Gaia and problem with Death Valley

Superduty

Adventurer
I am having a problem when searching for Death Valley National Park on GaiaGPS.com and then trying to send a map of the park to the app. It used to send the map for the park, more recently gaiagps.com thinks you are asking for a 2.93 mile trail.

These are the results when you select Death Valley National Park:

"Death Valley National Park is a 2.93 mi trail through Death Valley National Park."

Can someone see if they have the same issue?

Mccaf

Adventurist
Contact Gaia via the help. They are very responsive and have always had a solution to my most complicated issues.

Superduty

Adventurer
Contact Gaia via the help. They are very responsive and have always had a solution to my most complicated issues.

Not a helpful response to what I asked. I'm asking if others see this same problem, not asking for a solution here. Unless of course nobody else sees this issue, then it's likely my error.

But in response to your suggesting to contact Gaia, I did at the end of April when the problem first surfaced. Their response is that they will "continue to work on this issue".

This problem did not exist in mid April.

Gaia seems to fix some issues and others don't seem too important to them or a solution is not possible?

For months the android version stops showing your track until you go to a different screen and then return to the live map screen. For some reason they haven't fixed it.

Another Android example is when manually selecting maps on your tablet or phone you can't see what areas have been previously downloaded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Superduty

Adventurer
I’ll check on my device but I am on iOS

Thank you for offering to check.

I don't THINK it should matter bc this is searching the location on gaiagps.com, then sending it to the app.

This is a great way to send large areas of maps to your tablet. Far bigger areas are allowed this way vs manually selecting an area. Death Valley seems to be the only area I am experiencing a problem with.

As an example I just tested the Santa Monica mountains and it worked fine.

On the web site you can search for a national forest, then send the map for the whole forest to your tablet. Whereas manually selecting the forest may be too large an area otherwise.

Mccaf

Adventurist
Thank you for offering to check.

This is a great way to send large areas of maps to your tablet. Far bigger areas are allowed this way vs manually selecting an area. Death Valley seems to be the only area I am experiencing a problem with.

On the web site you can search for a national forest, then send the map for the whole forest to your tablet. Whereas manually selecting the forest may be too large an area otherwise.

It works on the app and the .com site for me. See images.

On the the version I am using (pro) national forests do show up in the “public lands” layer in maps.
You don’t have to “send it” , as it’s already a layer. Again not sure if this is in the non-pro version or Pro version only. I seem to remember it was.

If you don’t see it in the layers, hit edit and you can pick the layers you want readily available.
I can’t remember if it was a choice or not... I had no idea about hitting the “edit”button in layers until I asked Gaia.
If you don’t want a certain layer available, while in edit hit the x and it will not be there. You always have the ability to bring it back at a future time. For instance I hit x on the CLASSIC TOPO as I thought the topo 2016 was better....

I contacted them and asked for a trial of the pro version and they sent me a link with a keyword immediately, to which I tried and loved.

Hope this helps.

1&2 are the app search for Death Valley 3&4 are the .com search and 5 is how the national forests show up.2D45F27B-26BA-4547-AFF0-046A2BE09E9D.pngD22DFEDB-0A8C-4136-A877-B3A6F56FB60F.png894D72AF-0621-445D-994B-34663264D558.png41E21B74-DE4B-4CB8-BF81-3EDBC3F44A76.png63EFFEE7-3337-4F28-AAB2-0CFA455FAAB9.png

Superduty

Adventurer
It is now not working again. I have been trying to get this to work again since the end of April. When I opened a ticket with them, they acknowledged the problem. As of Friday night the problem still existed. As of this morning it is now working again. I guess Mccaf fixed it.... :)

Are you able to download all of death valley straight through the IOS app? I don't think that is possible on Android, I don't see that option. Downloads within the Android app appear to only be by manually selecting an area and the download limits make it hard to get a large area. Whereas selecting death valley in gaiagps.com and sending it to the app some layers are over 3gb at a time.

Also when I search Death Valley in the app, I do not get the drop down of different death valley options you get in the app, I only get that on the .com site.

I am using the pro version as well.

Last edited:

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Not a helpful response to what I asked. I'm asking if others see this same problem, not asking for a solution here. Unless of course nobody else sees this issue, then it's likely my error.

But in response to your suggesting to contact Gaia, I did at the end of April when the problem first surfaced. Their response is that they will "continue to work on this issue".

This problem did not exist in mid April.

Gaia seems to fix some issues and others don't seem too important to them or a solution is not possible?

For months the android version stops showing your track until you go to a different screen and then return to the live map screen. For some reason they haven't fixed it.

Another Android example is when manually selecting maps on your tablet or phone you can't see what areas have been previously downloaded.

You will figure out GAIA doesn't really care about us on Android. I have been complaining for almost a year about some bugs and have at least a dozen open tickets with them and the only response I ever get is "we're working on it" or some other lip service.
IOS is the only version they care about.
I was contacted about being a beta tester then when I responded they didn't want the help.
A couple months ago they were looking for a Android programmer but I don't know what happened...no updates in months and they really need them badly.
If they bugs were to be fixed this could be a great app, and I keep thinking they will care and fix it. But nope.

Darrell

Superduty

Adventurer
Darrell, I would agree ios is definitely a higher priority for them compared to Android. I suspect they have more ios subscribers.

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
It is now working again. I have been trying to get this to work again since the end of April. When I opened a ticket with them, they acknowledged the problem. As of Friday night the problem still existed. As of this morning it is now working again. I guess Mccaf fixed it.... :)

Are you able to download all of death valley straight through the IOS app? I don't think that is possible on Android, I don't see that option. Downloads within the Android app appear to only be by manually selecting an area and the download limits make it hard to get a large area. Whereas selecting death valley in gaiagps.com and sending it to the app some layers are over 3gb at a time.

Also when I search Death Valley in the app, I do not get the drop down of different death valley options you get in the app, I only get that on the .com site.

I am using the pro version as well.

I spoke too soon. It is NOT working for me. Mccaf, after you select Death Valley try sending it to your ipad from the gaiagps.com. What result do you get?

This is what it shows for me. This is what it is suppose to be. For example the USGS topo for DV is 3.3gb of data.

357964-5bebed9df4e804a9671ff35a4780a1b3.jpg

But then when it gets sent to the app (android tablet) it only sends a short trail and its surrounding area comprised of 243 tiles instead of the older DV downloads I did in the same manner which were 164,286 tiles.

357965-165f3f4466d5eafb99aad7d3fea22ecd.jpg

Attachments

• gaia dv.JPG
    gaia dv.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 7
  • gaia dv1.JPG
    gaia dv1.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 6

Superduty

Adventurer
I think marshmallow.

But this issue had nothing to do with the os. This is a gaisgps.com issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior