful routes, and for 2 people it fulfills all our expectations. The only downside i can see is the power. Newer diesels with their 850-900 pound feet of Torque will blow the old RAM Cummins 505-550 pound feet of Torque right out of the water.
The above add has been on over 20 days without selling so a lower price could result. I have no business interest in this: just a comparo to what ever else your are looking at, especially as a package deal.

open this drop box link for a short mv4 of this rig's capabilities:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9nfstvqf6hk4ab/up Fish Cr. Anza.m4v?dl=0
jefe

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior