Beginner bike for a non-enthusiast

Bravo8Delta

Triple crank is nothing the SRAM NX Eagle group set couldn't take care of. I am probably going to upgrade my wifes RockHopper with it this year.

ultraclyde

Observer
Everybody hates on triples now, but it's just cause they're not "cool." They work fine. Sure, they're little heavier, but they give you a nice gear spread. Don't get hung up on specs for a first bike. Find one that fits, shifts, and stops and go try out the trails.

Remember, only a poor craftsman blames his tools. Pro riders will still whip your a** on a Huffy.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Cross your fingers for me guys, if all goes to plan I'm going to swing by the bike shop after work to see about getting that Catalyst 2. Hope they don't close early, I guess they could sell it before I get there, but I doubt any giants are going to swing by since I last seen it. (It's last years model, I bet it's been there a while. Also it's kind of an OD green, I like that color a lot better than say, purple. :p )

Everything I read on it says it's a sold beginner bike and should do fine until I progress, the price makes it obtainable from my goof off fund.

Thanks everyone for your input, it helped a lot.

s.e.charles

...the unwritten rule about triple cranks . . .

I had a triple, but could never figure out which side of the bottom bracket it mounted. then there was the "only two feet" issue, so in the end I put it up on craigslist. they're goin' like hot-cakes over there.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Cross your fingers for me guys, if all goes to plan I'm going to swing by the bike shop after work to see about getting that Catalyst 2. Hope they don't close early, I guess they could sell it before I get there, but I doubt any giants are going to swing by since I last seen it. (It's last years model, I bet it's been there a while. Also it's kind of an OD green, I like that color a lot better than say, purple. :p )

Everything I read on it says it's a sold beginner bike and should do fine until I progress, the price makes it obtainable from my goof off fund.

Thanks everyone for your input, it helped a lot.
I had to search for a picture of the OD Green. I like it too. Enjoy the ride and post some of your adventures/ trip reports in the Xterra and bike here for us keyboard jockeys to ride along with.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I was in there yesterday picking up a crank removal tool, and saw the od green Catalyst. Good looking bike.

All went well and I picked it up before they closed yesterday. Needs some minor adjusting to fit me better perhaps, but so far I'm liking it. I need some adjusting to fit it as well I suppose....

Kinda bummed it looks like it's going to be wet this weekend.

3TFsBEfX2dBrft854A6vswKDf96Wf0W1Q7OaCzE6-Iv0P0SzVC1QJfVtSXQ6Q0vj0u7T-K9PEWTBpIiB9Hale5lXBPTy5dC27hwzfJ48FqA9ZmqS6SLHRNZi8puA-unPO2q80aqMGbqWUhhR-PpThkdgg-EtSuhGJ6tH3iuP39G_33NqIAxrBr8u1eyJzfSye6DSwI44A0C7z10iqVPGlXwGFu22cloCrf73ZkXXCzGXZBFJC9F6Ks0K-bpjT9Ph0mz80U9gU-K9FRgCfqZcgnhgcHwObNXx-VQ7QiknCTb13lA4OCSN9JLY_OnAAGjJZynx8BXMerAuXnq6KFkj4e7BlBh2J5H_Sl7yInhrJCd4IwP2fnUomIzV3MK83fB-7sOnVREMA4QFl_vnPGV_oblnstaCkC7FQvLIGnPf0Q6VXgBQrFm5gazuCgZZ1Dr6aRCx_rbK7Oo9JEtivr1qGdrNXQIa9-7zW5pPMCemQjvjlj0YevHVSJ4WZwoLH5scftPCx-TPVaWDlZmTbArvOVTRFtPf5Bhe7c5B1vycK9-DSMpDJHzFARpeURL3MLvkobiXjF1eopBs23HLJq5-1jYNraSdY2B896qN1gc=w1116-h837-no

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Cool!

The OD green is cool, but I'm a fan of understated things. A buddy of mine has a purple Fat Chance and I'll tell you that is an appropriate color, but it's a throw back to the 1990s era Yo Eddy.

IMG_1408_mid.jpg

ultraclyde

Observer
Looks like a great bike! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you actually get on trail. I'm headed out to ride tonight and I lead a beginner ride after work on Thursdays. I love getting new people involved.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
The more I research this it looks like my biggest learning curve is going to be comfort. I've never been one to wear athletic clothing, I don't like athletic clothing, but I may have to suck it up to some extent. Frankly when I first ran across padded shorts I though they were hilarious, the last few evenings just some very casual riding in the yard it's not seeming so silly to get some padding before I expect to go very far.

While I think my bike is a good enough bike to start out on, I already know I'm going to have a learning curve getting it to where it doesn't hurt to ride it. Between what I wear and the adjustments on the bike, I'm thinking this will be a more difficult task than I figured. The seat on it is genuinely awful, I'm already looking at an alternative with at least some padding on it.

I ordered some basic stuff, helmet, gloves, and a pair of baggy shorts that may or may not be any count.

I'm thinking my first ride in any seriousness will be on a nice paved walking path I know of to see if I can figure out how bad I'm set up before I'm out in the middle of the woods. I'm also in no shape to take on too much at once, I'll just end up sucking air and miserable if I bite off more than I can chew too quick.

Bravo8Delta

New seat was the first thing I did on my new bike. I finally decided to buy a Ergon, they have a machine you can sit on and it gives you seat options. I do own a pair of padded shorts, but rarely wear them. I wear jeans, work pants, 5.11 pants, cargo shorts, but never spandex.

Mammoth cave has a nice gravel trail to ride when it is wet. If you park near Locust Grove Cemetery and ride toward the visitor center you will have a nice flat gravel trail. Low Hollow (Weldon Pete) can beat your sit bones with the tree roots on the trail, but they do have a nice paved section in the middle area to help you get comfortable.

Any time you want to ride or got a question shoot me a text or call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles