RTIC 65 vs Fridge

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Our trailer has a perfect spot for the RTIC 65, and I'm considering replacing it with a fridge.

I'm confused on Dometic fridges CFX 50 says 46L or 72 Cans, while RTIC 65 is 65Qt but only 64 cans??? My concern is losing space inside the fridge compared to a cooler, the compressor etc has to take up some space.

I'm not set on which brand Fridge, just started looking and not sure I'll even switch unless the cost is right.

Thanks

rickc

Adventurer
Odd question as they don't really serve the same function; when I used a cooler for more than a few days, I used to load it with freezer packs to prolong chill but at the expense of food/drink capacity. For weekenders and day trips, a cooler generally works fine but for longer trips things I decide to get a fridge freezer; I went with a massive Dometic CFX75 to cope with me and three kids plus friends; food, beer, lemonade, ice cream. Lots of it! I only just got the fridge and we'll be testing it in two weeks.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Odd question as they don't really serve the same function; when I used a cooler for more than a few days, I used to load it with freezer packs to prolong chill but at the expense of food/drink capacity. For weekenders and day trips, a cooler generally works fine but for longer trips things I decide to get a fridge freezer; I went with a massive Dometic CFX75 to cope with me and three kids plus friends; food, beer, lemonade, ice cream. Lots of it! I only just got the fridge and we'll be testing it in two weeks.
What I'm confused on is that 46L is less than 65 Qts but holds more cans? Not sure how it can be smaller and hold more?

My reason for looking at a fridge/freezer vs our RTIC 65 is the fact that everything comes out soaking wet or water/melted ice gets in everything that isn't sealed perfect and the fact I could cool it down and pack food days before a trip or leave food in it between trips.

rickc

Adventurer
Smaller cans?! It may be an exact dimension effect; perhaps the Dometic is sized exactly for stacking and packing standard Coke cans whereas the RTIC is not, so there ends up being less cans and more unused space in the RTIC.

I hear you about wet/soggy food after several days. This is the main reason I have avoided or limited some foods when camping in the past; I plan meals so that as stuff "thaws" it gets used before getting soggy. Freezer packs work well to keep moisture to a minimum in a cooler but condensation always occurs a little.

jadmt

ignore button user
ice takes up a lot of space. I just replaced my Yeti 50 with an ARB 50 and ultimately there is so much more space in the ARB due to not having to have all the ice.

jadmt

ignore button user
I guess one way to look at is look at a 50 qt cooler and then realize that with a fridge you get that entire volume for food and drink instead of half food and drink and half ice.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I switched to a small fridge instead of a cooler, I love it. I have a super compact setup, just the little cargo area in the back, so I'm always trying to shed weight and loose bulk. You have more leeway of course with a trailer, but I still think a fridge is wonderful.

I don't have to worry about finding somewhere to get ice, my stuff isn't sopping wet, and it's so much lighter.

It's smaller but bigger, if you can wrap your mind around that. I used a 26qt cooler before and I usually had to fight to get it closed, but now a 18qt fridge seems like plenty, I actually throw extra stuff in sometimes to keep it full. It's because I don't have to take up space with ice. So get a fridge to fit your space, and know for that space, you are able to actually use all of it for your cold stuff, not your cold stuff + ice. Ice takes up a lot of space.

Another really cool thing about a fridge, is you can actually dig around in it and get stuff out of the bottom without making a big mess or freezing your hands, or busting ice. I mean you loose cold air that way, but it will recover unlike a cooler and once you let heat in, you loose that cooling capacity permanently. I also never trusted a cooler to keep my food at a safe temperature throughout. With my fridge, I set it to 32-34 usually, and it stays close to that as it cycles. I know everything in there is staying cold, not just whatever is floating in the cold water.

The big hurdle and cost is in keeping an ample and healthy power supply to it, in some cases I'd say that is more trouble than getting the fridge. On a trailer it will be slightly more difficult to set up than attached to the vehicle, but that also has it's own advantages.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Thanks for the info guys! The shape and lack of ice taking up space makes sense. I've always said I'd never need or want a fridge but lately issues you guys mentioned plus the convience and efficiency of a fridge is starting to grow on me.

krax

Adventurer
After switching from cooler to fridge, I'm convinced that the cooler is only the better choice in niche situations like elk hunts and fishing.

You lose more space in the cooler after you add ice. No man in existence ever says “Wish I went for that regular overpriced cooler instead of the fridge.’’

Unless of course you are a boater/hunter etc who needs portability. The volume sizes are indeed confusing accross manufacturers, coolers and fridges.

Just don’t overenginner the power system. People go way too crazy with supplying 12 volts.

Superduty

Adventurer
I never understood the fridge thing.......until of course I got one. If you can afford a fridge and have the space for it, I am not sure of any good arguments in favor of a cooler anymore. I have an ARB 63, one of the best purchases for exploring / camping I have ever made.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
I'd def keep the cooler, got it on sale a couple years and I use it in the Jeep, fishing trips and the wife's 4Runner on road trips etc

I keep hearing the same thing w no regrets switching to a fridge, guess it's time to start putting a few dollars aside and figure out what brand and size to go with.

No worries on over complicating the power source I'm a firm believer in the KISS principal.

Thx again for the replies and info ?

Here's where it would go, couldn't be any bigger than the RTIC 65, any issues that you could see w the location?

IMG_4574.jpg

I'd def keep the cooler, got it on sale a couple years and I use it in the Jeep, fishing trips and the wife's 4Runner on road trips etc

I keep hearing the same thing w no regrets switching to a fridge, guess it's time to start putting a few dollars aside and figure out what brand and size to go with.

No worries on over complicating the power source I'm a firm believer in the KISS principal.

Thx again for the replies and info ?

Here's where it would go, couldn't be any bigger than the RTIC 65, any issues that you could see w the location?

View attachment 456824

You could fit a pretty large fridge there. Excellent spot. I have an ARB but if I could do do it again I’d go Engel combi (fridge freezer or both) I feel like the arb is not very efficient with energy. But that’s a whole other can of worms discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier