keeping track of expenses, budgeting your project, hiding the receits from a significant other, using your vehicle project as an excuse to buy more

s.e.charles

most threads have a post or two relating to the cost or over-run of budget of their project. time very seldom enters into the equation, although if we were to ever add up hours I think astonishment would enter the picture.

but if someone were contemplating a new project, and had not done same previous, it might not be a bad thing if there was a source for some perspective.

although I didn't pick up any time accounting, these folks did something similar for materials regarding their van build out:

rayra

Expedition Leader
That's just idiots, not really a proper perspective. Or rather a distortive one. Not enough good sense to pour piss out of a boot with the directions printed on the sole.
Your overall point is valid, but one doesn't have to have 'same' experience to be a fair judge. All it takes is a little research and online comparison shopping to figure what something will ballpark cost. And there also seems to be a good bit of overlap between people that place a high value on their own labor and those that only have a narrow set of skills. Broadening your experience across many trades / skillsets yields all sorts of benefits, not just in projects but when you have more money than time it helps you determine when you are getting overcharged for something.
I build a lot of things in a lot of materials and genres. I modify and customize all manner of things and objects. I create tools, devices, parts from scratch. I'm a decent journeyman in almost all the trades. When people look on and ask how the hell I learned to do something I tell them 'just try', and that there isn't a lot of difference across it all. It's all puzzle-solving and learning the range of experienced 'tricks' and best practices in a field / endeavour. And to a great extent these days, there's YouTube / Google for that.
So work on planning and research skills, work on getting a better sense of the goal BEFORE you open your wallet. And try not to wander all over the landscape once the money starts to flow. Stay focused. Better shape / define your design BEFORE you start. Time spent on that will save a lot of money later.

MOguy

Explorer
most threads have a post or two relating to the cost or over-run of budget of their project. time very seldom enters into the equation, although if we were to ever add up hours I think astonishment would enter the picture.

but if someone were contemplating a new project, and had not done same previous, it might not be a bad thing if there was a source for some perspective.

although I didn't pick up any time accounting, these folks did something similar for materials regarding their van build out:

That didn't develop a budget they just added up what they paid.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
As part of the DIY classes we run at expo I always tell people to follow the 2-3/3-2 principle. That is it will either take twice as long and cost 3 times as much or will take 3 times as long and cost twice as much.

Most people add up the big items to get a ballpark figure and go from there. But it’s the little things that drive the costs up. Every trip to the hardware store, priority freight, farkles etc drive the cost up.

We are now 2 years into a 6 month build (truck has been usable for 18 months but no where near finished). I do not add up the costs. I really don’t want to know.

And if/when I die the missus sells my stuff for what I told her I paid for it some is going to get a bargain .

s.e.charles

...it’s the little things that drive the costs up. Every trip to the hardware store, priority freight,... etc drive the cost up. …..

aye-up. just finishing up varnishing some mahogany trim the other night. tossing another disposable brush into the bin, I thought "no one would believe I've spent almost $120 on brushes and sandpaper working on this flippin' thing".

then I realize if I went out and drank 3 beers a week, i'd still be whizzin' my money away just not have anything to show for it. no right or wrong; just is.

MOguy

Explorer
most authors don't title a book until after it has been written. go figure . . .
Not the same thing.

Budget comes before the build, it is the money part of the plan. The better and more thorough your plan the better your budget can be. You can go over budget, you can come in under budget. Budget for a period of time and or for a certain thing.

They are keeping track of expensive. There is nothing wrong with that, it just isn't a budget.

s.e.charles

I edited the thread title in order to appeal to a wider audience. i'll wager the succinct replies come flying in now.

ultraclyde

Observer
Budget...ahhh ha ha ha! Ha ha! Whoo....ah. good times, good times.

But seriously. What was said above is true. You can budget for large items but it's never a complete plan, doubly so if it's a used vehicle, more than that if its "vintage." I like the 2-3/3-2 idea, that seems accurate.

One of the hardest parts about making a project stick to a budget is honestly assessing your real needs. Not overbuilding a vehicle saves a lot of money.

Beyond that I think of building cars or boats or bikes as a hobby, and it's a different hobby than actually camping or exploring. If I spend money every month on an old worthless Jeep but I enjoy the time I spend working on it, I havent really lost money. I would have pissed it away some other way.

Of course all of that becomes vastly different if you are building a truck for a specific trip or challenge.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
To those who overspend and still put more in $ and time and then replace with something different or better, or build cabinets and modify to make more efficient,
Does it really matter?
I personally don't keep track of receipts on my truck/camper mods, if I want it I buy it or build it.
Hope I didn't get too far off track.

Smileyshaun

Observer
here's a great bit of advice .... don't hide expenses from your better half , best case scenario they are just mad when they find out , worse case it breaks the bond of trust they have with you and leads to all other sorts of relationship problems .

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Just remember the first rule of marriage and everything will be OK when embarking on any project.

"It's much easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier