No key!!!!

Plumberjohn

Observer
Hello All,

I have a (couple!) ‘03 Montero Limited. This one is a parts machine (Partsubishi is her name). I can not for the life of me find the key. And of course, I need to move it. Does anyone know how to shift one of these into neutral without a key? Also, steering would be cool too...

Little help would be grand

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
You will likely need to remove the steering lock cylinder assembly to order to turn the wheels. ...not positive this will allow you to shift into neutral...I believe there may be a connection to disconnect if you remove the trim around the transmission shifter.
Below is a link to the FSM steering section.
http://www.pajero4x4.ru/piii/GR00003600-37A.pdf

PCO6

Adventurer
"In for info". I'm about to buy a parts car (Jeep Comanche) and the vendor hasn't been able to find the key, so far. We'll get it out of there some how but being able to steer would be a big help!

Plumberjohn

Observer
Thanks Inyo_Man! I’ll check that link out.

The dealer is looking into making a key, but it’s atound $100. Not really looking forward to spending $ on a parts car. I took the center consul apart looking for a way to shift it, but no luck. Lost cars have a spot that you can shove a key or screwdriver into to release the lock out, but I just don’t see one on this one. I may need to pop below and do it from the trans. Not even sure if that’s possible.

zerodrift

Adventurer
You may be able to save some money if you don't need the transponder unit. You wouldn't be able to turn the car on (assuming it runs), but should be able to roll it around.

Plumberjohn

Observer
That’s what I was hoping for. The local Mits dealer looked into it, then didn’t call back. I’ll have to follow up with them. They can cut a key for sure by vin # though. Maybe I’ll see if Canadian Tire has the one without transponder. Thanks!

Plumberjohn

Observer
PCO6, you may be able to get the dealer to cut a key by VIN as well. Just have to see how far back their records go. Good luck!

PCO6

Adventurer
I haven't checked in on this thread for quite a while. The seller called me to say that after turning his house upside down he found the ignition key (a duplicate). I was able to turn the steering wheel and I got the Jeep home safely. When I picked it up I lifted the driver's side floor mat and found a set of the original keys! They had been sitting there for 19 years which is when he parked the car.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Sold my Gen 3 so i can't be specific (and may be making this up) BUT there is a little cover with a spot to put a flat screwdriver in. Pry that off and shove said screwdriver into the hole, it should push the shift lock to override it. As for the ignition lock that's tougher, I personally would disconnect the steering shaft (after marking the orientation) and have a homie steer it at the tire.

OR go to harbor freight and buy a set of car dollies. They're about $100 for 4 but then you have them for next time you need to move a machine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz