Custom trailer, chassis and all, from scratch

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes, 7K tandem is the plan. In initial looking, Flexiride, Mor/Ryde, Dexter's Torflex and Dallas Smith & Timbren's axle-less bolt-ons look interesting.

The extra ride stiffness when not fully loaded is an issue will need dealing with.

With the off-grid living pod, adding more deep-cycle batteries, fresh water and propane tankage can always help,

an 80gal LPG tank should last a while, even camping in the snow.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Seriously this is one of those "just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something" situations.
I’m not even sure you can do this.

By your own admission, you are a noob. You seem to want to start at the top. Building the ultimate trailer. Something nobody has ever conceived.

Please take this advice. Build a small utility trailer. Learn from your mistakes. Then start building more specific use trailers.

One of the most interesting ones I made was a wild pig trapping and hauling trailer. It had to be light enough to be pulled by a Polaris Ranger heavy enough to contain a load of angry pigs going down the highway at 70 mph and have some very specific purpose driven accessories. It had an octogon shaped cage, a fully enclosed hinged ramp with a one way spring loaded door, a 2000 lb winch to hold the trap to the trailer while loading pigs from the trap, storage for bait and tools and other things that make pig trapping safer.

I never thought about putting a boat on it or sleeping in it.

Define your priorities and be realistic about them.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Yes, 7K tandem is the plan. ... Timbren's axle-less bolt-ons look interesting.

The extra ride stiffness when not fully loaded is an issue will need dealing with.
Timbren only goes up to 3500 lbs. So a tandem Timbren would 7k. I’m building one with Timbren now.

I don’t believe you can soften springs at will when there is no load on them. My 14k and up trailers have never complained to me once that they were empty.

john61ct

Adventurer
Anyone who can afford a 30’ boat can afford the proper trailer to haul it with.
These are not recreational toys. I am abandoning stick & bricks living, plan to dwell permanently off grid and remain mobile.

No rent no mortgage, boat pays for itself pretty quickly, and plenty of great ones available every week for well under $10K.

So thanks for the opinion, but that is not the topic here.

I also am not interested in owning multiple trailers, even if that would be cheaper.

Even if the boat comes with a free trailer, I won't be keeping it, maybe cannibalize it for parts.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes, 7K tandem is the plan. ... Timbren's axle-less bolt-ons look interesting.

Timbren only goes up to 3500 lbs. So a tandem Timbren would 7k. I’m building one with Timbren now.

I don’t believe you can soften springs at will when there is no load on them. My 14k and up trailers have never complained to me once that they were empty.

3 sec google returns https://www.suspensionconnection.com/asr7ks01-timbren-axle-less.html

Never said anything about softening springs at will, just responding to
I would think that any suspension that could handle the heaviest proposed loads would be all but solid (useless) under the lighter proposed loads.
Sounds like you're saying the above is one less problem to worry about?

Obviously when on rough dirt, won't be going highway speeds. I'm never in a hurry. . .

john61ct

Adventurer
I've come across threads where people have found multiple Timbrens are the same steel components, the "air bags" rated for different weights are interchangeable, and they got Timbren to advise and send them out.

Another alternative is to just swap out the whole suspension, just six bolts right?

But then maybe we're back to hub pattern issues :cool:

Buffalobwana

Observer
3 sec google returns https://www.suspensionconnection.com/asr7ks01-timbren-axle-less.html

Never said anything about softening springs at will, just responding to
Sounds like you're saying the above is one less problem to worry about?

Obviously when on rough dirt, won't be going highway speeds. I'm never in a hurry. . .
Zero to defensive in 3 seconds.

You asked for help on an idea. Some of us have entertained the idea, to a certain point, then politely hinted that it’s not feasible, practical or reasonable. Pointing out why, giving you guidelines and other directions to go in.

Give us a drawing. Something tangible. Blueprints, not dreams.

Good luck with your dream trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior