For Sale: Mercedes Benz 1222 4x4 Ready for Conv. to Exp. Vehicle (Price Reduction to 33,000!)

The reserve price is much lower than the buy it now price. This is a great value on a truck fully legally imported, titled, and registered. Just needs someone with the time to build it out!

Joe917

Explorer
It looks like a great truck for a build, but, this is a small market and it won't sell fast so I would not push too hard. Your pricing is fair , I just think you are going to have to wait for the right buyer. Good luck.

It looks like a great truck for a build, but, this is a small market and it won't sell fast so I would not push too hard. Your pricing is fair , I just think you are going to have to wait for the right buyer. Good luck.

Joe...I appreciate your comment. I am out of room that is why I am working to sell it right now. It is low enough (it MUCH less than the price I paid: purchase, transportation, duties, customs, etc.) so it will be a GREAT deal for the right buyer. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Carolina4x4

I am interested in how much you think it would cost to bring this up to expedition level. Nothing fancy, just insulated, reliable, capable off road, sand, etc. We plan S. America and Africa in two years from now, but don't want to sink too much "travel" money into the vehicle itself. We have a 2013 4 runner we could use and save the expense of a larger rig, but long-term in a roof-top tent with two kids is not exactly optimal. So what are we looking at, folks, to bring this thing up to speed without going nuts? The less there is in and on the rig, the less there is to go wrong is surely a good approach. Also, my building skills are limited!

Sitec

Adventurer
I am interested in how much you think it would cost to bring this up to expedition level. Nothing fancy, just insulated, reliable, capable off road, sand, etc. We plan S. America and Africa in two years from now, but don't want to sink too much "travel" money into the vehicle itself. We have a 2013 4 runner we could use and save the expense of a larger rig, but long-term in a roof-top tent with two kids is not exactly optimal. So what are we looking at, folks, to bring this thing up to speed without going nuts? The less there is in and on the rig, the less there is to go wrong is surely a good approach. Also, my building skills are limited!

I bought a 1222A with a plan too build my own body.. I paid approx the same $$ for an almost identicaltruck with slightly more kms and a crane instead of a box... I then sat down and costed the materials to build the body... When I got to $10000 aud and had still not costed in tanks, furniture, battery's, etc etc I had to change the plan... That's why I bought the second hand ex mine spec coach body I now have. With that truck, you have a platform, and a box. There's still a lot of work but the basis of a nice truck is there... Add a min of $10000 for a fit out inc windows, insulation, basic heating, kitchen, compost toilet etc, and allow a min of a yr build time.. Re traveling, though the costs of using/shipping a truck will be higher than your 4wd, I think you'd soon be over traveling long term in such a small vehicle... We were, and we had a forward control Land Rover with reasonable space... If that truck is in your budget, in your reach, and already officially imported and documented in the US then the first bit of hard work is done. Join the club of crazy people turning trucks into homes!! :)

Joe917

Explorer
$ 10000 is a very lean budget for a fit out. you can spend $5000 on solar and inverters alone! A quality budget would be closer to $40000.

Sitec

Adventurer
$ 10000 is a very lean budget for a fit out. you can spend $5000 on solar and inverters alone! A quality budget would be closer to $40000.

It is indeed. I agree, but, I think with the amount of LED lights available now etc I think a simple fit out could be done with basic lighting, composting toilet, simple Ikea kitchen and a few second hand items etc.. You'd be right on the budget for a higher spec build... I guess I'm looking at it based on my build... where I already have the cooker, gas system, beds, generator, jerry cans, lockers etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles